cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invertor for boondocking

wowens9716
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling we boondock and would like to watch tv but not run generator. What is good invertor to use? Thanks for any help.
Winnebago vista 31 2015
9 REPLIES 9

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say always go with a pure sine if budget allows. Otherwise for electronics modified sine should work. For a TV you should not need a real pricey one.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

lonfu
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend a Samlex Solar PST-600-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter

the fan doesn't run while we watch tv and it produces no lines in the set or interference with the cd or vhs player. I use 12 gauge wire on a short run. If you decide to use a high load(amp) appliance like a coffee maker or micro wave then you will need a much heavier wire. Last I checked they were about $210. on amazon. Don't waste your money on a non-pure sinewave unit like I did, yes, they are cheaper but the lines on the tv were awful.
May your black water hose never break! Life Charter member since 89

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I use a Go Power sine wave 300 watts. No fan for just watching tv.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
When we used a small inverter for just the TV and satellite dish it was a tiny 150w unit and did great except for the loud fan. So I'll agree with the Morningstar 300w.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sure sine is the best of the best. Nice that it has no fan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 300 watt. it runs the TV, dvd player can watch about 8 hrs before needing to be charged.
my batteries are up front and tv toward middle. could run an extension cable from inverter to TV, but I like to turn off inverter when done. am looking for an inverter that I can turn off remotely.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started with a 300WATT model and ended up with a 600WATT PSW power Inverter by AIMS from AMAZON $159... It is being used all the time even when we are connected to shore power...

Seems like once you find out how neat it is having this emergency power source available you keep wanting to add something else to it haha.. We usually only run about 300WATTS of power but nice to have the reserve power when we need it... The reserve power comes in handy for us when it gets cool inside watchiing HDTV and turning on a couple of low wattage lap blankets...

I installed two long multihead extensions cords from the Power Inverter which is installed close to the battery bank with one going to the home entertainment areas and the other one going to a table top near the master bed area.

Being Pure Sine Wave anyone can use it without having fears of the items going up in blue smoke..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Just look on the back of the TV and find the wattage rating. Now choose an inverter that is capable of putting out at least that number of watts continuous. As said earlier, a pure sine wave inverter would probably be a better choice for this usage (less noise on TV).

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
For just a TV the best inverter available is the Morningstar Sure Sine 300w. It is price but you get what you pay for.
If you want something less expensive but still very good I would recommend a Samlex pure sine inverter.