cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to paint an RV ceiling?

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I need some advice on a painting project before I commit myself and screw something up lol. I have a 1987 Fleetwood Bounder in great condition, but I would like to make some upgrades so it looks a little more modern and "homey", since I am a full-time RVer. The ceiling is a major eyesore for me. Nothing wrong with it and it's clean, but it looks very ugly. I want to texture (drop down) and paint the entire ceiling with some indoor latex, moisture-resistant house paint. I do a lot of painting projects for a living, just not on this kind of a surface. I will be hanging plastic from all edges of ceiling to the floors that will be covered with drop cloths, removing light fixtures/AC covers, etc. The questions I have pertain to painting the surface itself. I can't tell if it's a vinyl material or just wallpaper and if I need to peel it all off or if I can just texture/paint right over it without the paint peeling off. I would also like your thoughts on removing those ugly seam strips and applying mud and tape instead, before I paint it. I'm picturing something that looks very clean and modern, but I want to do it right. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Colorbond makes some kind of special paint that adheres to fabric including vinyl and leather. Check out their web site.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't really consider the flexibility of the rig while in motion. I don't drive it much, it sits stationary for 3-6 months at a time pretty much, in between locations. You really think the ceiling would twist and bend enough to break mud/texture/paint loose in that little bit of driving? I'll have to give that some consideration. Thanks for the input! Any other thoughts or opinions are welcome.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I thing you would be asking for trouble mudding the seams, all RVs flex quite a bit then moving, and it would be raining on you until it all fell off. Good luck with the project and let us know how it works out.
Wildmanbaker

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What ceiling material do you have currently? My motorhome has a sort of low-pile carpeting, but I'm guessing you have something else as I can't imagine trying to paint what I have.

I rather doubt ordinary household mud and paint would hold up well to RV usage; there's too much shifting and bending and flexing.

I agree with DutchmenSport's suggestions assuming you have some sort of wallpaper-like material It would probably not hurt to scuff the surface well, perhaps even sand it lightly, and definitely use some tenacious paint that sticks to everything. Do make sure whatever sort of texturing agent you use can take some movement without crumbling off.

Another option might be finding some sort of fabric or other material that has the sort of look you want and attaching it with e.g. contact cement. Naturally, lighter weight materials are preferable to heavy ones.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If it's wall paper and not pealing anywhere, I'd just paint over the top of it. If it's pealing, then I'd attempt to remove the wall paper. If it's something else, it won't matter if you "though" it was wall paper. I'd look for a paint that adheres to plastics. More than likely, the ceiling is made of vinyl, similar to bathroom surrounds, just textured different.