cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving tomorrow for Fla

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our MH back yesterday with the towing system to tow our JKUR. I had 6 new Michelins put on at a local tire store immediately after we unhooked the Jeep. Got it home changed the oil in the MH, refilled the propane, fuel and am gonna change the oil in the genny this morning then fill up with fresh water. I noticed a stop light bulb was out last night on my way home from the propane refill so gonna replace that too. It's a 1200 mile trip from our place in NJ to our destination in Fla. How many miles do you all drive in a day? I figured if I can get 600 in tomorrow, 500 in Friday we should be good to go Saturday on our final leg. Is this too aggressive? Maybe 500, 500 and 200? Or even 400, 400 and finally 400? I'd like to finish up with 2 or 3 hours of driving. Anything else? Any suggestions? I figure I'm gonna take 95 down the whole way and leave about 0800-0900.

Thanks

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
33 REPLIES 33

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJL wrote:
Well. I will say 301 west through Gainesville was rough. crazy speed limits and tons of traffic lights. Glad that's done.

It appears that you made the mistake of getting off of US301 in Waldo and took 24 through Gainsville since US301 actually by-passes Gainsville on the East.
If you were trying to get over to I75, the best bet is to take US301 south to 326, which is just north of Ocala.

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
It took us a while but we discovered traveling in a motorhome is like life its the journey not the destination. Take your time and enjoy your trip!!

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Well. We drove nearly 600 miles today and stopped at a place off of exit 321 of 75 south. Its called lake panasoffkee koa. Nice enough place. I wanted to get further south today as there are severe storms heading for southern Georgia and northern Florida tomorrow. We have a bit over 3 hours left tomorrow. I will say 301 west through Gainesville was rough. crazy speed limits and tons of traffic lights. Glad that's done.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Pass42 wrote:
If you are taking 295 bypass around Jacksonville, stay at Flamingo Lake Campground... right off 295, easy off & on, clean, nice sites, nice people... we have stayed there 4 nights as transients......don't need to unhook, they have a snack bar/café, food is good.....

When we took that route to Florida, we considered Flamingo Lake, also. It is a nice place, but its really more of a 'destination' type of campground than a stopover. Its a bit pricey if you're just stopping for one night to rest.

We found a much better, and less expensive option was just a few miles north of that, just before you cross into Florida. Last exit in Georgia, exit #1, There is Country Oaks campground right off the interstate. Very simple, family owned campground located conveniently right off the interstate. Their rates are considerably less than Flamingo Lake (nearly half). Several nice pull-thru sites you can get where you won't even have to unhook (we didn't). There is also a KOA at the same exit, if thats what you like. There's a large truck stop/fuel station at the same exit, too, which is a good place to fill up on fuel before you hit the road the next morning (thats what we did).

My thoughts were/are, why pay more for all the nice amenities a place like Flamingo Lake or the KOA has, when you're not going to use any of those amenities, and just going to rest for one night? Seems like a waste of $$. We stayed at Country Oaks on the way to and from Florida, and will probably stay there again any time we take that route.

Now, if you plan to stay for a couple days in that area around Jacksonville, Flamingo Lake would be a good choice.

I absolutely agree with this suggestion ....1)2 truck stops and fuel is cheaper in Ga than Florida..2)it is a great campground that we stay in all the time...call ahead for a pull thru and 3) there is a neat little BBQ place at the entrance that is a short walk...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pass42 wrote:
If you are taking 295 bypass around Jacksonville, stay at Flamingo Lake Campground... right off 295, easy off & on, clean, nice sites, nice people... we have stayed there 4 nights as transients......don't need to unhook, they have a snack bar/café, food is good.....

When we took that route to Florida, we considered Flamingo Lake, also. It is a nice place, but its really more of a 'destination' type of campground than a stopover. Its a bit pricey if you're just stopping for one night to rest.

We found a much better, and less expensive option was just a few miles north of that, just before you cross into Florida. Last exit in Georgia, exit #1, There is Country Oaks campground right off the interstate. Very simple, family owned campground located conveniently right off the interstate. Their rates are considerably less than Flamingo Lake (nearly half). Several nice pull-thru sites you can get where you won't even have to unhook (we didn't). There is also a KOA at the same exit, if thats what you like. There's a large truck stop/fuel station at the same exit, too, which is a good place to fill up on fuel before you hit the road the next morning (thats what we did).

My thoughts were/are, why pay more for all the nice amenities a place like Flamingo Lake or the KOA has, when you're not going to use any of those amenities, and just going to rest for one night? Seems like a waste of $$. We stayed at Country Oaks on the way to and from Florida, and will probably stay there again any time we take that route.

Now, if you plan to stay for a couple days in that area around Jacksonville, Flamingo Lake would be a good choice.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I'll jump in here and say that last week I made the trip from central Florida to Charleston and back on i-95 and I did not find it to be bad at all. We made that trip three years ago and even my wife noticed that SC had obviously done some work and that 95 was in a lot better shape. Now I did find northbound was a little better than southbound in the right lane but still worlds better than before. I will take it over other stretches of 95, 10, 55, and 75.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Flamingo Lake...we have stayed there a few times..safe and secure..and right off of 295...safe travels...just get thru SC and the rest is easy...I lost a bike off my gasser and even the spare tire fell off there in 2007 when I had my gasser.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Flamingo lake. OK. Thanks.

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJL wrote:
Well made it almost 500 miles. We're set up in Selma NC at RVacations. Great spot. Didn't even have to unhook our towed. Hopefully north Fla tomorrow somewhere. Any suggestions there?

Depends on where in Florida you are going. There a few places to stay in South Georgia just before the border and the fuel will be cheaper.

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Well made it almost 500 miles. We're set up in Selma NC at RVacations. Great spot. Didn't even have to unhook our towed. Hopefully north Fla tomorrow somewhere. Any suggestions there?

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Herewego wrote:
Safe travels. Depends on what time of day you leave and what your personal preferences are. We leave eastern Long Island around 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM on a weekday and check traffic on Google Maps as we get into Delaware.

Then make a decision as to whether or not we're staying on 95 or taking 896, to 301 to I-95. That route takes you through Waldorf, Md where you will hit a stretch of traffic lights, is preferable if Baltimore and DC look like there's traffic or if a rush hour is approaching.

Usually stop somewhere in southern NC. RVacation campground in Selma is right off i_95 on the east side. Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids is nice also if looking for a campground.

Pecan Park on the north side of Jacksonville is easy on/off, reasonable with long, pullthru sites and 50 amp.

We arrive in Fla on day two, around dinner time after the one stop and either head to Tallahassee, spend a night or two in Jax visiting friends or arrive at Disney's Fort Wildernss around 8:30 PM that second day.

Safe travel and have fun!

Wow, pretty aggressive driving plan to get to Florida on Day 2....from Ct, we go 84 to 87 south to 287 to 78 to 81 then decide if we want 1....66 to rt 17 to 95 above Richmond then down to 10..staying at Rvacation or SOB and then at Country Oaks in KIngsland...or
2..81 to 77 to Columbia to 20 to rt 83 to 75 to Fla/Ga hwy ..rt 300 to Tally...staying at Shenandoah Valley and the at the Barnyard in Columbia..great rests there... and then into Tally
How many Seminole games do you guys do ?We have been doing almost all
GO NOLES...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Winnebago 36 ft on 22 inch wheels and the sticker from Winnebago says 90 pounds of air I think 120 pounds in the front will make for a very ruff ride. It is also a Ford V 10.

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
by car we go from upstate NY straight down I-95, no bypasses, stay right on I-95... by RV we go 287W to 78W to 81S to 64E to 17S, join I-95 @ Fredericksburg.... We find this route, although a little longer, more peaceful in the bus... We will usually spend a night @ the Pilot/Flying J in Winchester, VA...
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package