cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rod LT!
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Lieutenant_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
just a couple of old Mopars hanging out at the campground

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with "Redneck" Jerry,,,
I mean, we are in Idaho, the whole country already thinks we are rednecks.

Is it just me or is anyone else sitting at work looking out the window at the grey wet sky and dreaming of a warm summer day sitting in the mountains grilling up some dogs outside the old motorhome.......... man I hate winter

Ya'll have a great monday......
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

jayhedden
Explorer
Explorer
okay i have searched for insulation,heat resitant material and sound deadner and have not come up with anything like you guys are explaining on the jc whitney web site,am i spelling it wrong or am i just having a slow sunday morning,help!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
It may be redneck, but it's effective and I'm jealous ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got the neighbor's carport moved to my driveway and modifying it :R to let the RV under it. Here is a pic of it. It looks a little Redneck, but who care's:D. Now I can work with fewer hassles.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with eyeteeth - I'm not sure of the fire rating and I'm not sure how it handles intense heat.

I wouldn't risk it, personally.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I'd chance it. I have no idea how it reacts to heat, and the doghouse gets VERY hot. Plus I doubt the stuff has much of a fire rating so I don't know how safe it would be.

There's not a lot of space between the engine and cover. On mine, there are places where stuff rubs rights against the 1/2" of insulation from the JC Whitney kit.

I wouldn't do/chance it personally.

jayhedden
Explorer
Explorer
would that expanding spray foam work for insulating the dog house? cheap minds want to find a cheap remedy,lol

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:

Oh... and I spent half an hour trying to get the furnace to light before I remembered to turn on the LP. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Sounds like something I would do. ๐Ÿ™‚
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
mbryanr wrote:
any suggestions for insulating the doghouse?;)

In addition to insulating the doghouse, you might want to use a small marine bilge blower to get rid of the hot air that collects under the doghouse. On older, carbureted engines, this helps improve engine efficiency by keeping the carburetor cooler.

Depending on which way you set up the air flow, you can use the bilge blower to draw the hot air out from under the doghouse or direct cold air up under it to displace the hot air. I'd probably use the second method and push cooler air right up under the doghouse.

Most hot-rod shops and auto parts stores have thin, high performance insulation made for insulating automobile firewalls and floor pans.

I've lived most of my life in northern climates so heat from the doghouse was always a plus. However, I plan to use a pair of bilge blowers on my current project to help improve engine efficiency.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
To try and answer a few questions...

For the wheel wells. I made it up as I went there. A lot of Cutting a glueing. I used some 3M Spray adhesive stuff.

For the Doghouse, I used the Insulation from JC Whitney mentioned above along with the adhesive that was recommended. It was a spray... might have been the 3M I mentioned above. I no longer remember. But it helped with temperature, and noise. I use the same insulation as the padding for the carpeting in the cab as well. (My feet had gotten rather warm at one point)

I just realized I have no "after" pictures on my picture sight... only a few "in progress" of this particular upgrade.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
JC Whitney has insulating kits and heat resistant material. I am sure other parts suppliers have similar stuff.

mbryanr, if your wife is a seamstress that is great, here is a pic of the cushions my wife recovered and some of the curtains she made. Really dressed it up to replace all the old covers etc.

mbryanr
Explorer
Explorer
any suggestions for insulating the doghouse?;)