cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Yes send some pixs of the tank job, And pixs of the tank if you can, I'm thinking about replacing my old tank because the bathroom will be relocated from behind the drivers seat to the rear and I will need a new tank, so if you got it off the internet please send the web-site also.

Thanks. Tony.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great Leeann,
I patched mine and it is holding so far, only had to replace the valve unit. I hope the patch holds, don't really want to go the replacement route if I don't have to.
Send us a photo when its done.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
We're replacing our black tank as our turned out to be too thin to repair. The new one is MUCH thicker, plus it angles down from front to back to facilitate draining. Oh, and has more/better designed support ribs. Plus, we ended up being able to support the bathroom floor better than the sawdust that formerly was pressboard - we used hefty metal straps instead.

The bf just has to seal the toilet, faucet & vent pipes to it and it's done. He just got the sealant the other day.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear things are working out Jerry,
We haven't had ours out yet this year. Hoping to fix that next month. I still need to get some new shocks and I need to replace the overhead vent. It doesn't leak but it won't open either so I just need a new one. It wasn't a priority with everything else it needed but now I want to replace it.
Maybe we can meet at a campground sometime this summer or fall. I would love to see your finished product.
Take care,
A.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Al,
Oh, Yeh:R. I'm still working on it. It is coming along though. The cabover is pretty much finished and if I had the insulation, it would be that way all the way back to the rear bath. I need two rolls of 3 1/2" fiberglass insul. and 1/2 sheet of luann and I can button her up. A lot of repairs and some remodel. It's slowed down a little for now. We're trying to save our money for a trip to Fortworth, TX. to see my Mom and daughter in 3 weeks, then over to So. Cal to see my wifes sisters, so priorities you know. I may be able to get her finished by mid June, I hope. I do have some more pics though, just not uploaded yet.
How are you enjoying yours?
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jerry,
We are all just sitting around waiting for someone to say something.... how did your repairs come out? Or are you still working on it. A little wet today to do much I guess.
take care,
A.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Not dead yet ๐Ÿ˜‰

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
426 pages.................Nope its not dead Jerry..........LOL I think there is a bunch of new people, Out and trying to find them an old dodge so they can fit in.........LOL:p

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Where is everyone?:@ Is this place dead?:( Just wondering... Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
The 413 is a very rare dodge motor With the 440 at the least 10 MPG should be there I have seen some that get 11 to 12 MPG, Anyway 6 MPG with the 413 something was wrong with that motor or someone had a big lead foot.:p

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Dodge 1973 Champion. 413 Big Block four barrel. Drove this thing to Texas -- about 2000 miles RT and to Yellowstone about 3,000 RT. I think we got bout 6 MPG on the first trip with gasoline at the time about $1.25 -- and this was tough considering it was about 1980-something. We got about 7 MPG on the Yellowstone trip since I rebuilt the carb before this trip.

This was a rough and very, very ugly camper, but we had lots of fun with it.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Umm....

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Position jack stands at extreme front ends of longitudinals, lower front hoist.

2. Turn wheels in direction needed to give best possible access to upper shock absorber mount.

3. Remove upper nut and retainer.

4. Remove 2 lower mounting bolts and shock absorber.

Installation
1. Extend shock absorber fully, install retainer on shock. Check upper bushing and sleeve to make sure they are in proper position and not worn or broken.

2. Carefully guide shock up through coil spring and sleeve. Install top retainer and nut. Tighten to 25 ft lbs.

3. Align lower end of shock and install mounting bolts. Tighten to 200 in. lbs.

4. Raise hoist, remove jack stands and lower vehicle to ground.

Looks like Installation #2 is the important part - there must be a hole in the lower A arm that allows the shock to come out the bottom.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Ok... question...

Anyone out there have any advice on replacing the shocks? Like... a tutorial? I haven't looked closely at it yet, but the fronts are inside the springs... and without studying it... the concept confuses me. ๐Ÿ™‚

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the place I picked it up is a local shop.

The issue I ran into, is if you search based on engine... (for me '78 440) Or on the A/C compressor... (RV2 or later, York) you get a bearing of 1.18 (30mm) ID, 2.42 (62mm) OD, and either just over, or just under one inch wide. The bearing that was removed... was 5/8ths, or 16mm wide.

As it turns out, this is a fairly common industrial bearing many manufacturers produce and distributors stock. Typically referred to as 6206... also usually in the part number somewhere. ala NTN6206LLU

My thought... is if Rock Auto, NAPA, and everyone else thinks the bearing for that application is supposed to be around an inch wide... I more than likely have found yet one more area my pride and joy is a freak.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Great job, eye!