cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old is too old?

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to buy a used motorhome (our first.) I'm leaning toward an older higher-end MH, such as Newmar, in order to get the features we would like within our budget.

I would like the MH we buy to last for 10 years and be reliable if we give it good care. I don't mind doing the simple maintenance items and repairs, but I'm not looking for MH renovation to become a hobby. I will probably hire all significant work done.

Right now, I have a reasonably good comfort level with buying a 10 or 12 year old Newmar or equivalent MH that has been cared for and is in good condition. I feel that it should last another 10 years without maintenance issues becoming enough of a problem to cause me to sell it. Is this a reasonable expectation? How old is too old before it figures to become too much of a pain in the backside?

Thanks.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540
50 REPLIES 50

vscoggin
Explorer
Explorer
Numerous ways to look at it--I bought a 1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer ES last August--great shape ,especially inside--paid 7000 for it--started going throgh the maintainence, systems, engine, fluids, everything I could think of--updated what I wanted, re-carpeted,the only thing I really had to do was replace the alternator. Got about 10,000 in it and its paid for everything works like new. Had a friend who bought a new one --still waiting for it to be fixed from the dealer and get to go camping.It is under warranty-so thats a goog thing--point is--new or old --they are going to break down/cost money--my friend has a warranty and brand new MH--owes about 80,000---beautiful--mines a 1996--paid for--so I dont mind spending some money on it--6 of one--half dozen of the other--just some thoughts--Vince

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if you go old, go tiffin. Those seem to hold up pretty well through the years. The exeriors are kind of rough sometimes, but the interiors & funciton can run a while. But how old is too old? All depends on how handy you are and/or how deep your pockets are.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
One hint I can share with you: don't be afraid of high mileage vehicles. It's been my experience that people who actually use their coaches tend to keep things in good repair. If something is just sitting, things can go wrong with no one noticing. 😉
Bought my 1997 Prevost with ~220,000 miles on it. Tires were only three years old and everything worked. I replaced the battery bank with AGMs because I wanted them. Otherwise there was NO initial expenditure except for initial cost. And $800 for a full tank of fuel. 😉
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I see no reason to be too apprehensive about a 10 or 12 year old MH. REGARDLESS of brand.
My Fleetwood Expedition is 12 years old right now and we fulltime and its only sign of showing age is the fact that it isn't a fullbody paint job. It still looks new inside and out.
Of course we maintain it. I don't think its and exception. Just look around and carefully see how they were maintained. You'll find a diamond in the SMOOTH.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is 19 years old and we have about 157,000 miles. I believe the key issue is to look at how it has been maintained and how old the systems are. We replaced the center roof AC after 14 years, the other two and the chassis AC after 16 years. Needed new muffler four years ago. As things need replacing, we just do it. Right now it is in the shop with a Cat electronic issue, but as soon as we get it back, we're heading out west to put another 5-6,000 miles on it. You're going to have issues with any coach--even a new one, but with a good emergency service plan you can go out and enjoy this great country. Get the best quality coach you can find, and thoroughly check out all systems before you buy--turn everythng on, and make sure it works. If you don't know how, have the seller show you. Good luck!
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little more optimistic than most. If you buy a Diesel pusher in the 70k to 80k price range ( ie: 02 Holiday Rambler Imperial) with low mileage, you will be able to get an extended warranty if you wish to cover large out of pocket expenses. Most people might poo poo an extended warranty, but it would cover your first year or two to make sure that there were not an impending crisis.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't suppose your 2003 Mountain Aire is for sale? 😉 😄

What I had in mind was something like a Mountain Aire or Dutch Star about 10 years old, maybe 50 – 70,000 miles with Diesel or no more than 40,000 miles, preferably less, with gas engine. Those have the features we want and are within budget, assuming initial fix-up costs don’t amount to another $20 -- $40,000 surprise.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My Mountain Aire still looks like new and has had only minor problems. It is always stored indoors when not in use and that really helps. I checked my tires yesterday because we are planning a 4000 Mile trip in July. Even the 5 year old tires do not have any cracking on the sidewalls. They only have 20K on the tread. Tomorrow the anti-freeze gets changed. It already has synthetic trans. fluid, and the brakes will be flushed also tomorrow. Imhope to keepit another 10 years, assuming we are healthy enough to keep going.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchase used 1996 Pace Arrow and new 2008 Sea Breeze and you still have issues. The last one we bought is pre-owned 2006 Sportcoach Encore on a Freightliner, with Cat motor and Allison Transmission. It has good bones. The automotive is rock solid, But you have to do your maintenance. I'm retired so I have the time and enjoy doing the maintenance.

The only thing we have had that was big issue was a $1.50 rivet broke on the slide rail. $1800.00 bucks later, oh well it happens. Plus you have to figure in updates....We have updated the TV's. The next big deal will be tires. They will be changed this season. We love taking trips in our motorhome so we keep it in tiptop shape.

The big thing is to have fun.

Happy Camping
Bye Dennis
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
Good Sam Life Time Members
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I know of several owners of 15+ year old Foretravels who are very happy with their older Foretravels. Mine will be 20 years old this coming fall. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. In fact we have a trip to Arizona planned for this coming winter. 5255 miles round trip.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many variables. If you find a quality unit that has been used by someone that cares, with full service warranty, its one thing. To buy one without records, you are buying into a******shoot.

About every five years, you replace all fluids. That is 10-25 gallons of anti freeze, Transmission fluid, power steering fluid, differential fluid, new air dryer dessicant, two fuel, one oil, one trans and air filter. Replace all belts and hoses. I won't put a dollar amount on it but it is thousands.

Six tires are running $3500-$4000.

Don't forget about the genset.

I have looked at quite a few Foretravels and they seem to fit the profile of having prideful owners who have had other brands, finally bought a good one, and really took care of them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well cared for Foretravel. Although they have had a few issues here and there; bulkhead separation, etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Country Coach has 110,000 miles on it and is still going strong.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
I have always believed it is best to get one from a private owner within 5 years as they are still eligible for extended warrantees.
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

rexabbot
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Overland when it was 13 yrs old. It is now 17 yrs old.

I do a lot of the work my self with the exception of major things like dash a/c rebuild, Allison transmission computer problems, manifold gasket replacement and rear end differential replacement. I have $10-12 k in these items. I have fixed countless other items - I pretty much am working on it constantly. Some of the items like slide repair and Big Foot leveler repair would have been quite costly in labor. If it goes to the shop I expect it to be a min. of $1500.

My rig cost $36k, so the 50% estimate above is probably quite accurate.
But I could 't buy a rig of that quality for $55k, so I have no regrets and I enjoy doing the work.
If you don't do your own work it will cost double that not counting all the time taking it to the shop and waiting for a week before they work on it.

And remember you don't know something is broke most times until you are taking it on a trip. Shops can ruin a lot of vacations with the time to have them fix it.

My 2 cents worth.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
CCIntrigue wrote:
We have a 10 year old Country Coach that's like new.

I have a 2002 S2000 with 43,000 miles that is also like new. Something like my sports car or your coach is what I hope to find.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540