cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee steps inop.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Went out to the MH today to troubleshoot my chassis disconnect (won't disconnect) problem so I open the door and no steps. Checked the voltage at the switch, voltage is there, door open and light at the step is on, turn switch of and light goes off. With light on and close the door the light goes out like it should (steps should retract). Didn't have time to do the voltage check at the motor or controller. Wow those parts are pricey.
Anyone have troubles like this before.
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Steps take alot of power to operate - low battery and poor/corroded ground are the two most popular reason for step issues. Make sure your battery is fully charged (not that you just have 12 volts at step) and check the ground connections at the steps - they are often heavily corroded and problematic.
Kevin

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add to the steps are retracted, accessing everything is a little more trouble.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Try tapping the step motor with a block of wood - sometimes this will get it working again if its just dirty or a sticky brush. Keep hands and arms clear of moving step parts when you do this.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
Years ago ,it was the door switch!

Door switch is working as for as the light goes so I assume the steps should work.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago ,it was the door switch!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD