cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:

SURE! Take the easy way out! :B
Of course I will... Why post them here when I already have them available on a picture site. Extra posting uses up space and leaves less time to work on the beast.

Besides, mine is not pretty either, but every thing in it is functional. :B
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:
Just scroll back through the previous 265 pages. There's plenty of pics hidden in here.

Some of us put them in links in our signatures too :W

1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor.

USAF Retired

SURE! Take the easy way out! :B
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
Just scroll back through the previous 265 pages. There's plenty of pics hidden in here.

Some of us put them in links in our signatures too :W

1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor.

USAF Retired

USAF Retired

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
More toys for the class C... Got the Firestone air springs I ordered from JC Whitney 10 days ago today... Read the instructions, checked the underside of the house to make sure that the instructions matched the underside (they do). You would hope that they did. :?

Guess what I'm doing this weekend? :S

When I get done, it should sit a little better on the right than it does now... Fleetwoods' idea for correct balance was to put all the ''heavy stuff'' like the genset, water tank, 6 cf fridge, and heater on the right side and ''balance'' that with the water pump and 6 gallon water heater on the left :h

Ken

USAF Retired

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer
How about some pictures of these proud rigs?

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
That's okay... I just wanted to see how much trouble it was going to be. Nothing like pictures.

Ken

USAF Retired

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I was without my helper again this this weekend. But I can't complain... the guys price is right. (Beer and food ๐Ÿ™‚ ) I was able to get a lot done anyway.

I put the black tank on.
- Kendas... I'm sorry I completley zoned. Being byself, and after an extra week. I completly forgot to take any pictures. But it went exactly as I had planned and typed out in an earlier message. VERY easy. I mean.... I did it entirely by myself (and withan audience).
I drilled the holes for the Grey tank through the floor.
Got the bathroom walls back in place.
Panelled the bathroom walls.
Installed the lower bunk
Installed the toilet with riser. (I had to have a throne)

Its getting close enough I'm trying to decide where we're going first. It should be functional although probably not 100% complete in time for labor day. FINALLY.

FrugalFreak
Explorer
Explorer
I recently found this too for anybody that might need a parts source. It's pickup only in TX. I need it, but too far from me. maybe somebody could use it.

Extra parts Dodge Class c Dodge.

15' ??Unknown?? Travel Trailer

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
If anybody is interested. Not mine, but sounds like a deal.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=287

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
Ugh. 105ยบ really stinks...

Yikes! Glad you got it all fixed - and I'm really glad it didn't cause a bigger problem (ie fire) :E
Thanks Leeann! Just a "bit" warm on the rear north side of the RV where the genset is (at least that's where it's at when parked in the driveway at home).

Not too worried about fire... I've got 10BC in the cab, 10BC mounted on the wall above the stove, and a 20ABC fire bottle in the back for when we're out in the brush.

The stick house is less than 200 feet from the fire house across the street (yep, a little noisy sometimes, but they are close). :B

Ken

USAF Retired

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
Found problem. Couldn't wait for the weekend. Had to go out in 105 heat and T/S the genset this afternoon... :E

The "hot" lead had burned the wire nut and charred wires in the "customer" wiring section in the control box causing the failure in the output. My fault for not checking and replacing ALL the wire nuts on the genset when I got the RV. :S

Works fine now and, I got the PM for the month done.

Ugh. 105ยบ really stinks...

Yikes! Glad you got it all fixed - and I'm really glad it didn't cause a bigger problem (ie fire) :E
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
Looks like I do troubleshooting on it this weekend. :M
Found problem. Couldn't wait for the weekend. Had to go out in 105 heat and T/S the genset this afternoon... :E

The "hot" lead had burned the wire nut and charred wires in the "customer" wiring section in the control box causing the failure in the output. My fault for not checking and replacing ALL the wire nuts on the genset when I got the RV. :S

Works fine now and, I got the PM for the month done.

USAF Retired

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Well here's an update on my light switch. While I had the dash out, I decided to clean all the contacts for the light bulbs and relays that were visible. I found 2 burned out bulbs AND the lugs on the amp meter were loose. I replaced all the bulbs after cleaning and tightened the lugs. This thing is a wiring nightmare as the P.O. had done a lot of rewiring for an alarm system (that he removed later and his skills left a lot to be desired) and who knows what else. I fix things as I find them. I also found a burned out fuse that I think also went to the light circuit, but everything seems to be working now...Thanks for the help, keep on camping....Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:

The replacement black tank is in, so I also dropped that off with all the misc plumbing items I'll need.

Pictures of the tank change process please?

It might just be easier to answer any questions you might have. In my case, I think I have it a little easier in that I have an open space. The walls are still out.

What I plan on doing... is drilling a pilot hole from underneath where the openings are currently in the belly pan. Then using a hole saw from above to minimize damage to the linoleum I'll drill out the floor openings. I'll then pre-drill holes in the flanges of my tanks, and mount them in place to the frame. Next, using a hole saw, I'll drill down from above through the tank plastic for the pipe and pooper (lol) fittings. Glue on the tank connectors, and put a few sections I know go together for the vent. At this point I can put the bathroom wall back in place and finish the vent piping as needed. The toilet will go the same way. Once the cement dries on the flange, the toilet flange gets a bit of pipe dope, and screws in until it is resting on the floor. (lastly... mount toilet and enjoy!!! :E

They make an inch and a half rubber grommet type of pipe connector for the tank that's nice for working with existing pipe as it is a little more forgiving. If everything is already in place... drop the old tank, measure where the fittings are so you can duplicate their placement on the new tank. The rubber fittings work well in this situation as they help relieve stress if your measurements are a little off. I figured it is quicker and easier for me to use the first method above, as the majority of my pipping was removed for the restoration work.

I'll do my best to snap some pics, but I find I get working, and take a few, then suddenly I'm done, and I start thinking "I should have photographed that BEFORE I attached that last piece..." etc.

I've found the more I tear into this thing, the easier its become. I had gotten to a point were I was almost scared to death to go any further 'cause I KNEW there was no-way to change my mind after that.

But, a little common sense and it's all turning out for the better.