cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last Class C and Slide-out!

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This will be my last class C and slide out. After reading all the horror stories on here and elsewhere about the inevitable famous cabover leaks including my dads class C I will never buy another one.

After reading about all the long threads with slide-out problems including my own after being in the shop 3 times in 2 dealerships which is still not right I will never buy another one.

We all work hard to lay out serious money for substandard quality and no one to accept responsibility for it.

For the second largest investment we make it shouldn't have to be this way. I hope my next unit is a B+ with no slide so I can have more time enjoying the MH. Thanks for letting me vent!
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
9 REPLIES 9

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I suppose that this will be boring... haven't had a slide problem (knock on wood), and cabover doesn't leak. Of course, we made sure (after much research) to get a unit where the cabover is one piece molded fiberglass with no openings in it. And as others have said, many of the problems that folks have had could have been prevented by preventative maintenance.

If it makes any of you feel better (:)), we've had some other issues, but the two year warranty does bring some more piece of mind.

Now, if I can just find that darn propane leak....
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
My two centavos:

The people whose rigs don't leak, whose slide-outs work, and whose rigs are not giving headaches tend not to post.

What I see some people do is take a new "C" and get it "fixed" from the get to. For example, someone buys a decent "C". They replace fans with Fantastic Fans, add covers, replace the fresh water/gray water/black water vent tops with the venturi type that passively increase airflow, toss the antenna for a Jack type, then after the roof is upgraded, have Rhino Lining or another company prime and spray the roof, and areas around where lights are mounted with an epoxy elastomer, so there are no seams to leak. Plumbing that is often accessed loses the crimp clips and better fittings are stuck on. If the rig has a mouse hole for the electric cord, that is replaced by a marine receptacle or an additional cord is run through.

The chassis can get a boost too. A lot of Ford "C"s receive a lot of benefit from third party items like airbags.

So, all and all, I wouldn't write off RV-ing just yet. Murphy will pop up, but one can mitigate a lot of stuff, so when he does, it can be dealt with.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim Shoe wrote:
If its attached to a 'C' and its movable (slide out, awning, etc) it will stop working in the open position. Its the law.

Probably one of Murphy's.... here is another:

There are only two kinds of people with slide outs, those that have had a problem and those that will.

:B

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friend of mine has owned just about every Class A there is out there, there was one he had that towed a trailer that had a 2 bedroom and underneath storage/garage for a car. Recently he told me this. "Doesn't matter if i spend

100 grand or 750 grand they all have problems. BIL has a Monaco Dynasty. You would think there was the utmost in quality built into these at the price, think again. RV's require attention. My guess is that's why there are so many used

coaches, folks trade them in and continue with the payments. If you get a class A do stop in to this forum to keep us updated on your problem free adventures.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you buy, don't let it be a dodge, ford, chevy, mercedes, diesel, etc.... Because I've read a lot of stories about people having trouble with them...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I respectively disagree with your reference to:
After reading all the horror stories on here and elsewhere about the inevitable famous cabover leaks including my dads class C I will never buy another one.

None of what you speak of is limited to just the Class C. Read the other type of RV forums and you will read the same thing and find the same problems.

Leaks of any kind and on any RV is due to lack of due diligence in staying on top of maintenance. I.E. Inspecting and re sealing the roof, checking seals around windows 'regularly' and 'often' and re sealing them when needed, etc. Not to mention inspecting and cleaning out all the weep holes regularly, where IMHO most of the water comes in anyway.

IMHO, JMHO waiting until these seals go bad and then wondering why it's leaking in. Or not checking immediately after noticing a slight water intrusion and resealing it right away is owner operator not the type of RV. :W Just saying.

Best of luck on your next new RV.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If its attached to a 'C' and its movable (slide out, awning, etc) it will stop working in the open position. Its the law.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Posts about things that go wrong are very common. Posts about things working like they should don't usually happen - why would they? It's working just like it's supposed to be. So, for every post you read about something going wrong, there are that much more experiences of those things going right.

Also, there are plenty of discussions about leaks in other RVs - they just aren't happening in the cabover.

So, while a C is more likely to have a leak in the cabover (funny, it's the only RV, other than a TC, to have a cabover, so that makes sense), it's not necessarily more likely to leak than another RV. I had more problems with leaks in my TT than I do in my C - both were corrected easily by taking the time to properly seal the seams, etc.

Same with a slide. Of course RVs with a slide are more prone to have slide problems - they are the only RVs with slides. But are those problems really so common that having a slide isn't advisable? Probably not.

In the end, if another type of RV better fits your RVing-style, then sure, eliminate the risks of a cabover leak or slide problem by not having either. But if a C and/or a slide best suits your RVing-style, then the potential risks are most likely worth taking.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear that. Looks like you have been a member for quite some time also.

We have a so-called B+ and we like it very much. What you really need to watch is how that cab-over is constructed. Ours is all one piece and it overlaps the roof across the top and then the part that is wider than the cab has another one piece fiberglass slipped under the top and continues down the side to the running boards. That side piece also overlaps the fiberglass sides. The roof is rubber that some people fuss with and probably causes them to leak. Our roof wraps over and down the sides for about 4-6 inches. I can easily inspect the roof from the sides and I figure that as long as there are no rips in the rubber, all is sealed up. You can see a picture on my "view profile".
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene