cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
Transmission Coolers

Currently I only have the in tank transmission cooler on my '78 Dodge. I will be towing my cherokee behind me. I am thinking adding an AUX cooler out in front of everything might be a good idea. I have installed one on the jeep in the past when we had a popup up camper, so I know how to do it. I am just looking for some info as to where others have mounted their's if they have mounted them. Thanks

I would install the Mopar Performance deep transmission pan first. The extra fluid capacity and extra depth help keep the fluid cooler.

Summit has them, as well as a pan (from a different manufacturer) with built-in cooling tubes.

If you do change the pan, stay with stamped steel. Aluminum pans crack and break too easily while steel pans just dent.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Transmission Coolers

Currently I only have the in tank transmission cooler on my '78 Dodge. I will be towing my cherokee behind me. I am thinking adding an AUX cooler out in front of everything might be a good idea. I have installed one on the jeep in the past when we had a popup up camper, so I know how to do it. I am just looking for some info as to where others have mounted their's if they have mounted them. Thanks

CFarrar77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Leeann,

I am planning to put new tires on my rig this week. Also at the same time im going to have the front end looked at.

cory

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem. My ventes are the same size as what was on my sled trailer, never measured but I assume 14" as I put one on there a few years back and these are the same size as what I put on the sled trailer. It was a pretty easy instal.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
Well I went to the RV show today. I got three of the max air vents to put over my crank up vents. One thing I noticed about the new C's that are the same size as mine they cram alot of stuff in there. While that is nice, they sure seem cramped inside. This makes mine seem even nicer, well just how open it seems to be insde.

So has anyone ever tried to put a modern drivetrain in one of these?

Take pictures of the install if you would... I'd like to get some, but they all claim to be for 14" vents, and ones on my old RV are all 9". So, I'm not sure how to make that work.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
CFarrar77 wrote:
I do think there is a front end problem. There is alot! of play in the steering wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Cory

Welcome!

Check kingpins, steering links, tie rods, idler arms, shocks, sway bar links, steering stabilizer...if all that checks out, there is some adjustment to the steering gear box.

However, these things don't steer like a regular truck or van. They are influenced heavily by passing traffic, by insufficient shocks or missing sway bars on the rear end (many didn't come with them, like mine), etc. Some came with Firestone airbags on the rear to tighten up the sway a bit, as well.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Well I went to the RV show today. I got three of the max air vents to put over my crank up vents. One thing I noticed about the new C's that are the same size as mine they cram alot of stuff in there. While that is nice, they sure seem cramped inside. This makes mine seem even nicer, well just how open it seems to be insde.

So has anyone ever tried to put a modern drivetrain in one of these?

CFarrar77
Explorer
Explorer
I am also new to the RVing community. My wife and I just perchased our firts RV. A 1977 Dodge Flair by Fleetwood. So far so good. It does need some TLC but fortunately for us I am a mechanic in the Marines and my wife is a great seamstress. We reupholstered the seats and hung new curtains. I have changed the belts flushed the tanks. resealed the roof (had minor leaks from above the cab). Installed new propane tank. It sits on the Dodge B300 chassis. I do think there is a front end problem. There is alot! of play in the steering wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks.... Also paid $1000.00 for it and drove it home.... about 30 miles on cali freeway....

Cory

CFarrar77
Explorer
Explorer
I am also new to the RVing community. My wife and I just perchased our firts RV. A 1977 Dodge Flair by Fleetwood. So far so good. It does need some TLC but fortunately for us I am a mechanic in the Marines and my wife is a great seamstress. We reupholstered the seats and hung new curtains. I have changed the belts flushed the tanks. resealed the roof (had minor leaks from above the cab). Installed new propane tank. It sits on the Dodge B300 chassis. I do think there is a front end problem. There is alot! of play in the steering wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks....

Cory

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Nice seats and pictures!
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
Eyeteeth,

>I'm looking for one of the wood holder thingies that goes on top of the dog house.

Camping World has them.

Console Snack Tray
Or you might be able to adapt one of the ones HERE for a Dodge...

I found mine on eBay two years agao and like it. A little "adapting" and it fits fine <--- Click for a larger picture
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeteeth,

>I'm looking for one of the wood holder thingies that goes on top of the dog house.

Camping World has them.

Console Snack Tray

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Julian, That dog house cover came with the unit when I bought it. I think it was built that way over 30 years ago. So far the only thing that I have done inside is change the seats out. The interior is original, never ben touched, just taken care of. Thanks for the comments. I will post more pictures as I do more work.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good. Those will be really nice the next trip you take. Cool that they bolted right up too.

I'm looking for one of the wood holder thingies that goes on top of the dog house. I've yet to find one on craigslist.

Nice work.

JulianTracker
Explorer
Explorer
Overdrive75--Where can I get a Dog house cover like yours? That interior of the cab looks GREAT--wish mine came anywhere close to yours. You do really good work and the pride you have in your rig shows. Kudos