cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any GPS that will do...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
On some on-line mapping programs such as MapQuest and Google, you can change the recommended route to the route you want to use by simply clicking onto the recommended route and dragging to the desired route. That capability would be a great addition to a GPS unit. I have a Garmin nive 2595 and have problems getting it to 'map' the route I want. I know there are ways to do what I want on my Garmin but (to me) it's a hassle. Would love to have the capability as mentioned above. Any thoughts? Thanks, Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
43 REPLIES 43

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I solved that by getting rid of Garmin and using a Dell 11z laptop as my GPS in the motorhome.

That may be the best solution. I keep wondering if I should stop beating my head against the wall of integrating a Garmin GPS with my laptop route-planning ability, and use just a small laptop (or more likely, a netbook) instead. Your setup is very nice.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I solved that by getting rid of Garmin and using a Dell 11z laptop as my GPS in the motorhome.

That is a good solution.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, Automatic, Quad Cab, Shortbed.
2006 34' Mountaineer 328RLS, 5th Wheel Trailer.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Kaz wrote:
I do wish that Garmin, which is so good at hardware, would produce a mapping program worthy of their hardware. Or build a unit that was fully integrated with Streets & Trips, or DeLorme, or something. I also wish I'd win the lottery, which is just about as likely it seems.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
I know from working with MapSource and BaseCamp that the only Garmin units that will receive routes are the ones that can store more than one route. If you can't create and store more than one route the only thing you unit will receive will be waypoints.

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We're still putzing around with BaseCamp - unsuccessfully and we do have one of those 'new and improved Garmins' with lifetime maps. First, we're unable to make a road route on BaseCamp but we transferred it anyway because we were driving the next day. So...while driving, the Garmin just took us from one waypoint to the next. We had to keep re-loading each waypoint. It would not do the continuous route. Very disappointed, so far, on BaseCamp and the 'new Garmins with lifetime maps' :). You can't use MapSource or Delorme Street Atlas with them. We'll keep working with BaseCamp and try a workaround with transferring our Delorme maps.

G-r-r-r-r-r. I was afraid of that. I know that MapSource won't work with many (all?) of the new Garmin units and will only transfer waypoints, and I was afraid that BaseCamp suffers from a similar shortcoming. What got me worried is the language in the dezl manual that says "The device supports these file types: Maps and GPX waypoint files from myGarmin™ mapping software, including MapSource®, BaseCamp™, and HomePort™." No mention of compatibility with route files, it looks like MapSource and BaseCamp are in the same category, and limited transfer of waypoints only is consistent with your experience.

DonPD seems to have good luck, though, so maybe there's a workaround.

I guess it's time for another call to Garmin tech support.
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We're still putzing around with BaseCamp - unsuccessfully and we do have one of those 'new and improved Garmins' with lifetime maps. First, we're unable to make a road route on BaseCamp but we transferred it anyway because we were driving the next day. So...while driving, the Garmin just took us from one waypoint to the next. We had to keep re-loading each waypoint. It would not do the continuous route. Very disappointed, so far, on BaseCamp and the 'new Garmins with lifetime maps' :). You can't use MapSource or Delorme Street Atlas with them. We'll keep working with BaseCamp and try a workaround with transferring our Delorme maps.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
DonPd wrote:
BaseCamp is like any software the more you use it the better it works and the hardware you use starts to fail.

How true, how true.

I've downloaded BaseCamp and started to plink around with it. I guess it's OK and if it will communicate with the newer GPSs (which MapSource seems unable to do), then I'll just have to get used to it. I do wish that Garmin, which is so good at hardware, would produce a mapping program worthy of their hardware. Or build a unit that was fully integrated with Streets & Trips, or DeLorme, or something. I also wish I'd win the lottery, which is just about as likely it seems.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
BaseCamp is like any software the more you use it the better it works and the hardware you use starts to fail.

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
If you connect your GPS to the computer at least you can create routes with the map you have on the GPS. That is if you don't have a very old unit. Garmin has some new units that have 7" screens and lifetime map updates. I was thinking of upgrading my GPS and found the best price on Amazon.com.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Don. I watched the videos but could still not create a route only a curved line between way points. I don't have free map updates with this GPS and have been reading the post about the Garmin's with the truck/RV options. But until I get a newer one I will try just hooking up my old Garmin and see if I can create a route

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Don, are you saying that you can't use the routing feature in base cap until you hook your gps first?

Yes, but let me explain. When BaseCamp is installed it only has access to the Global Map of the US. If you want a more detailed map you connect your GPS to your computer. The map from your GPS will become available. That map contains the details such as local streets, address and point of interest. Than you can create a route with needed details.

Now for a way around connecting your GPS. When you update your GPS map use Garmin Map Updater. Map Updater allows you to load a copy of the map to your computer. You have to select the option to load the map to your GPS and computer. Once it has been installed on your computer BaseCamp can use that map. That way no need to connect your GPS until it is time to transfer the routes you have created.

Link to Garmin Map Updated.

Garmin Map Updater

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
DonPd wrote:
BaseCamp only has a basic map of the US when loaded. To get a detailed map with roads and information you have to connect your Garmin Unit to your computer. Connect your Garmin unit to the computer start BaseCamp and you will see what is on your unit on the left side of the screen. Once all of the data from your unit has loaded. You need to select the map. At the top part of the screen you will see a box with the words Global Map. If you see that then the only map that will display is the basic map. Select the down arrow and select the map from your unit. Then you will have all the detail information needed to create routes.
Don, are you saying that you can't use the routing feature in base cap until you hook your gps first?

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
BaseCamp only has a basic map of the US when loaded. To get a detailed map with roads and information you have to connect your Garmin Unit to your computer. Connect your Garmin unit to the computer start BaseCamp and you will see what is on your unit on the left side of the screen. Once all of the data from your unit has loaded. You need to select the map. At the top part of the screen you will see a box with the words Global Map. If you see that then the only map that will display is the basic map. Select the down arrow and select the map from your unit. Then you will have all the detail information needed to create routes.

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first things to do in BaseCamp is to select the Activity Profile. From the drop down menu at the top of the page select Utilities -> Options -> Activity Profile. Than select the profile you want. You need to create WayPoints to create routes. To find a way point from the drop down menu select Find -> WayPoint. Once you have your WayPoints you are ready to create a route. To create a route from the drop down menu select Tools -> Route. A box will open and you drag the start and end eaypoint into the box. The route is created and a box opens that shows the waypoint used in the route. You can add or remove any wayponts you want in that box. Once you close the box your route will be displayed on the map. If you can't see roads zoom in until you see the roads. If you mouse over in the upper left of the map a zoom feature will open. Once you think you have a route you like you can view it in Google Earth. From the drop down menu select View -> Google Earth -> select what you want to view. Google Earth will open and you can select BaseCamp and anything under that selection.
Here are some training videos Videos