cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 50 gallons of fresh water enough for boondocking?

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
Is 50 gallons of fresh water enough for boondocking? I wonder how long that would last. It seems that the smaller rigs have a smaller water capacity.
59 REPLIES 59

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
huntdooly wrote:
Is 50 gallons of fresh water enough for boondocking? I wonder how long that would last. It seems that the smaller rigs have a smaller water capacity.

With all the conveniences of home, except for Navy showers of course, you might make two days. I don't skip days for showering and we have both a marine type and tecma toliet that uses lotsa water, so with our 105 gallons, four days is pushing it.
As always, your mileage may vary.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Showers: I grew up on a dairy farm shoveling political promises (Well. same aroma in any case) so a daily baty was the rule.

Upon reflection the question in teh subject line is wrong
50 gallons IS enough for boondocking.. But FOR HOW LONG

1 night. 1 week 1 month. All depends on your water usage
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, when I was a kid (11 years old to 14 years old... I'm 63 now), my parents had their Phoenix Travel Trailer (18 feet long), parked at a primitive campground, except for an occasional trip, it sat there all Summer long.

It only had a long extension cord that plugged into a power outlet like one inside your home. No water. Water was supplied by a single hand pump and no running toilets. There were 2 sets of out-houses, and DO I remember the stink.

We survived all Summer under these conditions for a few years in a row. Shower/bathing was never an issue for us kids especially. We swam in the adjacent river so much, we never had time to stink. Well, we might have smelled like the old river, but everything else did too. So body odes was never a problem.

Looking back on those days, it sure was simple. Get a bucket of water from the old hand pump, carry it about 1/3 of mile to our campsite, and of course... parents made us kids do that, and that bucket lasted all day long.

Strange how times have changed. I love my air-conditioning now!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œ I have a hard time keeping track of the gray water as it seems to just disappear.โ€

Grey water doesnโ€™t disappear. If you are dumping it on the ground say so. Oh wait, thatโ€™s a crime!

Very few places prohibit dumping your grey water, even in Kalifornia. Many CG encourage it. If you think it's a crime, good for you. However, it's not unless prohibited by local ordinance....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Topic- Showers. Apparently many people use most of their water for showers. We are seniors and grew up when people commonly took about 1 full bath or shower per week due to many reasons. Today younger people freak out over this and to us seem to be obsessive-compulsive over cleanliness. A long shower daily versus one every 2 to 4 days makes a lot of difference in water consumption. Yet this is sufficient with some variation with humidity and activity level.
.Health professionals will tell you that there is no health reason to bathe daily and it may even be harmful. Odor varies but seldom occurs when not bathing daily. Just a FYI.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. Water weighs 8 lbs./gal.
Jayco-noslide

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fresh water is the limiting factor for me. If I were to buy another MH it would have at least 80 gals of FW. I have 60 gals now and can go 7 days with two people. When I went out west last year with my son and GS we could stay only about 3 days in one spot which was OK because we were in a traveling mode and wanted to see a lot of the west. Another way to look at it is with just 2 people after 7 days I still had 50% SOC on two GC batteries with no generator usage, but my wife wanted to do laundry and wash the bedding anyway so I would stop at a FHU CG to do laundry, dump and fill and recharge my batteries and then move on to another area.

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
huntdooley,

I looked back over your previous posts trying to get a better understanding of why you are asking this specific question. Reading your previous posts, it sounds like you are still searching or considering getting an RV of some sort, you currently do not have one. Your first post, you were looking at a CLASS-A asking questions. Then questions about length, and questions about boondocking.

If you are still asking these questions in an attempt to figure out what kind of RV will work best for you, well .... hang in there. Keep asking your questions. Through all the jesting going on, like on this thread, there is still an undertow of wisdom in what is being said. Don't get lost in the humor over what is really being said.

Folks on here have had years and years of experience with all sorts of RVing issues. We all can sit back and laugh and have fun, and poke at each other, and I think everyone understands, and still knows, in spite of some of the silliness, the reason for the silliness... only because we've all been-there-done-that and had our own failures we laugh at now.

So, to try to a give a more serious answer which may help you with your needs in your search, the answer for boondocking is: Bigger is better. Bigger tanks and bigger batteries. A solution is needed to rejuvenate batteries and be able to convert that to 120 volt AC, to acquire water fill up, and the ability to discharge waste water. There is no set standard as everyone's camping style and usage of resources is different.

As you can tell by the many varied responses, 50 gallons of water may last for 1 hour for some and it may last a week for someone else. It all really depends on your own style of usage.

The secret to successful boondocking is to stretch out your available resources as long as you can, or at least until they can be replenished. Only you can figure that out. And actually, it takes some time to get good at it.

When you finally do get that camper, I suggest you try a boondock in your own drive way several times so you have the safety net of your own home right there. Start with just a 24 hour period. Replenish everything, and go for a 36 hour period. Replenish everything and try to stretch it out for 48 hours. And keep experimenting until you fully understand the limits of your camper, your own style and needs, and still be able to maintain a safe, clean, and happy experience.

Once you figure out how to stretch living off grid for your max duration, then work on alternative ways for replenishing power, water, and dumping waste without the safety net of the house. Eventually you'll figure out how long your you can go. This practice will help you build confidence in your camping equipment and build confidence in simply....knowing your own self. But most important, have fun doing it. Live, laugh, and play! If it becomes too much of a concern or too consuming you can't enjoy the experience, even trying to learn, you are overstressing it way too much. RVing should be a pleasurable experience. It has it's responsibilities, yes. But it shouldn't suck your joy away thinking you are doing it wrong, or whatever. There are no rights or wrongs. There are just different ways of doing it. Each person is unique. Each style is unique. What works for one, does not work at all for another.

And oh, fyi.... while you are home, practice taking those Navy showers on a daily basis. You know, get wet, turn the water off. Soap up, then rinse. Do it all using less than 1 minute of actual running water. Yes ... you can do it. Practice at home, in the camper it will be very easy then.

Good luck!

Yes, we are still searching for a camper. Very new to Class As. It seems that it is nearly impossible to find a short camper with any kind of counter space, so the wife is quite frustrated.

Thank you for the idea of practicing on our property! That is an excellent suggestion! We did have to practice sponge bathing and water conservation when we lost power for 10 days last year and 3 days this year due to storms (we have a well - so no power = no water). I said that it was great practice for boondocking! So, we made it fun!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Personally I don't think you can have too much fresh water.

Many, many very happy boondockers could and do manage well with 50 gallons. Everyone is different. We don't waste water to have long showers.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I typed a longer post but decided not to answer.Is 50 gallons enough for the way you want to live for a period of time?
Personally I don't think you can have too much fresh water.
There have been places and times where we would have stayed aq lot longer than our 100 gallons would have allow.
I've considered an auxiliary tank in one of the bays if I could find a properly baffled tank etc. Half a tank of sloshing water could throw you off the road perhaps or the tank through the bay doors.
I have never checked to see if a larger replacement tank between the rails above the bays would fit but that is the way I would go.Short answer, for us: No! Get a unit with as much fresh water tank or storage as you can find/afford or..... order one with as much storage as possible.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
My wife loves a 15-20 minute shower every day
Would probably use less water taking a bath.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife loves a 15-20 minute shower every day, so it wouldn't last long for us. Everyone is different. Simple answer is to "boondock" in your driveway and see how you do.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
And FYI: We carry extra water, and use this tank for fill ups when we are at a campsite that does not have full hook-ups.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
huntdooley,

I looked back over your previous posts trying to get a better understanding of why you are asking this specific question. Reading your previous posts, it sounds like you are still searching or considering getting an RV of some sort, you currently do not have one. Your first post, you were looking at a CLASS-A asking questions. Then questions about length, and questions about boondocking.

If you are still asking these questions in an attempt to figure out what kind of RV will work best for you, well .... hang in there. Keep asking your questions. Through all the jesting going on, like on this thread, there is still an undertow of wisdom in what is being said. Don't get lost in the humor over what is really being said.

Folks on here have had years and years of experience with all sorts of RVing issues. We all can sit back and laugh and have fun, and poke at each other, and I think everyone understands, and still knows, in spite of some of the silliness, the reason for the silliness... only because we've all been-there-done-that and had our own failures we laugh at now.

So, to try to a give a more serious answer which may help you with your needs in your search, the answer for boondocking is: Bigger is better. Bigger tanks and bigger batteries. A solution is needed to rejuvenate batteries and be able to convert that to 120 volt AC, to acquire water fill up, and the ability to discharge waste water. There is no set standard as everyone's camping style and usage of resources is different.

As you can tell by the many varied responses, 50 gallons of water may last for 1 hour for some and it may last a week for someone else. It all really depends on your own style of usage.

The secret to successful boondocking is to stretch out your available resources as long as you can, or at least until they can be replenished. Only you can figure that out. And actually, it takes some time to get good at it.

When you finally do get that camper, I suggest you try a boondock in your own drive way several times so you have the safety net of your own home right there. Start with just a 24 hour period. Replenish everything, and go for a 36 hour period. Replenish everything and try to stretch it out for 48 hours. And keep experimenting until you fully understand the limits of your camper, your own style and needs, and still be able to maintain a safe, clean, and happy experience.

Once you figure out how to stretch living off grid for your max duration, then work on alternative ways for replenishing power, water, and dumping waste without the safety net of the house. Eventually you'll figure out how long your you can go. This practice will help you build confidence in your camping equipment and build confidence in simply....knowing your own self. But most important, have fun doing it. Live, laugh, and play! If it becomes too much of a concern or too consuming you can't enjoy the experience, even trying to learn, you are overstressing it way too much. RVing should be a pleasurable experience. It has it's responsibilities, yes. But it shouldn't suck your joy away thinking you are doing it wrong, or whatever. There are no rights or wrongs. There are just different ways of doing it. Each person is unique. Each style is unique. What works for one, does not work at all for another.

And oh, fyi.... while you are home, practice taking those Navy showers on a daily basis. You know, get wet, turn the water off. Soap up, then rinse. Do it all using less than 1 minute of actual running water. Yes ... you can do it. Practice at home, in the camper it will be very easy then.

Good luck!

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone! This has been so helpful!! Carrying extra water sounds great! We drink bottled water anyway, so we will be carrying drinking water separately anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚