cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m being told all gas class A are on the same chassis ??

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Then why are people here telling me the Vista 18 ft don’t handle wel ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
16 REPLIES 16

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm getting angry. So, there's two classes of RV owners,....those who intuitively know that a RV with a 500-inch wheelbase is more directional stable than a RV with a 5-inch wheelbase,....and....
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:

Can't comment on that particular coach, but there's a lot of difference between one that has a short wheelbase and a long overhang behind the real wheels, than with a 39ft like we had, with a longer wheelbase and a tag axle.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
My coach is 31' built on an 18K lbs chassis with a 190" wheel base and it handles very well. A light grip of the steering wheel is all that is needed. Handling, control and ride comfort is going to be a very subjective determination. What is perfectly fine for me might be a down check and walk away from a rig for you. If you're looking to buy and have concerns about road performance then test drive as many different configurations as possible and make your own determination.

Were the people telling you the Vista does not handle well driving a 40+ foot diesel pusher?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
28' 8" overall length.

What is wheelbase.

The OL/WB will give you a pretty good idea of how it will handle when compared with those with worse/better ratios. Said another way, if everything else is equal, a coach with a better OL/WB ratio will be more stable, hobby horse less and track better.

Wheelbase on a 28' 8" Vista is 178".
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:

Not sure who's telling you that, but they are not.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Wheelbase is the measurement from the center of the front wheel or axle to the center of the rear wheel or axle.
I don't know how "tag axles" are figured.
Long ago and far away we had a 1977 Pace Arrow 27 foot Class A on a Dodge M400 chassis with the 440 V8. That thing was a joy to drive. The floor plan, however, proved to be terrible!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
28' 8" overall length.

What is wheelbase.

The OL/WB will give you a pretty good idea of how it will handle when compared with those with worse/better ratios. Said another way, if everything else is equal, a coach with a better OL/WB ratio will be more stable, hobby horse less and track better.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Have you driven the MH? Maybe everyone doesn't know what they are talking about. Driveabilty is very subjective. Is it a car? No. Is it it a truck? Yes.
Drive one and make up your own mind.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
I meant 28 ft sorry fat fingers
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
It may be a typo but the shortest Winnebago Vista is 28' 8". GVWR for the shortest vista is 18,000 pounds.

As stated above there are things that can be done to improve driving characteristics.

And bigger is not always better. I have a friend who has a Sightseer that is the next size up from mine and he says that it is very difficult to drive.

Safe travels. JD
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
For new class A coaches the only choice is the Ford F53 chassis.

But the F53 chassis comes in many variations to accommodate different sizes of motor homes.

Wheelbase lengths are:

Wheelbase - 178"
Wheelbase - 190"
Wheelbase - 208"
Wheelbase - 228"
Wheelbase - 242"
Wheelbase - 252"

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) starts at 16,000 pounds for the shortest chassis and goes up to 26,000 pounds for the longest chassis.

These differences in the Ford F53 chassis makes different length and weight chassis handle differently.

I had a 29 foot MH on a 18,000 pound GVWR chassis and it was very difficult to drive. I now have a 35 foot MH on a 24,000 pound GVWR chassis and it is very easy to drive.

I have read on forums that the heavier GVWR chassis behaves better on the road. I know that my 18,000 pound chassis required constant inputs to keep it centered in a lane. My 24,000 pound chassis stays in the center of a lane without as much effort so drivers fatigue is much less.

Also you can get 22.5 inch tires on the larger chassis and I believe that also makes a difference.

Safe travels JD
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
luberhill wrote:

When I bought my motorhome Gassers cam on at least Two or Three different chassis. one was designed for Motor home use the other is a Truck conversion basically.

WHy do you have handling issues.. 4 Answers/suspects.

1: ALignment.. NOT done at the factory
2: SWAY (Think fans at a rock concert holding up their Bic's and swaying side to side) side to side rocking of the RV. Since my RV is on a chassis built for RV use. they put an oversize Sway bar so.. Well it's 13 years now and I"m just starting to notice some sway. may need to have it inspected .

2: WAG.. The suspension is LEAF SPRING with a solid front axle. I am old enough to remember when Independent Front Suspension" was a big advertising thing for pick up trucks. Cars have long had that feature (A-Frame front suspension). and now may have Strut suspension in the rear as well.

With LEAF springs yes the axle can move up and down relative to the body to absorb bumps in road (or help absorb) but what they do not tell you is the body can also move side to side over the axle.

So imagine the front moves to the right as the rear moves to the left. You compensate since you THINK you are moving right. Then they swap. No the front is left of center while the rear is Righ. again you compensate so you go down the road like this /\/\/\/\/\ (Exaggarated but it is the best I can ASCII).
How to stop that? Trac Bars. I'm told the rear is best but I got good results with a Front. May add the Rear later. Untra Power is the one I wish to add.

Finally we have steering stablizers.. I like the ones where you can make minor adjustments from the driver's seat.. Blut Ox Tru-Center was the only one that had that when I had mine installed. Safe-T-Steer has it as an option today.

I would have your co-pilot follow with the towed for a few miles (Say freeway entrance to first rest area) and perhaps use a dash cam to film your RV. see what isues it has. then apply cures as above.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is true that just about (if not all) new Class A gas motorhomes are built on a Ford F53 chassis that have various lengths, tire sizes, gear ratio’s, and max GVWR’s. Older models could be built on either Ford or Chevy/Workhorse, and perhaps Dodge.

What Vista Class A is 18ft?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
They should be telling you it doesn't handle well.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman