cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inverter

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 bounder 35-E has a 300 watt inverter that runs the rear TV. We do not use that outlet to run the TV.We use it to run my wife's C-Pap machine and it works fine. The inverter is mounted in one of the storage bins under the coach We use it when we are dry camping but it is a little loud. I'm looking at a 1000 Watt to replace the 300. Does anyone out there use an inverter for this reason? If so what inverter do you use and how many watts is it? Thanks Tom
13 REPLIES 13

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When using DC machinery in RV has lot of advantages, replacing the equipment you already have, when you need inverter anyway might not make economical sense.
I do have one of those $19 300W inverters for cars and the cheap fan can be really squeaky.
Than the 1600W Xantrek makes less noise, but for long stay the fan takes lot of power.
There is no "one size fits all" for most of the users and I would consider 2 inverters for motorhome.
If CPAP takes less than 120W, you can buy fanless inverter that will make no noise at all. Just observe cooling space.
Than for microwave get one of those 1000W and don't worry about noise.
Inverter/charger would be top of the line, so would be replacing motorhome with Prevost conversion that will have all the electrical already set.
Your choice

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Also of note, if you do go to 120v inverter, is what sine wave requirements for the CPAP. Does it require PSW or is MSW good enough?

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
Mowermech Thanks for the update. How many batteries do you have and do you use the Humidifier? The 12VDC power cord seams like the way to go. I had no idea the C-pap would run on DC. I have 4 batteries in my coach so there should be no problem.Thanks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why have 1000 watts if 300 will do the deed? Overhead from running the 1000 watt may be higher. Morningstar is the "go to" inverter in the 300 watt size.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I both have CPAP machines by Phillips.
Both are 12VDC machines, with 110VAC adapters. I bought the 12VDC power cords for both machines, and we run both of them all night on the coach batteries no problem.
In fact, when we have electric hookups, we still use the 12VDC power cords.
There is no inverter in our coach. We have never missed it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
I also run a 300 wat for my CPAP. What I found is to place the inverter as close to the battery and then run the 110 power cord back to the CPAP. Ac runs a longer run without loss then DC
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Magnum 2000 watt which the RV place said was bad, but I sent it in to Magnum and they fixed it under warranty. 2 year warranty gets extended to 5 years if you have a control panel.

The RV shop replaced it with an MSW Xantrex 2000 (after chasing down the bad ground that I told them was the actual problem). Both were mounted in the basement compartment that has the transfer switch and Progressive surge protector. Can't really here it.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
At a thousand watts you will find they all have noisy fans... You might consider mounting near the battery - you will save on the heavy guage wire for the 12v connection and it will be out of the living area... Then run regular 10g house wiring to a detacated plug with a remote switch

Here is a nice model that comes with a nice remote/monitor included
http://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=390_405&products_id=2158

You might spend a little more for a 2,000w version - Here is a nice setup:
http://youtu.be/gm4NeZCQyvY

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach came with the Xantrex 458 Freedom 2000 watt inverter/charger that is a MSW inverter and when we installed the RR frig we installed the Magnum 2812 PSW inverter. One reason the wife likes to sew and machine motors do not like MSW, also electric blanket may also catch fire and it may also be hard on C-Pap machines machines and pc.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My 300 watt Go Power sine wave is very quiet.
Fan only comes on near full load.

+1 for Morningstar that is absolutely silent with no fan.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told that there are 12V CPAPs that run on 12v (obviously). Some even run on 12 volts that people already own. They actually are used to using the cord supplied for 115VAC and don't realize that their CPAP is actually 12VDC with a AC adapter. Worth a look!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
If the 300W is sufficient, I can recommend a Morningstar 300W Suresine. There are no moving parts and it will handle 600W for 15 min.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Xantrex 458 12 volt 2000 watt inverter/charger. It does a good job running everything except the air conditioner/heat pump.

They usually sell for around $1350. but now they are on sale at Amazon for $871.06

Plus you will need the Xantrex Freedom basic remote also which sells for $121.02
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision