cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Often Do You Trade?

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks! I trust you are staying warm and getting ready to move for the summer.

My sweetie and I have a 2011 Cameo 5th wheel that we enjoy. It is 37ft long and is paid for. We are trying to map out our next few rigs in some thoughtful manner so we can begin making other decisions. We are both 53, still work full time, though most of it is remote (not tied to an office). I do however need to be close to a major airport. We do not currently plan to sell our stick and brick home.

We like the 5th wheel configuration, but it seems to take a little more work than we may want to handle in our 60's or later. We aren't ready to trade into a big DP today, but that is definitely in our future - we just aren't sure where.

It seems to make sense to plan the travel style first, then match the rig to the style. For example, if we plan to move around a good bit in our 60's, maybe the next rig is the DP, then swap back to a 5th wheel (if at all) in our later years. Or should that solution be reversed?

We don't have a bazillion dollars, but we do have the luxury of being able to plan the next few decades in several different ways.

What have you guys done and how has it worked for you? Would love to hear from as many of you as have time.

Thanks so much. God bless! and Safe Travels.
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
21 REPLIES 21

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our DP and went to a TT. We loved the MH, if money was no object we would have a bigger, newer, nicer one. For us the upkeep was just to much. We still work full time and did not get to use it enough to justify owning it.

Over the years we have owned every type of RV there is from a truck camper on up. If you move around a lot the MH is the only way to go. If you like to stay for a while at each stop then the 5er is the way to go.

In 3 to 5 years we will be retiring and a new pickup and 5er will probably be our last purchase. We want a one ton diesel SRW short bed truck and the biggest trailer we can pull without going over the capacity of the truck. It will have auto leveling.

I do not want to drive a dual wheel truck every where I go. Yes I have owned those as well, don't want another.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. With the newest technology available today I see jo logical reason to move away from fivers. Auto leveling makes it a one button job. Hookups are goingmto be exactly the same no matter what type RV you choose. The only difference is hitching up a toad, or backing under the fifth wheel with your truck. Bottom line as I see it is cost. A new truck 60K, a new fiver 90K. New DP in the approx same size 250 to 500K. Depreciation DP loses hands down.

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 65 and my 5er is a piece of cake. I do wear out my finger on the remote control hitching, unhitching, and auto-level. I don't think I'll ever go to a DP, or any class A. A lot of people do move to a class A and go back to a 5er.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping all our lives with various trailer and MH configurations. With retirement in site (2-3 years) we just recently traded for our first DP, which we plan to full time in. I wanted a few years to become acclimated to this before we hit the road. In the few times we have been out camping, we love our new DP!!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Don't give away that Cameo! There is a huge following for those!

We sold our 5er last year and went to a DP. The 5er was super easy to set up with self leveling, and it had all the creature comforts like W/D, dishwasher, heat pumps, dual awnings, etc. In the end I had a dually 1 ton truck that I had absolutely no use for other than towing, and I really hated driving it. We went to a DP and it fits us like a glove now. Easy to maneuver, tow a small Jeep to drive around, etc. In reality, it is so self contained and automatic there have been overnight stops that we never opened the door ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a motorhome now and I'm 64, but have been Rv'ing with travel trailers and motorhomes most of my life. One of the benefits of experience and getting older is learning what you don't want. No more manual leveling for me. An on board genny is a must. No bigger than 32 feet. It's easier for me to narrow down cause we will never be full timer's, we will always have a lot of responsibilities at home that will always be there. One thing is a constant. RV'er's are the greatest people in the world. There's a magic there. Good luck with your choice.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Tom,

Well, you know the procedure already with the 5th wheel and your ability to manage it. A few years ago I watched an older couple trying to level their 5th wheel on boards. It took forever.

They didn't need to be doing that. During the process, the 5th wheel fell on the bed of the truck. I felt sorry for them. I would think they were into the mid to late 70's.

So, what I'm saying is, a class C or A is easier and faster to set up at the campsite. Just hit a button and you are level and you can use the camper at rest stops without leaving the vehicle.

Keep what you have since you are young then move into a class C or A when you are older.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins