cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone making small (<30') Class A diesels?

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
I got to check out a Tiffin Allegro this past Saturday. Can't recall the floorplan but it was a 31'. I'm still not sold on the idea of a 'bigger' coach, and I'd really prefer a diesel to a gas engine. I saw that Tiffin made a 28' diesel Class A not that long ago, but the smallest Breeze now is 31'. Is anyone (worth mentioning) making a smaller diesel pusher?

Maybe I just need to drive one and see if my preconceptions about driving something that big is actually a MISconception. LOL
7 REPLIES 7

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edit: Deleted accidental double posting brought on by a forum server error.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small diesel pusher that handles well is going to be hard to find, since having the engine and transmission behind the rear axle requires a certain amount of rear overhang (with a good bit of weight). If the overall chassis is too short, this overhang becomes relatively larger and cause handling and balance problems.

That's not to say this is an impossible problem to work around; a traverse engine and transaxle design similar to a front wheel drive car, for instance, could allow for a rear engine with relatively minimal rear overhang. I rather doubt anyone would make such a unit for what is relatively speaking a very tiny market (small diesel pusher motorhomes would never be common vehicles, at least in comparison to larger ones, or to medium and heavy duty trucks, or to vans or cars....)

bleeder_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2008 Class A, last fall. We previously had a 2005 Class C at 29 feet. Now we have a 38 foot deasil. We didn't want an RV that big. The C's have a weak frame. The new shorter A's frames aren't much better. Our A is a Freightliner frame. This frame is built like a tank. I wish it was shorter. Though the ride is great and worth it.
Beau, Ninon and "The 6 Samoyeds"

Amateur Radio "N1MJD" monitoring 146.520
2008 Damon Astoria 3772

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Via....drives\handles like a large minivan. My wife is comfortable driving it.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Allen,

You really need to drive a class A to see how they feel/perform. We went from a 42 ft. to a 45 ft.. To me, it's the height and width that is important, not so much the length.

Sure, you have to watch tail swing but when you are talking 28 ft. to 31 ft., you just won't notice the difference.

The only difference that I really notice going from 42 to 45 is once I get into my storage garage. The garage is about 50 ft. in length. I leave the Blue Ox tow-bar on the back and have to pull really close in the front so that I can close the garage door.

Get out there and drive some motorhomes!!! Have fun!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Via
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends just purchased a Winnebago Via. It is 25-26 feet long.
They are very impressed with it.

Happy Travels!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge