cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspections

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Having read Johnny T's post about purchasing, the topic is closed, I have a question for the experts.
We have a medium sized cruiser and a standard requirement for obtaining insurance on boats over a certain size is to have a survey. Typically this is an inspection of both systems mechanical and electrical as well as condition of the hull. Surveyors must be qualified,there must be some testing involved.
Question: Is there such a thing for class A's? I see the recommendations to have it inspected by a mechanic but are any certified by a board? I have pretty good skills and knowledge but the complexity of some of these rigs will test both my knowledge and flexibility (I didn't get the knowledge without getting the age to accumulate it.)
Thanks,
Tim
10 REPLIES 10

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately they reinforced my thoughts, take my 72 year old body under, around and through to evaluate my IRA required withdrawal. Good news is it will only take a day to recover! Where did the last 30 years go?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
All most all "experts" in the RV industry are "self anointed". RVIA is directed by the movers and shakers in the RV industry. (The manufactures write the rules by which they play by) NRVIA is a private company that decided it was smart enough to qualify others, for a fee. Even the "UL" label is a "self anointed" entity.
I like to think that I'm knowledgeable about 460 Fords and older F53s. But..........I'm also "self anointed".
So............Who ya going to trust?

Richard
Outstanding Effort Richard!

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
All most all "experts" in the RV industry are "self anointed".

This is the problem with the NRVIA process. I took the courses (mostly RV systems that I knew little about) after buying my DP and before heading out on the road for 6 months. I figured it would save me a few bucks when something broke. If I couldn't fix it myself, at least I'd know something about it so I wouldn't get hosed. Turns out almost nothing broke, but I did pre-fix a bunch of stuff based on what I learned taking the inspector course modules.

The NRVIA certification and badge were just a bonus. Actually, I've done a few pre-buy inspections, but most of the calls are from people who have already purchased the rig and need help figuring it out.

My brother was a wrench-turning mechanic for years and developed a bad back, so he started doing inspections for extended warranty companies. He's pretty busy, so I contacted a few of the ones that offer warranties for RVs. I got a reply from one and a couple of calls for inspections nowhere near where I was.

I'm convinced that there really isn't a market for pre-buy inspections in the RV industry, and certainly not at $1300.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
All most all "experts" in the RV industry are "self anointed". RVIA is directed by the movers and shakers in the RV industry. (The manufactures write the rules by which they play by) NRVIA is a private company that decided it was smart enough to qualify others, for a fee. Even the "UL" label is a "self anointed" entity.
I like to think that I'm knowledgeable about 460 Fords and older F53s. But..........I'm also "self anointed".
So............Who ya going to trust?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I have never needed an inspection of any kind to qualify for insurance.

In my example I was only speaking watercraft insurance, generally in the 30'+ category.
Tim

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
X-2

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
The NRVIA certifies inspectors with an online course and tests and a hands-on inspection at their facility. You do not need the hands-on part to get the NRVIA certified inspector badge for you website or business cards, just to get references from NRVIA.

NRVIA charges something like $1300 for a full class A inspection and the inspector gets half of that. They require the inspectors to get errors and omissions insurance. I've never talked to anyone that would pay $1300 for an inspection. I charge $300 and most people think that's too much. I believe that's what my time and expertise are worth.

I took the courses and the tests, downloaded my badge and that's all I had to do with them. Printed up some business cards and dropped them off at the local RV shop. I give the shop employee that refers me $50. I do 3-6 inspections a year.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If the boat springs a leak it's gone, if an RV springs a leak it might take years to show up and even then you can walk home. You say you have pretty good skills so you can check it over as through as you want. No guessing and you will know what you are getting.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there are inspectors
yes they are "certified"
The certifying organization is suspect to me. The standard contract states they are only responsible to the value of your contract if they miss something. That is why most prefer a professional repair person familiar with the class rv you have as an inspector.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind