cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikee steps humming

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
The steps on my 99 Dutch Start DP 3865 just quit working. They just hang loose and you can push them in and they fall back.

The motor was humming continually and I couldn't shut it off. I taped the motor with a hammer etc but nothing.
I tried the chassis disconnect and a fuse labeled steps (might have been the step lights). I finally cut a wire to the motor to shut it down.

Any ideas or do I have to replace the whole mechanism?

thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
14 REPLIES 14

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update, talked to PPL parts and they confirmed I need the conversion kit.
The rep said that there are (may) be parts out there but they have had a lot of returns because the parts didn't fit, so now they only sell the conversion kit.

Not too bad for cost, around $212 including shipping to Massena NY. Hope to pick it up next week as I'm camping in NY anyhow.

Chris
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
If it is the gear that is attached to the motor housing it is probably a power window motor from a Ford product. Mine is 3 steps and takes one from a town Car LF. Some take a Taurus motor with 2 steps. NAPA has a book with pictures and can match up the old ones for next day delivery if they don't have it in stock. Those steps are capable of removing fingers if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Be careful and count fingers before & after.

Thanks, but it wan't the motor gear, wish it was, would have been easier to find replacements. It the big one in the gear box.

Chris

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the gear that is attached to the motor housing it is probably a power window motor from a Ford product. Mine is 3 steps and takes one from a town Car LF. Some take a Taurus motor with 2 steps. NAPA has a book with pictures and can match up the old ones for next day delivery if they don't have it in stock. Those steps are capable of removing fingers if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Be careful and count fingers before & after.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the suggestions.
I managed to pull the entire assembly out. The link arm is fine.
Once I opened the gear box pieces of the gear started falling out. Seems to be in about 8 pieces.

Now to order replacement parts.

Chris

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
cvbdsl wrote:
I've had several people suggest replacing the unit (no replacement parts for the series 32 according to Kwickee) with a specific automotive part for electric windows. Does this type of part come with the gears or is it just the motor?

thanks

Chris

Have you verified that it is not just a broken linkage? That's all it was when I experienced the same symptoms that you describe. If you pull the steps all the way out it will be easy to locate the linkage.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
I've had several people suggest replacing the unit (no replacement parts for the series 32 according to Kwickee) with a specific automotive part for electric windows. Does this type of part come with the gears or is it just the motor?

thanks

Chris

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
If the motor is humming the motor is running but nothing is moving.
I agree broken linkage or gears.

Movin__on
Explorer
Explorer
Our steps did that. When they just dangle, there is an arm that is broken. It fastens to the steps and needs to be replaced. Just be careful, those steps go in and out pretty quick. The installation instructions came with the part. Not hard to do. You can have a dealer order it for you. You need the step number.
2000 Newmar Dutchstar 3365 V-10/Banks
2013 Chevy Captiva Sport

boba
Explorer
Explorer
before you buy anything, pull the fuse and let it cool overnight. i hit the steps while they opened and the motor overheated. unplugged let cool and it worked. my steps were closed so don't know if that makes a difference, but it doesn't cost a penny to try. my fuse was in the fuse box near the main chassis batteries.

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
hooligan wrote:
May be linkage or gears. (Not connected) When the steps move full in or full out, the controller reads the increased load on the motor and turns the motor off. If it hums the motor is still trying to move the steps.
Step troubleshooting is here. Kwikee step troubleshooting

Another source here: Tech info

If you need to replace the motor, search the forum I've seen posts where an auto elec. window motor is the same as the step motor and more economical. look here-
Replacement step motors

Thanks for the links and I'm hoping its the linkage as well, it seems they are around $50-$60 on ebay. Guess I've got some work to do (again).

Thanks

Chris

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
May be linkage or gears. (Not connected) When the steps move full in or full out, the controller reads the increased load on the motor and turns the motor off. If it hums the motor is still trying to move the steps.
Step troubleshooting is here. Kwikee step troubleshooting

Another source here: Tech info

If you need to replace the motor, search the forum I've seen posts where an auto elec. window motor is the same as the step motor and more economical. look here-
Replacement step motors
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations on where to get parts? I remember reading on here that it is drive system for electric windows?

Tks

Chris

camperkids1025
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the linkage when mine did that. Easy do it yourself job. Nothing is cheap on those steps.Jim
The Camperkids Jim & Lois
3 Grandkids Maria, Christian, Antony (part timers)
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire 37.5ft, Ford V-10, F-53 Chassis, Bilsteins Shocks W/ Bilstein Steering Stablizer, HWH Levelers

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it didn't know the words....LOL (it's an old joke)

Sounds like a broken gear or shaft. Motor is trying but can't move due to jammed parts so it hums. I bet if you are able to take the drive system apart you will find broken parts in the casing.