cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to test drive a Class A ??

bcforce
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Montana 5th wheel, and the wife and I are considering going to a Class A. We know what it is like to live in the RV, but have never even ridden in a Class A. What is the best way to get a test drive? Do dealers do that??
24 REPLIES 24

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
I was petrified on the first test drive but the salesman actually did a good job of calming me down and offering helpful driving tips. We went out on the highway for a few miles then back on wide residential streets. I was so pleased to have gotten it back in one piece I bought it! Still in my barn 30,000 miles later!

When you go out, check out the blind spots. Some MHs have the side mounted cameras that help. Check out accelleration and how the transmission shifts as your build up speed - smooth or jerky? Braking, do you feel pulling right or left? Transmission or Exhaust braking - this is a big one if you spend time in the mountains. How she handles in crosswind is a big one also but very hard to test especially when not loaded down. In fact, if you're going to be driving more than one, consider bringing a check-list with you of things to check - not just for the test drive, bur of all the things you'd want in a rig!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
bcforce wrote:
I currently have a Montana 5th wheel, and the wife and I are considering going to a Class A. We know what it is like to live in the RV, but have never even ridden in a Class A. What is the best way to get a test drive? Do dealers do that??

Act like a serious, informed, potential buyer
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
We were lucky enough to be in the Elkhart IN area and toured some factories that made Super C's. Most ask about a test drive once we finished the tour. I let them drive me at first just to see how comfortable they were driving such a beast. I was too overwhelmed had I driven to get much out of a test. Of course, there was barely a break in their conversation as they whizzed down 2 lane roads with one hand on the steering wheel (some did), made turns, maneuvered around obstacles. Later, we went to some large parking lots, I took the wheel and now it's sitting in my driveway.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Head up towards Fresno on 99.

There are three dealers on Central Ave, Paul Evert's, Camping World and Andy's Fresno RV.

I'm sure one of them will let you test drive a class A
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers will let you test drive motorhomes. The dealer may require the salesman to go on the ride with you.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The dealership is much more likely to let you test drive a class C or class A motorhome than to test tow a fifth wheel.

Well that's good since the OP was asking about a Class A not a Fifth Wheel...

I think the intent was to encourage the OP to ask for test drives in the desired Class A, and not to be deterred by any resistance encountered in the past regarding a test-tow of their current Fifth wheel.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember that when you test drive an EMPTY Class A, it may rattle more, accelerate and stop differently, and handle winds different than when it is loaded for travel. The seating position, visibility, and control location will be the same but that is about all that you can really tell from a test drive of an unloaded coach. You may get blown all over the highway in an empty coach and it may be rock solid when properly loaded. Also if you plan on towing, you will not be able to tell the performance impact of a vehicle in tow.
I think a test drive is important but keep in mind the limitations of what it will tell you.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The dealership is much more likely to let you test drive a class C or class A motorhome than to test tow a fifth wheel.

Well that's good since the OP was asking about a Class A not a Fifth Wheel...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

Yes they do test drives all the time. Take it on the freeway, and see how much get up and go it has. . .

But before making a decision, look at many of them. Collect brochures, decide on a workable floorplan! Research the cargo rating, cargo capacity, and what the GVWR is. If you plan on towing something like a cargo trailer, make sure that it can handle both the hitch weight and vehicle weight. Or if you plan to tow a car, then it just need to have a hitch rating over your vehicle's weight. Yet if the motorhome is only rated at 3,500 pounds (many are from the 90's) you can not just change the hitch. It is the frame attachment that limits the weight on the frame and hitch.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we were looking, any dealer we talked to would let us test drive it. Only a few even asked if we'd ever driven one before.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG