cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old is too old?

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to buy a used motorhome (our first.) I'm leaning toward an older higher-end MH, such as Newmar, in order to get the features we would like within our budget.

I would like the MH we buy to last for 10 years and be reliable if we give it good care. I don't mind doing the simple maintenance items and repairs, but I'm not looking for MH renovation to become a hobby. I will probably hire all significant work done.

Right now, I have a reasonably good comfort level with buying a 10 or 12 year old Newmar or equivalent MH that has been cared for and is in good condition. I feel that it should last another 10 years without maintenance issues becoming enough of a problem to cause me to sell it. Is this a reasonable expectation? How old is too old before it figures to become too much of a pain in the backside?

Thanks.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540
50 REPLIES 50

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
havasu wrote:
From my experience, when you buy an older MH you have an initial period and expense of 'fixing her up'. That could be 30%-50% of the purchase cost.

. . .

Just to put some numbers to this . . .

I was hoping to spend in the neighborhood of $50 – $60,000, up to maybe $80,000, for the initial purchase. With due diligence on my part before buying, I was hopeful that another $10,000 would easily take care of bringing it up to snuff.

Are you suggesting that I may need to put more like $15,000 to $24,000, or even as much as $40,000 into it for fix-up? Or were you thinking 30% to 50% of a much lower purchase price?

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

CCIntrigue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 10 year old Country Coach that's like new.
Country Coach Intrigue
Miata and golf cart trailered on Featherlite
1 handsome husband
Kassie, our Miniature Schnauzer copilot

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
havasu wrote:
From my experience, when you buy an older MH you have an initial period and expense of 'fixing her up'. That could be 30%-50% of the purchase cost.

Assuming that you did everything right from the start, your 10 year expectancy is spot on.

Thinking that you can buy an older MH and just jump in and drive and not suffer a catastrophe or 2 is unrealistic 🙂

People generally sell MHs that have some issues, either declared or hidden.

X2
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

havasu
Explorer
Explorer

Assuming that you did everything right from the start, your 10 year expectancy is spot on.

Thinking that you can buy an older MH and just jump in and drive and not suffer a catastrophe or 2 is unrealistic 🙂

People generally sell MHs that have some issues, either declared or hidden.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan to have most of the significant work done by others you'd better be prepared to empty some pretty deep pockets. These big toys can get expensive.

Obviously, buying an older rig saves you depreciation compared to buying new or near new. Newmar would be an excellent choice. If you focus on rigs over 10 years old, then Holiday Rambler and Monaco should be safe bets. Newer models of those rigs may or may not be as well built. Good luck.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Empty Nest, Soon wrote:
We're looking to buy a used motorhome (our first.) I'm leaning toward an older higher-end MH, such as Newmar, in order to get the features we would like within our budget.

I would like the MH we buy to last for 10 years and be reliable if we give it good care. I don't mind doing the simple maintenance items and repairs, but I'm not looking for MH renovation to become a hobby. I will probably hire all significant work done.

Right now, I have a reasonably good comfort level with buying a 10 or 12 year old Newmar or equivalent MH that has been cared for and is in good condition. I feel that it should last another 10 years without maintenance issues becoming enough of a problem to cause me to sell it. Is this a reasonable expectation? How old is too old before it figures to become too much of a pain in the backside?

Thanks.

Wayne

I have a 13 yr old Country Coach and there aint a thing wrong with it...!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape