cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikee steps revisited

namvet
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched the forums and there are MANY threads related to problems with Kwikee electric steps but I haven’t seen a discussion related to why there are persistent failures of the steps. While researching the subject on YouTube, I came across a video by an individual who stated that the failures were due to rig owners covering the steps with carpet type tread covers. Has anyone ever heard of this? Does it sound plausible? I am on my second failure on my current rig in four years and experienced two failures on my previous rig. Both rigs have the same type of Kwikee steps and both have carpet covers over the tread. I would appreciate any input. I’m on the road now and won’t attempt a repair until I get home and replace the motor (again!). Thanks!
2014 Tiffin Allegro
2 Cor 1:8
"We Were Soldiers Once....and Young"
7 REPLIES 7

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Guy, Once is awhile the brushes in the step motor won't make contact as they get worn. One way to see if that's your problem is to take a hammer and give the motor at good shape tap. If the motor starts working again, it's time to order another motor. The step motors come from Ford power windows. They can be purchased for under $40 or you can pay over $150 by going back to Kwikee.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
StarkNaked wrote:
I have had two failures in the last 5 years. Both times it was the controller.

What year model and brand RV? Doug

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two failures in the last 5 years. Both times it was the controller.

namvet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the responses. You have confirmed my thoughts that carpeting the steps is not associated with the failure. I believe I am currently experiencing motor failure and that will be the first thing I check when I get home. Initially the steps failed while closing (partially closed) and refused to either extend or retract from that position. It’s possibly the drive gear is missing teeth causing a dead spot but I haven’t struck anything which would be a likely cause. Thanks again for the responses.
Guy
2014 Tiffin Allegro
2 Cor 1:8
"We Were Soldiers Once....and Young"

swn
Explorer
Explorer
Went 12 years with my Kwikee steps and just recently had to replace the gear box assembly and no issues with the motor. I have had carpet on them the entire time as the stairs do seem to rust. As others have said, keep them clean and lubed. For what it is worth I have leaned to do a lot of small repairs on the RV and replacing the gearbox assembly was one of the easiest.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Adding carpet will not cause a failure.
There is only 1 type failure on Kwikee steps built in the past 15 years. THE MOTOR. ALL other Failures are not at the step but the various wiring and door magnet type controls that malfunction causing the step to not work. To keep the step from failing(Motor) just
1. Keep the Step mechanism and pivot joints CLEAN and lubed. This means hosing off any mud or debris and then lubing it.
2. Since Kwikee is the largest step supplier in the industry, I have seen more motor failures, even under warranty. This is a defect in the motor armature and nothing can be done to prevent this. BUT, this will happen more often if the steps are not free and clean and lubed. I have not replaced a new type step controller in years. The linkage can break but this is usually caused by lack of maintenance or hitting something with step extended. Doug

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The steps are made to run until they (stall) hit something - either on the way out or when retracting. I see no problem with covering the steps with carpet - like mine have been for the past 5 years (with no problems).

What type of failure are you experiencing? Step motor failure or control board failure or door closed switch or wiring problems or...?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System