cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HWH slide and jacks problem

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
HWH leveling jacks and 4 slide hydraulic mechanism. On a trip and for last 4 months the system has been working flawlessly. A couple days ago one slide wouldn't come in. Pump was running but sounded like no pressure, the same sound when relief valve is open on a control valve. I extended the jacks, did a retract and the slide came in. That situation repeated itself earlier today when we changed parking sites and when I went to level, the jacks wouldn't extend. Same pump running but no pressure sound. I had started extending one slide, the problematic one earlier, and when the sound was wrong and it was slow stopped and tried to retract. It slid in an inch but is now out about 1 inch. Left front slide. Checked fluid, a bit low, added a quart, no change. Opened relief valve on control valves, cycled extend/retract switches, closed valves, no change. Checked all wiring, all OK. I tried the manual retract on the one slide and the 2 13/16ths nuts spin freely and don't provide any resistance to crank the slide in. I crawled under and nothing to see where that rod connects on the inboard side. I also removed a poppet valve from the top of the manifold that houses the 4 jack control valves, actuated the jacks and had fluid coming out the port.

EDIT; Currently just outside Louisville KY and will be heading down I-65 to south east AL.

At this point we are going to head home and I'll work on it there or take it to be fixed. We've been on the road for 3 1/2 months and were planning to head back next week anyway. If anyone has any additional thoughts, I'm all ears. My tools are limited unfortunately. Looks like a 2 day, 550 mile drive back with no slide or leveling. Thanks in advance.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
drwwicks wrote:
I called HWH this morning and tech support called me back pretty quick. I had one slide out a bit and couldn't get it in following the published procedures. After I told him what I had done, the indications and symptoms it had, he said that pointed to the shuttle valve. When I get home I'll pull it out and see if I can spot anything obvious. Otherwise, I purchased an extended service plan so a shop in town will get some work.

DO NOT pull the shuttle valve. You cannot tell if it is defective. Just order one and replace it. Doug

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
I called HWH this morning and tech support called me back pretty quick. I had one slide out a bit and couldn't get it in following the published procedures. After I told him what I had done, the indications and symptoms it had, he said that pointed to the shuttle valve. When I get home I'll pull it out and see if I can spot anything obvious. Otherwise, I purchased an extended service plan so a shop in town will get some work.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
Call HWH. They will help you.
This is what I did and HWH got right back to me. And if you can't get ahold of HWH then send a PM to Doug Rainer for advice he has a lot of knowledge with HWH systems.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OPEN all 4 of the 4 Jack manual release solenoids when the system(slides or jacks) fails to operate. Then activate the pump. IF NONE of the jacks start to come down, odds are the motor is not operating to spec and you have NO pressure. The system operates at 2500 to 3200 psi. The Jacks and slides operate off different controls on the HWH pump. So, if BOTH fail to operate, then either the pump is not at PSI or a possibly bad Shuttle valve. Doug

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Call HWH. They will help you.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
Got the PM, thanks.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Can't name places here on the forum, but I sent you a Private Message with the info. Pity that you passe HWH, when we were there with a leaky jack, they were really nice to us. Their phone support was really good also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
Funny thing we passed the HWH plant in Iowa a few days ago. I thought no need to stop, all is well. Right now just north of Louisville KY and going through Huntsville on the way home. In fact that might be tomorrow's stop. Who is that shop, I'll try and call and see what they say.

David
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you now?? if anywhere near Iowa, go to the factory at Moscow. Especially is it is closer than home. There is a shop in Huntsville that work on HWH systems. It it helps you can PM me for info.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.