cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance

sunnybrooktoyha
Explorer
Explorer
Am looking at class A rvs . Was wondering how much you pay for insurance an what company do you use. Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
We have Good Sams and the one thing I like about that is you can put the MH into storage mode and it drops the payment by a 1/3 and is still covered except collision. Then you can call and reinstate and be on your way. Not sure if other companies do that or not. We fulltime and have had no issues.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Blue Sky for a few years - very cheap. Had a refrigerator fire - they stood tall on fixing it. It was repaired and every inch of the inside cleaned by Serve Pro, who in my opinion ripped them off. They have not raised my rate or threatened to cancel me. I will stick with them and recommend them highly.
2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
BigLar368 wrote:
I went to progressive and it asked for my SS#. No thanks.

They may want your SSN to assess your credit status. Some of the insurance companies use credit scores as part of rate determinations. Presumably they believe that people with high credit scores tend to have a lower claim rates.

BigLar368
Explorer
Explorer
I went to progressive and it asked for my SS#. No thanks.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
It is pretty easy to go to Progressive.com, put in your information, and get an instant quote.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
The cost depends on a lot of factors such as:
MSRP of the RV
Frequency of claims for that model
Type of claims for that model
Type of coverage chosen (i.e. replacement cost or ACV)
Options included in the coverage
Any contents coverage desired
State of residence
Type of driver's license e.g. if you have a CDL your rates will be significantly less expensive
Driving record of the listed drivers
Age of RV
Sale price (actual price paid for purchase)

There can be other factors such as if an RV is owned by an LLC it would be considered "commercial" rather than "personal" and would require commercial insurance. Some companies have better claims experience with RVs than other companies do an thus charge lower rates. This means it is very difficult if not impossible to generalize about insurance rates for RVs in general. It is possible to determine if a particular model is more or less expensive than average to insure in a particular zip code at a particular company. The best thing to do is to get the VIN number and ask for quotes from several insurance companies. Many automotive insurance companies do not understand RVs very well and try to fit them into a "car" or "auto" policy and it is difficult to do so and you can have poor claims experience.
FMCA member

sunnybrooktoyha
Explorer
Explorer
I should have said I'm looking at a 40 foot dp

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I pay almost 700 but just like the MH, there is cheep ins and expensive ins. If you want more coverage it costs more.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rates vary widely and wildly based on a lot of factors including state, size, etc. But, I have a quote for my next brand new Newmar Bay Star Sport for here in SC for about $850. Still have time to shop around.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT