cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hydraulic levelers

billcatwat1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Winnebago Vista with hydraulic levelers. The hydraulic motor has failed and needs to be replaced at at cost of $1250. Is replacing the motor a "every two year" thing or can we expect the next one to last much longer. What would be the alternative other than leveling blocks.
12 REPLIES 12

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jerseyjim wrote:
DOUGRAINER: The motor come off? Strange I didn't see that. OH, well....a day in the garage sure beats a day saying "yes dear".
Seriously, I hope I don't have to do that job again. But if I do....I will certainly check where the motor comes off the reserviour.

PG motors come off the top. They may "stick" at first due to rust. Doug

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
NEWB post, one and done. He's gone.
2013 ACE 29.2

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DOUGRAINER: The motor come off? Strange I didn't see that. OH, well....a day in the garage sure beats a day saying "yes dear".
Seriously, I hope I don't have to do that job again. But if I do....I will certainly check where the motor comes off the reserviour.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jerseyjim wrote:
My POWERGEAR motor "lost" the bearing that sits right on top of the pump/motor assembly. Made a horrible sound while deploying. No noise when retracting.
$20 bearing available at any auto store.
Took maybe 8 hours to empty reservoir (2 gallons ATF), disconnect and remove entire assembly, pull the bearing, clean everything as well as possible (LOTS of rust) put in new bearing and slather everything with grease, reinstall and fill with new DextronIII. (one day, anyway)

Sure bears 1200 bucks......

The PG motor comes off without doing all that. It takes about 1 to 2 hours total to replace the 12 volt DC PG motor. Doug

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My POWERGEAR motor "lost" the bearing that sits right on top of the pump/motor assembly. Made a horrible sound while deploying. No noise when retracting.
$20 bearing available at any auto store.
Took maybe 8 hours to empty reservoir (2 gallons ATF), disconnect and remove entire assembly, pull the bearing, clean everything as well as possible (LOTS of rust) put in new bearing and slather everything with grease, reinstall and fill with new DextronIII. (one day, anyway)

Sure bears 1200 bucks......

MrWizard
mine is almost 20yrs old
any thing can go bad.. But no its NOT an every two year thing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
How did you determine that the motor was bad?

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my PG motor for $325. Found it online. Get the model and Google it. I'm sure you will find cheaper than the quote.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
$1250!? Get a second opinion you should be able to find one for much less. Also no the assembly shouldn't die after two years.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Motors will last for years. What system do you have. If it is the electric motor and is removable, then a local Starter/Alternator shop can rebuild them for less than $100. Doug

Moved from Forum Technical Support

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 15 year old and the HWH motor runs fine. What Brand? Have you called the manufacturer of the levelers to see if they can do something?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT