cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is It A Rear Engine Or Rear Drive That Makes It A Pusher?

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
All vehicles except those that are front wheel drive propel the vehicle from the rear. Front engines with rear wheel drive are pushers.

Why the big effort to segarate vehicle drives by engine choices?

Isn't it just another way to post engine preference? :h :R
23 REPLIES 23

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
frankdamp wrote:
How would you classify a car with a rear engine that is front-wheel drive? There was one in Europe in the mid 1950's. I think it was a Goggomobil, but not sure.

I'd classify it as an abomination! You get all the "joys" of a big lump down the middle of the floor, poorer engine cooling, a nice long driveshaft, and extra weight over the non-driven wheels for...um...not a whole lot of useful advantage.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
How would you classify a car with a rear engine that is front-wheel drive? There was one in Europe in the mid 1950's. I think it was a Goggomobil, but not sure.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
I always thought a DP was a Diesel Pickup!!!!

In my old neighborhood in Chicago a DP was what we called a non Irish immigrant, you know, Poles, Italians, Greeks, Germans, Bohemians and such. I guess that was a remnant of WW II talk.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
All vehicles except those that are front wheel drive propel the vehicle from the rear. Front engines with rear wheel drive are pushers.

The reference is to the engine being in the back.
There are front mounted diesels and rear mounted gasoline engines, as well. The rear gas powered UFO coaches are out of production and not so sure if any front mounted diesels are still being produced or not. The were also a Workhorse product that survived for a couple of years after the demise of the GM 8.1 engine and with WH changing hands and ownership.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought a DP was a Diesel Pickup!!!!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I came through a toll booth last week (one I have been through a hundred plus times) and the lady attendant at the booth asked me if I was towing. I smiled and said that it was a Jeep Pusher....the Jeep was pushing the Motorhome.

She appeared not to appreciate the humor.

Really, does an engine placement determine the drive wheels?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:

:h :R

I don't think there's any "big effort to segregate" anything. It's just a way to differentiate one drive train type from another. Helps you understand how things work when folks are describing a particular vehicle. Kind of like calling one vehicle a SUV and another a minivan.

In fact, Allegro has starting calling them REDs (rear engine diesel). Just a marketing way to say DP.

Tiffen only calls the Allegro RED a RED. They call their Breeze, Allegro, Phaeton, Bus and Zephyr all by their respective names and they are all diesel pushers. I don't see any effort to impose the term RED (Rear Engine Diesel) onto any of the other lines except RED - a long standing Tiffen model name. I think it was just a quirky name they came up with at one time and it stuck enough to label one of their models in the lineup.

Us humans sure spend a lot of time worrying about how terms get started and why we continue using them. Kind of pathetic. I grew up with Triple Tow meaning a camper and a boat behind a station wagon, and a Class A meaning a big rectangular box with headlights. Now the trucking industry tries to dominate the terms for double and triple tow and push their version into RV land, and I see FMCA uses "Type" A, B, and C motorhomes to avoid inferring any kind of stature associated with different classes. Jee-zoots some people have a lot of time on their hands.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:

:h :R

I don't think there's any "big effort to segregate" anything. It's just a way to differentiate one drive train type from another. Helps you understand how things work when folks are describing a particular vehicle. Kind of like calling one vehicle a SUV and another a minivan.

In fact, Allegro has starting calling them REDs (rear engine diesel). Just a marketing way to say DP.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
In a parallel universe - when the same rear engine diesel chassis was introduced into fire apparatus, the nickname "hush pumper" caught on, because they were quiet enough in the front to have a conversation. I don't think I ever heard the term "diesel pusher" until I looked at RVs.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
Engine in front pulling,engine in rear pushing

Not really. If the front engine uses a drive shaft to power the rear wheels, it's still pushing. That's the OP's point.
However, it's just a designation to help potential buyers understand where the engine is located.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bruce_Brown
PastorCharlie wrote:

The diesel part is just one advantage of the diesel pusher. The air ride, better brakes, smoother ride, heavier GVWR, increased storage, etc also have a lot to do with it.

These are things a diesel puller and a gas pusher don't offer.

It's not to segregate, it's to differentiate.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:

Maybe your initials should stand for Politically Correct.
It's a slow day at my house too.....GRIN

Richard

PastorCharlie....

C'mon man. You cannot be serious. (eye roll)

Bill
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the era of gas rationing in Europe after the Suez crisis (mid-1950s), there were all kinds of weird cars launched on the market. My ride to work was a three-wheel "bubble" car made by Heinkel. The engine (175 ccs) and transmission were in the rear and drove the rear wheel, so it was a "pusher". It was a side-by-side 2-place "car" and the entire front opened, taking the steering wheel along to allow driver and passenger entrance/exit.

With rationed fuel and short supplies, 125 mpg was pretty good and you weren't out in the weather like on a motorcycle. It didn't win any "Stop-light Grand Prix", though.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The opposite of pusher is puller. So engine behind drive wheels = pusher, engine in front of drive wheels = puller. We don't seem to hear the term puller though. So in general a pusher refers to a DP. And most pushers are diesel, but the UFO chassis is a gas pusher. So the answer to the OP question is "engine behind drive axle".
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad