cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased a 2014 Thor Four Winds 22E

GreetingsFrom
Explorer
Explorer
First post on the forum here. My girlfriend and I just purchased a 2014 Thor Four Winds 22E. Looking to redo some of the interior as we're not huge fans of the way it looks. Besides installing a surge protector, is there anything else you can recommend we do before we head off in April? Currently, the RV is being stored at a dealership in Canton, OH.

Here's a link to our project where we'll be traveling the states painting vintage postcard inspired murals in different cities: http://greetingstour.com

We plan on living on the road for about a year but the main concerns are when we are in big cities.

Any beginner advice would be greatly appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2015 four winds 22e also. We like the light finish on the interior cabinets. To add color we got a yellow bed spread , some colorful throw pillows for the dining area, and seat covers and a floor mat for the driving area. Also some bright yellow towels for the bathroom.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
That is an exciting plan! Especially if you are going to be on the road a lot--think storage. There are several great ideas on rvnet and we have adopted many of them.

1. We use plastic drawer sets both in the closet and smaller sets in the overhead compartments and plastic containers with covers that stack in most of the cabinets. (Plastic storage is reasonable at Big Lots.) Toiletries, meds, first aid, some food items etc. all organize easier in boxes than loose on the shelves.
2. We use the overhead bed to sleep in but our 22E is actually 22 ft. and does not have the rear side bed. We also use the jackknife bed in the couch for guests and the dining area for both meals and lounging--with a couple of pillows it can be more comfortable for reading etc. than as a table and benches and we don't mind folding it up and down.
3. We put a self inflating double mattress on the couch (rolls up quite small and fits in the overhead) which makes it comfortable enough. A memory foam topper also adds comfort to our overhead bed. We don't store anything up there but our pillows and bedding and there is room for clothing duffel bags at the head and foot of the bed.
4. I have LOTS of lightweight camping equipment--such as folding chairs and tables, screen tent and a hammock and we can set up a complete kitchen and living area outside although if you are planning to spend more time in cities--you might not need these items.
5. We also use an aluminum rack on the trailer hitch in back with a large tool/storage box for our grill, local firewood, leveling ramps etc. and we used to carry a 5 gallon plastic water can there too. (We need a new one though and we don't boondock as much as we used to.)
6. I keep a stocked toolbox and camping equipment under the dinette benches and we also have storage under the couch for a small air compressor (haven't really needed that though) and the water hoses etc. We even have an extra lightweight aluminum folding ladder behind the back of the couch under the window. I also carry an 18 volt drill and bits, spot light, hand vac set in an overhead compartment.
7. Our closet is deeper and wider than the drawers so we have the screen tent, an outdoor mat, some folding chairs, the hammock etc. in the closet beside and behind the drawer set. There is still room for hanging clothes over the drawers.
8. I have an extra shower curtain rod in the middle of the shower (ours had grooves for one) and cover that with foam pipe insulation so the hangers stay on during travel if we need extra hanging space. Not hard to lift the jackets etc. out if we need the shower. Soiled clothes go into mesh bags that either hang on the bathroom door or go into a Rubbermaid storage tub in the shower. I have read you can wash your clothes by putting water and detergent into a tub like this and driving with the lid on it. I've yet to try that though!
9. We have stabilizing screw jacks in our rear outside compartment that we don't use much for short stays but are nice for longer term camping--keeps the rear end from rocking so much when we climb in and out of the RV. Could be used to change a tire if we were too far from civilization for Good Sam service.
10. We kept a little extra oil and automotive stuff in that compartment but ended up piercing a plastic oil bottle and got it all over the compartment--yuck--so be careful with such fluids--now I put them under the bathroom sink. Also have an outdoor mat out there.
11. There is room in our sewer hold for a small basket with a couple connectors, gloves, spray cleaner etc.
12. If you are changing the interior, sometimes there are "dead" spots of paneling that can be turned into storage space but yours looks so nice--I would not reupholster it until it wore out!
13. Lots of people use their ovens for pots and pans. But we actually have few and room for them in the cabinet over the sink. Under the kitchen sink we carry a 3 gallon water bottle with a hand pump for drinking water, cheaper than bottles and takes up less space. Also cleaning bucket and rags and bottles of soda or beer if we have too many for the fridge.
14. We have Lexan lightweight camping dishes and utensils and two drawers full of cooking accessories and lighters matches etc. We also have drawer dividers to keep everything in its place.
15. We have a narrow pantry that is convenient for canned foods and boxes of prepared foods, teas etc. We use a lot of zip lock type bags instead of storage containers for food and leftovers and have a supply in the pantry. We have a pop a bag holder for grocery bags that come in handy for trash--in fact we line a small file box that has a locking lid with a grocery bag for trash and empty it often. It "rides" next to the toilet in the bathroom but is usually in the kitchen when parked.

Fitting the stuff you appreciate on the road into the RV and not being overweight can be like a jigsaw puzzle and a fun challenge. We have not been away yet for trips over two or three weeks long but hope to leave for 4-6 weeks later this winter now that we are in our second year of retirement. I can't wait!

We have found our little RV to be just perfect. You will have a great time with yours.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

GreetingsFrom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the helpful advice!

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
You have what I call the "starter" RV. It is the smallest and least optioned of the Class C models. We also have one, which was purchased in August, 2010 and has since been driven 44,000 and has visited all 49 continental states.

It is easy to drive and at 24 feet, parkable in most lots but not parallel-parkable.

From our experience, the overhead bed and the convertible dinette are not really useful as sleeping areas. Concentrate on the overhead area as storage but be sure to put up straps to avoid having your stuff fly all over the place in case of sudden stope (and they will come.) Make the dinette area as comfortable as possible. Usually the cushions are too upright so prolonged seating is not advised. Also, you will probably find that using that area for passengers, except for very short trips, is not a good idea. Our has poorly placed seatbelts and the idea of a passenger slamming into the table edges and top is not a pleasing one. The dinette is a way to have simple meals with family or friends on the road; breakfast seems to be a good time for that.

If you do not have a Fantastic fan in the vent above the bed, get one at about $250. You open the window next to the bed and turn on the fan for ventilation on most nights. We rarely use AC except for an hour or so of cooldown at sundown.

Other stuff - put plastic vent covers over your roof vents in bath and over bed to provide ventilation during rainy periods. I think all your overhead lights are incandescent bulbs; convert to LED (see Amazon for cheap packs of 10 bulbs) to save 90% of the battery power. Get a roll of Eterna-Bond tape to repair small scrapes on the roof fabric due to low-hanging branches. Set up a tool box containing home-repair tools and materials just as in your home; you may not be able to do much on the mechanical part but the living area has to be maintained and upgraded primarily by you.

Stay tuned to RV.net. We want to know how you are faring in your project and you need to have us available to help you with problems as they occur.

Finally, get an extension so you can plug the 30 amp cord of the RV into a regular 15-amp socket. That way you can use all appliances in the RV except for the AC. I find that most times the AC will even work with the 15-amp power. Circuits do blow sometimes when the AC starts up so you need to be able to reset the circuit at the outside source if needed.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problem in the city with that 22 footer.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours