cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is RV living for me?

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
Newly retired senior checking out idea of full time RV living as I have wanted to do this for many yrs but got scared off by possible high cost of living that way.
I'm looking into renting a motorhome class C about 24-26ft for 2 mos to experience RV living (I've often camped in a tent). I would be heading down the east coast of US Apr-May.
Your forum is great for info and I love reading your stories!
Living in NS, sales taxes are very high and a friend suggested it would be less expensive to rent one in US eg Maine(although $can is only about US$oo.92 right now.)
Does anyone have suggestions about how to go about this the best way and what would be a good model to rent? If I like it, I would look into buying one.
Thanks, Maria
ps this is my first experience with a forum!
20 REPLIES 20

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
All advice is appreciated! I'm now thinking of flying to Atlanta from east coast of Canada and renting one there for 2 weeks just to become acquainted with RV living.I know this isn't nearly long enough to discover what full time is like but it gets my feet wet. I plan to spend the rest of this year checking out many RV's until I'm ready to buy a used one to try for a longer period next winter,then sell it or buy a better one if that still appeals.Since I love traveling I suspect RV life may work for me.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Don't rent for two months,too expensive. Be aware that the "thrill" of daily living in a class C may wear off after a while. We lived in our 27 footer during a lengthy home remodel and didn't want to go back to it for some time afterward. Met a couple who sold their home and went on the road. Wife began to pine away for her home,and surrounds, friends, etc. They could not afford to buy another home. A lot depends on you and your mate's personality and emotions. Some women are "home bodies" some are not.

jonthebru
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:

A very popular 2 week RV vacation is to fly into Las Vegas, do the grand loop returning back there, then fly back home. Europeans do that all the time.

That is exactly what I was going to recommend. I live on Maui and want to fly to either vegas or phoenix do the drive through the west and return to the same place. 22ft RV, 14 days for about $1200.00 from phoenix; the vegas price is $1106.00. Trying to find someone to do that with from here. But when I full time it I will do it solo.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
They say renting is a good introduction to RVing, but I do wonder what it will cost to rent one for 2 months. You might want to consider a 2 week trip to see how it goes. If you really enjoyed it, then consider buying one. Two weeks of experience, and this forum in combination, could equip you adequately to make a wise decision as to what to consider, if anything at all.

A very popular 2 week RV vacation is to fly into Las Vegas, do the grand loop returning back there, then fly back home. Europeans do that all the time.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
One feature you will be glad to have are water systems that are completely contained in a heated environment, both engine and LPG furnace heat. Triple E from Winkler, Manitoba offer these options in their Class C XL versions. As far as used vs new, we have owned 3 Triple E MHs and all resulted from private sales.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Renting an RV for 2 months is going to be Megabucks! Your best bet is to get on the RV nets and all the fulltimer's Blogs and read. Then maybe rent one for a few days or week just to get the feel of it. Renting one for 2 months would put a huge dent in my life's savings.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Owning and maintaining an RV is a hobby in itself. Class C motorhomes are a box truck chock full of appliances and devices that need 120v AC and 12v DC and propane supply to operate and provide you the "comforts of home". Batteries and charging equipment must be monitored and maintained. Most RV's are not well insulated and the windshield and windows allow cold and heat in. Plumbing can freeze in cold weather. You should choose a "rig" with comfortable rear bed room with easy access on both sides. Sleeping in the overhead bunk is for kids without arthritis, etc. Ok for a few nights but not great long term. Not meaning to discourage but to alert you. Good idea to try it all out in a rental before you decide about the life style and what to buy.

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful advice, Bob!
There are several campgrounds nearby and that's
a great way to get my feet wet.
I am also going to an RV show in NS in 2 weeks and one in
NB in Feb. Renting to own makes sense.
I suppose buying from a dealer is more expensive but more reliable than a private sale.
Maria

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Maria:

I would suggest that after renting an RV, you spend your first night(s) at a campground near home if possible. This would give you time to practice the day to day operations of an RV (like learning how to dump), hookups, etc. before heading out on a long trip.

Some RV rental companies will offer a "rent to own" deal, such that your rental fees go towards the purchase. If new to RVing, I think you should decline this offer unless you really know the kind of RV you want and can afford.

The largest RV show in the US is claimed to be at Hershey PA in September. Even if you are not yet ready to purchase, it provides a great opportunity to compare and contrast various models. We went several times before buying.

After your maiden trip, if you feel the RV lifestyle is for you, do some research to develop the specs. you would like in an RV. If you are still considering full-timing at that point, the Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity of the RV is probably the most important factor to consider. What floor plan, what kind of roof, what kind of outer skin, how big should the holding tanks be, etc. Consider a RV show to help with this.

Best wishes,

Bob

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
we started full timing last may as we sold our home. had the RV as we'd been using for some camping and trips and wanted to visit the east coast and see some civil war battlegrounds, other sites of interest. we've come to yuma to over-winter and have to say we are loving it. quite comfortable, warm, lots to see and do. has opened a whole new world for us. looking forward to traveling this spring/summer and will probably wind up back here come the fall. gonna be hard to settle down again.
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, so many helpful responses!!
I appreciate the info and will check it out.
An RV would definitely be more comfortable than a tent!
I would be doing a max of 6mos in US and the rest in Can as am aware of rules.Or.....may end up just doing it part-time.There is a lot to research!
I wonder if anyone ever trades RVing with someone from Europe or elsewhere?
This looks like it could be a lot of fun!
Thanks,
Maria
ps I'll keep you posted

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
We started out renting a Class C to see if we enjoyed the lifestyle. We purchased in 2008. We do not full time and do most of our traveling from April to October. To get your feet wet, many campgrounds like KOA rent stationary TT ,park models and cabins. At least you can see if you like living in a campground. Renting a motor home will give you the practice of driving one and testing out all the features.
See you on the road!

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind we Canadians only have access to a warm climate up to a max of about 6 months a year depending on US INS/IRS rules and your provincal health care residency requirements.