cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kitchen window leak

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
The kitchen window in my RV leaks. I'm sure it is the window that is leaking because I covered it from the outside with plastic sheeting taped to the wall and there were no leaks when conditions (i.e., it was raining) were such that without the cover it would leak.

The window is small, only about 16 or so inches wide and perhaps 24 inches tall depending on whether you measure just the glass or the frame too. It's a slide-to-open window with the lower pane sliding upward to open. The problem seems to be that the drain in the bottom rubber seal doesn't drain fast enough during rain, water backs up on that track and spills over on the inside of the window.

Have you ever faced this problem and if so, how did you solve it? I tried a deflector attached to the glass that would direct rain streaming down the surface out past the bottom track. Didn't work.

I've made sure the drain is open and I suppose I could cut a couple of additional ones, but I wonder if the water is drawn up the rubber seal on the inside by capillary action of water in a narrow space. Then it runs down into the inside of my RV.

Ideas? Successes?
11 REPLIES 11

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
dan23 wrote:
No more leaking.

Excellent

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
In the end, I made the drain hole to the outside larger and cut out a one-inch piece of the seal material inside the aluminum frame at the bottom so water could get to the drain hole better. Previously, the drain hole was only about an inch wide on the inside because of the way it was made.

No more leaking.

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to put another drain toward each corner of the lower outside seal.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
JOHN @JOEY, well I,ve opened up a few over the yrs with much better flow and no problems. try it before you judge it.

Read what you wrote and what was said. You said to "do away with them" and also open them up. Opening them up is not the advice that is in question.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling RV window, scraping out old buty tape and reapply new isn't hard and something that is common as rig ages. Nice youtube video - worth search.
Kevin

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JOHN @JOEY, well I,ve opened up a few over the yrs with much better flow and no problems. try it before you judge it.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the weep holes are not plugged I would remove the window and install new sealing tape under the flange of the window on the outside. The old tape must be removed first.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
...even do away with them if you can.

That would be a huge mistake.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if at all possible make the holes bigger, even do away with them if you can.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the rubber seal out and clean the track and weep holes. Sometimes the debris gets trapped under the seal and re-plugs the weep holes. That was my experience.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Mine would do the same thing and it was always the weep holes being plugged. I know you said you checked them, but take a tiny screw driver and from the outside clean out the weep holes once again. Those windows are made/designed to drain and not puddle up like that.