cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lemon law for class B

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone knows if the lemon law works for class B rv.
we have a Roadtrek class b Agile on a Mercedes 2500 chasis. it has been nothing but problems from day 1 with Roadtrek and now with Mercedes. today is the 5th time it has gone back to Mercedes for a check engine light that keeps coming on. I have called Roadtrek and also Mercedes and filed complaints with them both, but this is just frustrating that every other week the light goes on and i have to take it to a dealer to fix or at what they consider fix.
so, does anyone know if they or someone they know has gone through with a lemon law lawsuit? we are just at our wits end and don't know what to do and are tired of constantly going and getting service on this vehicle.

thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
The check engine light came on twice in our old PW Excel with a Ford V-8. The instances were several years apart. The light was yellow and Ford told me it was OK to drive the van. In both cases I am convinced I got a bad tank of gas. We were on Indian land in Utah/Arizona and bought gas there. As I understand it, the gasoline on Indian land does not have to comply with EPA rules. In both cases the light went out after I burned off that tank of gas. Your problem might be related to the gas (or diesel) you are using.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if they have problems in Europe where they don't have to be disassembled and reassembled to avoid tariffs.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer should be able to find the problem.As you probably know,Keep your records.

pickerel_cove
Explorer
Explorer
Did you do anything in September or October such as change the oil? Did you travel a lot to places where you were getting gas that you hadn't before? We've had cases where bad gas was the likely culprit as the light was intermittent. We've also replaced a sensor. An overfill on oil caused the light to go on once. Draining off excess oil fixed that.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Like I said, probably a loose wire.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

studio_driver
Explorer
Explorer
I will not comment on the Lemon Law as I have no experience in this area. However, I had 2 vehicles with intermittent problems. One was a Eurovan that sometimes refused to start (dead). It took a long time to trace the problem to a cracked fuse block that was replaced under warranty even if the vehicle was past its warranty period. The other was a Subaru Outback with the erratic "Check Engine" light. It was at the dealer so many times (up to twice a day!) The dealer really tried to fix the problem (replaced various sensors, redid some connections, etc.) without success until they had to bite the bullet and replace the complete wiring harness (an expensive job they were trying to avoid). No more problems after that. Again the repair was done under warranty even if it was past the limit date.

In both cases, I had kept records to demonstrate the same problem existed from the early days of the vehicle. My suggestion is to keep asking politely the dealer to fix the problem and keep records of all the facts. I might take a while to fix the problem and be cheaper that suing in the long run.

I hope for you they quickly find the gremlin so you can enjoy your B.

Alain
2007 PW Excel TS
2 adults

Explorer
Explorer
Going back about four years there was someone on this forum that was successful making a claim on his Class B under the Lemon Law in his state. You might try looking back in the archives to 2009/2010/2011. Every state has different rules under their Lemon Law and certain attempts have to be made to rectify the problems that have been unsuccessful to be able to go to the state and file under the Lemon Law. Start with the Consumer Affairs office in your state. It is often connected with the State Attorney General's office. They should be able to guide you - and you may want to involve an attorney with experience with the Lemon Law in your state.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I second the "try another MB dealer" idea. You can't ignore the light since it might void your warranty.

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you conversed with Jim Hammill himself?

I can't speak for the roadtrek part but the emissions systems issues you describe are common to sprinters.

one thing i would point out is that the year of your roadtrek is probably not the same as the year of your sprinter. i have seen posts from people who found out that the sprinter technician was using the wrong year for the diagnostics. sprinter(mb) seems to change them from one year to another and the diagnostic info changes if wrong year interpreted.

avanti
Explorer
Explorer
toymaker10 wrote:
It could be something as simple as a gas cap not sealing right. It's my understand is that a steady light is nothing to really worry about if it's a blinking light then its a problem.I had that problem with a 2010 Ford Fusion, I got tired of going back to the dealer and bought myself an actron auto scanner on Amazon reset and never had the light again

ANY diagnostic issue that a dealer can't fix in five visits is worth worrying about. If it were trivial, they would have fixed it. You are right to pursue the issue, IMO.

In many areas, a vehicle will not past its annual safety and/or emissions inspections with any CEL on.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I would think the lemon laws would apply to the vehicle part of any RV or motor home just like the unembellished truck would.

That being said. I have a 1992 GMC Vandura with engine lights that have been coming on since I bought it in 2011. The idiot light comes on usually when I am using cruise control (that stick also controls wipers and low/high beams). It sometimes go off in cruise, sometimes on when not. My mechanic and I have nearly twisted ourselves inside out trying to figure out the problem and have corrected some real problems. But now I have now given up and just watch the real gauges carefully and the van is prepped by him before each trip I take.

We have a 1992 Miata with a flashing engine light. The blink is diagnostic for the air bag. We ignore the blinks, just watch the gauges.

We have a 2000 Protege. The light came on, we spent a couple thou in chunks trying to get the light to stay off long enough so the car could pass the emissions test. It has now aged out of testing and we just leave the light on and ignore it.

My best guess is there is a loose wire somewhere.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Was there other problems with the coach part, or is it just the MB chassis?
Roadtrek is not responsible for the chassis unless they did something that caused the problem. I dont see how you would have any case against Rt.
Have you talked with you insurance agent, they might be able to give you some info.

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
It could be something as simple as a gas cap not sealing right. It's my understand is that a steady light is nothing to really worry about if it's a blinking light then its a problem.I had that problem with a 2010 Ford Fusion, I got tired of going back to the dealer and bought myself an actron auto scanner on Amazon reset and never had the light again

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like the MB dealer is giving you the run around. me I,d be making ph calls to MB . and asking looking for a better MB dealer. I got one here in canton ohio.