cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, Llama and UKDodge.

Uhm.. how come your C isn't emissions exempt, it's old enough.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
FerociousLlama wrote:
Hi Everyone

Welcome!
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
UKdodge wrote:
Hi Leeanne, thanks for the response.

My post wasn't that clear...The GVWR is 10600lbs which includes all the stuff you mention but does not include a tow. What I was looking for is the Gross Combined Weight Rating specified by Dodge for this vehicle. Once I know that then I can work out the towing capacity using the method you state..

Should be on the same serial plate. If it isn't, I'll look in my books tonight and see if there's anything mentioned.

UKdodge
Explorer
Explorer
On the EFI thing you can easily put together an EFI unit for one of these vehicles if you are OK with electrics. I have EFI on my 440 and ran it for 5 years in the UK. We have emissions tests every year and my RV always passed without a problem. I made it from junk parts from a late 80's/early nineties TBI GM truck. The throttle body fits straight onto the manifold with an adaptor plate I made. You need to make up a new throttle link rod and slightly modify the kickdown lever. The whole thing cost me less than $300 dollars (including a chip burner and software to remap the chips)and a lot of reading..... Doesn't have a CARB sticker though......

UKdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Leeanne, thanks for the response.

My post wasn't that clear...The GVWR is 10600lbs which includes all the stuff you mention but does not include a tow. What I was looking for is the Gross Combined Weight Rating specified by Dodge for this vehicle. Once I know that then I can work out the towing capacity using the method you state..

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
FerociousLlama wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1978 Four Star Class C. It has the 360. Has enough power to drive and there are only a few minor issues I have but nothing serious.

The reason for my post is that a few people mentioned early on in the thread that they had a smog legal edelbrock carb. I was wondering if anyone knows the model number of this carb because edelbrocks site doesn't have much info about smog legality. Smog legality is important because here in California the smog nazis will fail your rig for anything they can think of.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew any emissions legal EFI conversion kits for dodge engines?

Thanks for all the great info!

Welcome!

Edelbrock sells a line of "Quadra-Jet" replacement carbs that supposedly pass emission requirements. And the spread-bore design is well suited for RV use! If it has the connections for your emission equipment, and a CARB sticker, you'll be OK!

EFI? Man, that's a bunch of money to throw at an RV. But Holley makes an aftermarket set-up that MAY work for you. The biggest problem will be finding a manifold to fit a SB Mopar! :B

Going to a factory set-up is possible, too, though problematic. You'll need the system from a donor, everything...
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
It's a rectangular tank, yes? L x W x H works.

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches

I will try and check that tomorrow. Thanks,
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

FerociousLlama
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,
I stumbled upon this thread last week and I have been reading through all the posts since I found it. I have only gotten to page 17 so far but I am excited to see that there are so many other dodge RV owners that love their rig as much as I love mine.

I have a 1978 Four Star Class C. It has the 360. Has enough power to drive and there are only a few minor issues I have but nothing serious.

It's my second RV (first one was a small travel trailer) and I love it.

The reason for my post is that a few people mentioned early on in the thread that they had a smog legal edelbrock carb. I was wondering if anyone knows the model number of this carb because edelbrocks site doesn't have much info about smog legality. Smog legality is important because here in California the smog nazis will fail your rig for anything they can think of.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew any emissions legal EFI conversion kits for dodge engines?

Thanks for all the great info!
When I just get done building something:

Mrs ferociousllama: Wow honey! That looks Really nice.
Me: I know. It almost looks like I had a plan when I started.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
It's a rectangular tank, yes? L x W x H works.

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know how to find out the fuel capacity on these old Dodges? The manual has so many different types of models going from 18 to 24 gallons. I am not sure what model to go by on the listing. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Is there maybe a sicker somewhere showing fuel capacity?

I know I could let the fuel run out then fill up but I do not want to go that route. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks,

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
The max weight includes chassis, house, load and tow amd is 10,600. To know how much it weighs empty and loaded, you need to take it to a place with truck scales.

Until you know how much it weighs empty and loaded, you won't know how much towing capacity it has.

UKdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I'm another noob here. I have an 1979 Dodge MB400 based motorhome - vin starts F40. The max weight is 10600 lbs. Here's the question: does any one have any info on what the maximum train weight is? It's got the 440 engine.

I've had this RV for over 5 years and put 10,000 miles on it. Last year we discovered she had terminal wood rot. I was really bummed as I had done a ton of work to the engine, brakes, suspension and electrics. I was going to part her out but my family wouldn't let me as they had had so much fun in her.

It isn't worth paying anyone else to do the work so I carefully stripped it all the way back down to the chassis and am now about 75% through a complete rebuild, new floor, framing, roof pretty much everything. I kept all the original siding, windows, interior cupboard frames,doors and stuff because I kinda liked the way it looked and wanted to keep the original character. I hope she will be finished this year..

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely go by time - acids will form in your oil when it is left sitting and that's not good...

Sister_Shotgun
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
I need opinions on oil changes for our old Dodges. Should we go by the every 3000 miles then change it or should you go by so many months. It will take me maybe 3 years to put 3000 miles on mine. (The places I go are short trips) Thanks,
I plan on changing the oil in mine twice a year if it needs it or not. There is no way I will put 3000 miles on mine in less than two or three years.

I would rather play it safe and change the oil more often.