cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep coming back to American Tradition...actually -Heritage!

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
It's a biggie.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvd/3926145502.html

Seem to have a brain freeze and keep calling it a tradition when it is indeed a heritage.
And it's been on the lot awhile probably due to the Class B license requirement which the dealer promptly told us before we even opened the door. That's not too much of an issue as DH used to have it and can easily get it again. Now, my driving of the beast might be an issue, but I can learn.

It's just the quality of the rig is so amazing. And we have a white dog to match the interior:):)

The dealer could be an interesting experience as it's just a repo lot. Claims to have checked out all the systems onsite.

I know depreciation is an issue, but these particular coaches seem to hold their value pretty well. It's got 109k, but it is 13 years old so that doesn't seem like all that much.

opinions?
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
30 REPLIES 30

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I would be slightly concerned about the fact that all the appliances, entertainment systems and the like are getting up in age. I wouldn't be worried at all about the drive train. If the fridge, Televisions, audio systems, washer/dryer and assorted do dads need updating and replacing it will start to get expensive. But they are fine coaches, and the big ticket items should be fine for years to come with proper maintance and care.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Well, from personal experience, a diesel engine repair costs $5734. Broken valve dropped onto the top of a piston. Sure, a new engine replacement might cost $25K, but since most consider a diesel engine to be just broken in at 100K miles, I've never worried about it...much.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do own a diesel pusher but I'm no expert. I think the only thing that would concern me about buying a used one (and it concerns me about the one I have as it gets older) is things that break on a diesel pusher tend to be way more expensive than things on smaller gas motorhomes. I've heard stories of blown engines costing $25k to replace and a transmission being $12k or more. I have no idea if that's true or not as I haven't priced them out. All I do know is if my engine does blow and if it does cost $25k to replace, then my motorhome is going to become a really expensive guest cottage that sits next to the house for the rest of its life.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Altern wrote:
...While the American line isn't luxury class its certainly mid level as opposed to the vast majority that most folks here own and brag about...

I beg to differ. The Heritage is the top of the AC line. We went to a rally in May, they brought two Heritages for us to look at. Both were over $850k and one of them sold.

Check 'em out: www.americancoach.com
2014 American Eagle

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
It is very white.
But we think it might be worth a test drive.

On the other hand, we are mechanically challenged.. so buying a diesel pusher (any diesel pusher) is kinda of like stepping off into the unknown.

But the price of this one fits in the financial plan - provided there are no issues. It has new tires and batteries - that's a plus.
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
They are asking too much $$$ on Craigslist
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks nice but I would hate that all white interior. I don't ever recall seeing so much white in a motorhome.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
There are others out there:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2000-American-Heritage-By-Fleetwood-22354.htm
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of additional points:

-it is an American Heritage...not a Tradition

-American Coach is the luxury division of Fleetwood

-The Heritage was the flagship of American Coach in 2000

-Few were built, most production taken up by the NASCAR drivers who are big fans of American Eagles and Heritages

-You can count on the leather being genuine leather on an American Coach

-American Coach is considered a "Luxury Class" by most

-At that price, I do not see how you can go wrong.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it's in great shape. Not my color though so you won't have to worry about me out bidding you... 🙂

If you'll permit a little rant: I cannot understand why people like that faux leather stuff on the furniture. I've been in less then year old RVs where there were already wear patterns on the edge of the couch and on the drivers and passengers seats. Also have seen them worn down to the fabric backer on 2-3 year old rigs. Then, they're hot & clammy in the summer, and cold in the winter.

Give me fabric furniture coverings every time. Even if it's plastic, it sure breathes better then Leatherette. But that type is sure getting hard to find. I know why the manufacturers love the faux leather...IT'S CHEAP. They've been pushing that cheap stuff for what? 50 years? Or more?

Artificial leather is marketed under many brands, including "leatherette", "faux leather", "Naugahyde", and "pleather".

Although the posted ad calls the coverings 'Leather', wonder if it isn't really 'Leatherette'? Last time I was looking at new RVs the salesman was quick to rename what I called leather as 'Leatherette'. (I was testing his honesty).

End rant. Sorry folks, it's just frustrating when looking for another RV these days and not finding any with furniture coverings that aren't 'Leatherette'.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

J_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
The interior looks very luxurious. The key if I were buying it would be the condition of the chassis. If service records are not available I would have a mechanic check it out carefully. Look for any signs of leaks. Be ready for about 7-8 MPG. Of course check to see if the appliances work.
Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Few people have owned a higher valued MH and are pleasantly surprised by all the little things that make a difference.
While the American line isn't luxury class its certainly mid level as opposed to the vast majority that most folks here own and brag about.

clhamon
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Love the interior but with all the boon-docking we do it would be a full-time job just keeping it looking like that!
Frenchie & Kat
2005 Country Coach
2007 Harley Ultra Custom
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice... seems like a great price.

Since the requirement is for a non-commercial class B license, it's fairly easy to get. 40 to 45ft MH require Class B Non-commercial license with Motorhome endorsement. Written, skills tests and medical form plus $34.00.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
KampingKris wrote:
I know depreciation is an issue, but these particular coaches seem to hold their value pretty well. It's got 109k, but it is 13 years old so that doesn't seem like all that much.

Anyone who knows about Cummins diesels, knows that it is just nicely broken in. She should have many of hundreds of thousands of miles left on her.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”