cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install new front cap

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
A pick up coming South as I was going North at about 55MPH decided to turn left in front of me. The out come was not good. Best thing no one hurt. Totaled his truck. I went over his hood and was on two wheels. I thought I was going over. Any way Freightliner checked me out no frame damage. Everything mechanical except steering linkage looks good. Lots of fiberglass destroyed. Question is....who or what type of a shop would you consider to replace the front cap?
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
40 REPLIES 40

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
If you cant find new parts the body shop could check here:
Visone RV parts

They claim to have "Worlds Largest Selection Of Used RV / Motorhome Parts for sale."
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
These are all great inputs. Thank you. I will follow up on them and let you know as things progress. What a great forum, RVers helping RVers. A big thank you to the sponser.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your wheels were up in the air which means there is a very good chance of twisting the frame. All of the leveler manufacturers talk about using your jacks properly to avoid twisting the frame so it seems that this is something that can happen, especially if ONE corner of the coach is lifted enough to get both side tires off of the ground.
The coach may feel fine, but as many of us have seen when we drive behind a vehicle that is "crabbing" down the highway......just because it seems to drive OK does not mean that it is OK.
You definitely need to assure that the frame is not twisted and that proper alignment and thrust angle can be achieved with the usual adjustments.
A crash like this can have a huge amount of hidden damage. Don't let them just repair what they can see, insist on a compete documented verification inspection that the structural portion of the coach is also OK. Make them show you the alignment specs/readout.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe there is that much damage. I believe a good RV body shop can fix that fair easy. I have seen lot worse then that and they have fixed them.
I do not believe the vertical stringers would be damaged through out the house part of the coach.
Freightliner is only the chassis part and the vertical stringers would be Fleetwood. But it would take a roll over in my opinion for the stringers to get damaged. The impact was in the front driver side and that is where most of the damage is. Front cap, fender and some side body fiber glass repairs.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Dave. The top of the curb side slide did open at the top while we were two wheeling and slammed back pretty hard when we came back down. I'll make some calls on your points. We did drive about 50 miles at 50+ MPH house seemed tight no odd noises or "loseness".

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
It's really too bad you can't drive it. It would be nice to put some miles on it, to prove out the structural integrity. When you talk about the slides needing adjustment, that seems like the upper frame may be tweaked. Freightliner would only be able to check the frame underneath, and would not have any way to prove the house frame is OK. With a hard impact, the whole box could have tweaked forward on the frame. It would be good if you could prove the vertical stringers are all still vertical and attached to the floor. Might be worth checking to see if the hole for the slide is sill square.
IRV2

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The damage

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
These are encouraging stories. We live 6 or so months a year in the motorhome. Just returned from a 12,000 mile trip up to the Maretimes. This happened just outside Parker on our way to our sons in Lake Havasu for Thanksgiving. Though it doesn't look too bad it sure makes you sick to your stomach. Doesn't look as bad now as it did 15 minutes after the wreck. Alot of fiberglass cracked in top cap and windshield broken, also need to check slides they work but need adjustment. Broken fiberglass around both rear tires caused by going up on two tires then coming back down. Underside of curb side cargo boxes torn from debris going under coach. Front cross member shifted, left brake pulling, air bag mount shifted, spring bushing shifted, gear box impacted and a bit more minor stuff. Don't want to bore you or sound like a cry baby. Main concern is front cap and integrity of the house. Most of all happy no one injured.
Thanks again.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that had a tree fall on the roof and front cap of his 4 year old Winnebago. The insurance company paid a low boy to haul it to the factory for repair and then paid him mileage to go pick it up.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a complete front cap replaced on a Travel Supreme Select model that hit the back of a semi trailer out West. Their insurance company paid for towing it to Precision Painting in Bremen, IN. (who painted all of the Travel Supreme Motor homes). The were able to find a complete new cap. This was a very extensive repair and looked like new when finished.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip Greyghost

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
CW has a collision center near by but I'm gun shy about such an extensive repair.

I had some body work done on our Newmar at this CW. They are very thorough. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
The top half of the cap is shattered and held together by paint. It has to be replaced. The windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced. Fleetwood can mold all the parts. Like I said not a total maybe 50K in repairs. Insurance says to repair unless structural damage. Freightliner checked it out front to rear. Bent bell crank worst chassis problem. CW has a collision center near by but I'm gun shy about such an extensive repair. I've seen Freightliner's body shop work on trucks and custom cars....just concerned about their MH abilities and knowledge. Thanks for your help again. I'll call around and work with the insurance company.

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
Try RV Renovators 2145 E. Main St. Mesa, AZ. 85213. Phone 480 962-6789. They are a full service collision Repair shop.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD