cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
It's supposedly three... one out of the trans to a speed sensor? from there to some little electrical thing just behind the firewall... then from there to the speedo.

Or so my mechanic dude tells me.

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Okay... No part numbers, just the troubleshooting guide but I haven't been able to get anyone to even admit that the company (Perfect Circle) ever put one in an Tioga RV since Perfect Circle no longer exists (was bought out) it's real hard to find part numbers outside of the stock "non-cruise" models
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
With the "factory" aftermarket cruise you're looking at 2 cables: trans to speed sensor/controller and sensor/controller to speedometer head. Each cable is a different part number. I'll check and see what I have but the company that made the cruise is out of business. I'll post a link to the cruise manual for my 78 as soon as I find the link.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have diagram, parts numbers for the speedo cable 'stuff' for 440 with cruise control? I may have found a source... but... I need an actual part number.

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
Wreckers usually have core compressors in a bin or a barrel. They ought to be cheap, though I think it's the clutch that usually fails...

Good luck, and remember that life is about the ups and downs: it's all about your attitude. I'm climbing out of an unemployment hole myself and some days it was tough to see anything beyond the 'creek' I was in.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Brought the Rv back to the house Wednesday. The kids made us sleep in it right off the bat.

Looking for advice/info. Ran into a problem. I was lucky to get it home. The clutch in the A/C Compressor pully took a dump, and locked up. I was luck, as when I stopped to see what was going on, whatever jammed it, came loose. When I restarted it, it was noisy, but spinning... and it stayed loose until we got home.

But... I need to fix, repair, or replace 'something' before I try taking it anywhere again. Rock Auto claims to have a replacement bearing... then there's a few places with new clutches for $180... rather not spend that much at this time. I'm still unemployed... Never used the dash air... I was also wondering if there wasn't a bypass/replacement that could be installed temporarily.

Anyone know of any used units cheap?

I'm sitting here at the creek hoping I can find a paddle. ๐Ÿ™‚

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
Hehe...it's great you got a kick out of it. I wasn't going to post the link because I figured everyone had seen it.

There certainly were days I thought about taking mine up a logging road to play that game!!!

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Deadeye,
Thanks for that link, I had never seen that before..... how many cautions would those wimps at NASCAR have thrown on that race.... one of the funniest things I have ever seen!
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I remember that episode...

yea... not exactly what I meant. ๐Ÿ™‚

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
^ I absolutely LOVE that episode of Top Gear.... ๐Ÿ˜„
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeteeth, I can't help you with your prob, but I read this in your post

I went to pick up the RV so I could do some more remodeling this spring before racing season starts

I know it's not what you meant, but I couldn't help but think of that Top Gear episode...

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's a hoot. The ultimate in "Run what you brung"
Click here

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeteeth,

A couple of weeks ago mine wouldn't start. I found that the rotor had carbon on it (even though the distributor cap was completely clean). After cleaning the rotor it started right up. The rotor is almost new.

Mine has been sitting for over a year and only run at idle every couple of weeks. Perhaps that causes the carbon build up on the rotor.

Mine is a 78 440.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a little bit of flooding, but mostly due to a weak spark. It's new coil... we tried a second one... and a different set of wires. I think the rotor in the distributor needs to be cleaned.

We'll see.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
jayhedden wrote:
has anybody here tried to replace broken off exhaust manifold bolts? i have a 74 tioga with the 360,passenger side front and read studs were broken off when i got her,so i took the manifold off and tried to easy out ,got drilled had been using penetrating lubricant on her a few times a day and i cant buge her,even tried heat from my torch and she wont move,now i have drilled in to far and came thru the end of the bolt and into the water jacket,no problem but where i am stuck at is can i just drill the hole and tap it to the next size?

Try PB Blaster. Soak the threads and bump the bolt several times a day for several days. (I've found PB Blaster works if you give it a few days and tap on the bolt to help it work into the threads.)

It's best to stay with the same size bolts, if at all possible.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

jayhedden
Explorer
Explorer
has anybody here tried to replace broken off exhaust manifold bolts? i have a 74 tioga with the 360,passenger side front and read studs were broken off when i got her,so i took the manifold off and tried to easy out ,got drilled had been using penetrating lubricant on her a few times a day and i cant buge her,even tried heat from my torch and she wont move,now i have drilled in to far and came thru the end of the bolt and into the water jacket,no problem but where i am stuck at is can i just drill the hole and tap it to the next size?