cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritating unusual loud rattle forward area of slide

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
My 2104 Itasca Sunstar 31KE has developed an intermittent rattle/rubbing - and a bit louder than other ambient rattles sound- somewhere near the top forward area of the slide- above and behind where the slide intersects with the wall near the drivers seat. The sound/ rattle is somewhat loud and a bit consistent.

I have been unable to birdog the source and wondered if anyone else had a similar sound and was able to isolate and identify what it might be. I don't think its the slide motor as the slide seems to work perfectly. Yesterday while on the interstate it kicked up again and the mrs was able to apply some pressure to the slide wall area which seemed to mitigate the noise, making me think there was just some minor slop in the slide creating the rattle.She was able to eliminate the noise with w vit of pressure on the slide wall.

I thought I'd try a slide bar to take the slack out as minimal as the movement seems.

I wondered if it might be the forward part of the slide canopy banging around on the outside?????- but have not noticed any weakness there.

Any similar experiences or fixes out there?
4 REPLIES 4

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If the slide is moving around in the opening, it may need to just be adjusted. On my previous coach, if I didn't use my threaded lock bar, the slide would move around enough right behind the driver's seat to be annoying. On y current coach, I had one occasion where the slide behind the driver was making noise, but it has auto locks.

Now, I make sure that when bringing in the slide, I hold the button down for a second longer to make sure the slide is tight. Next time you get the rattle, pull over, extend the slide a few inches and then bring it back in, holding down the retract switch an extra second after contact.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Try lubing your slide and rails.
2013 ACE 29.2

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
slide toppers are a possibility. If your slide is operated with the cable system, over time the cable can stretch and slap

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Slide toppers are known to rattle inside, no fix I'm told.