Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter and charging

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
Question: will my car alternator charge the house batteries while driving? I will be using my in-motion sat dish while driving.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
roadrat57 wrote:
It's Fleetwood Fiesta 31 lx . Sat dish runs off 12 volt with the other systems running on 120. Yah, I can run the gen but would prefer the inverter if the batteries do not get drained while driving.

Yes! Your alternator will provide more than enough juice to keep your batteries charged. There will be no need to run the generator.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it will.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
We run the fridge and anything else we might want intermittently, like the coffee maker for example, while going down the road and the batteries are usually up after a few hours running time and depending with how much they were depleted from the previous day's usage. Obviously we don't run the fridge on the inverter for any length of time, shut down and being that it's not of the residential type.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, modern electronic devices, especially those designed mainly for the RV market, are optimised for low operating current. So, you're good.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

MrWizard
Very low load compared to other items like the furnace etc..
Should be ok, but I would start the trip with fully charged batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Moved from Forum Technical Support

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe they will hold their own. They will not gain much charge, but most likely not drop.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
It's Fleetwood Fiesta 31 lx . Sat dish runs off 12 volt with the other systems running on 120. Yah, I can run the gen but would prefer the inverter if the batteries do not get drained while driving.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What kind of rig are we dealing with?
In motion can be operating quite a bit. In a car(?) doubt full whether the alternator can keep up with TV and satelite. In a MH, the alternator may keep up, but not enough to charge batteries and operate the system.
If in RV with genset, run the genset!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker