cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing an RV from Europe to the US

rebourke2003
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Hawaii for the past 4 decades we have always rented RVs when we travel on the "Mainland" US or in Europe. But now we are moving back to California and wish to purchase a B+ RV. In Europe several companies make very nice small (< 6m or ~19.5 ft)coach built RVs with a design that is not available in the US. (see for example the 5.99m Challenger: http://www.challenger-motorhomes.com/low-profiles/194#model or the Chausson 514: http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/guide-d-achat/chausson-514-ford.html, both of which are built with the Ford Transit chassis and engine). The units are very compact, but come with a raised bed in the rear which makes room for ample storage beneath that is accessible from the outside.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully import one of these small RVs back into the US? The Ford chassis and engine make overcoming the significant USEPA and USDOT import criteria possible, but I'm not so sure about the European wiring and plumbing standards meeting with import restrictions. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has seriously attempted or actually been successful importing an RV from Europe.

Mahalo! (thanks)
21 REPLIES 21

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rebourke,

The electrics and plumbing will be easy to deal with when compared to CARB. Unless you can buy a vehicle that is certified to meet CARB standards, registering it in California will be a multi-year headache.

The 220V 52Hz will be easy to change, you will just have to throw some stuff away and buy new. The plumbing standards are different, and California does require IAPMO approval for a residence and they used to class all RVs as residence, but I do not know if that is still the case.

CARB=California Air Resources Board - people with the rule book that cannot be talked to about reason. They have the rules.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same goes for the Australia RV's... They produce some extreme serious OFF-ROAD RV units... I wish there was an easy way to get some of those here...

Google Image

They too are geared for 220V power and drive on the other side of the road....

You can get away pretty easy by installing a step-up primary transformer but having all your doors and utilities on the other side would definitely be a hugh problem...

I remember all of the standards issues with automobils back in my 50s-60s days serving my country in Germany... The Russian made diesel engine where the worse of the lot back in those days... Best way out was to rig up an over-the-mtn crash and letting the insurance money get you an american made vehicle hehe... Just joking of course...

They was pushing buying a new American made car when you first got over there and having it paid off and picking up a brand new car in NJ when you got off your airplane coming home... Thats where my 63 all black 409 Impala SS Convertible came from haha... That puppy would bring the front wheels off the ground when popping the clutch...

I left NJ with a full tank of gas and just a few dollars in my pocket and made it all the way to the IN/ILL state line. Told my sad story to the gas station there and they filled me up because I was Military returning home from Europe. I was only 150Miles away from home so I went right back to pay them back in a couple of days and they would not take any money from me hehe... This was back in 1963...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I was under the impression that European RV's had the plumbing setup on the wrong side which would make it tough/impossible to use in typical American RV campground. Factory might be able to modify the electric and plumbing but I suspect that might be expensive - worth a phone call.
Kevin

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I just came across this article about a German manufacturer entering the class B+ category in the US:

http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/getting-aktiv/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MHN17243_02162017
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
You'll spend more time and money trying to get the thing to pass U.S regulations than you would if you just bought one from the U.S.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Not practical. As already mentioned, the entire electric system will not be compatible. The next hurdle is converting the vehicle part to U.S. standards. Just because it is a make and model also sold in the U.S. does not mean that it is built to U.S. standards. The vehicle will have to meet current U.S. standards for emissions, safety glass, air bags, crash worthiness, and headlights.

vik1
Explorer
Explorer
If you need somebody in Europe to go to see some stuff or Vehicle, I live in France.
I thing plumbing is not a problem but electric here is 230v
All engines here for this small Rvs is diesel
In France:
GMC Sierra 1500 SLE V8 5.3l 2007
Sun Valley Sun Lite 2005

In USA:
2009 Four winds Chevy 30ft