cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

levelers used when storing RV?

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
When not in use, is it best to park our Georgie Boy Pursuit using the levelers to keep the tires off the driveway or to simply allow it to sit on its tires? We use it approximately every other month. The tires are less than 1 year old if that matters. We have tire covers and often do not bother to use them. Would that be worthwhile as well? Thanks
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
21 REPLIES 21

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses. DH is reading through them now and I'm sure he'll do whatever he wants to do anyway!!!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I store with all 4 tires on the ground then I use my leveling jacks to take weight off the tires.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
A follow-up to my earlier post - another option is to use axle stands. Raise the MH with its levelers to a little higher than the height you want it to rest at. Put heavy-duty truck axle stands in the appropriate places, then raise the leveling jacks so that the RV weight is supported by them. Reverse the procedure to remove them.

Friends who are frequent sea-shore campers actually do this at seaside campgrounds.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I always have my jacks down in storage to keep weight off the tires! Makes for better and longer tire wear not having all that weight on the tires all the time.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
When not in use, is it best to park our Georgie Boy Pursuit using the levelers to keep the tires off the driveway or to simply allow it to sit on its tires? We use it approximately every other month. The tires are less than 1 year old if that matters. We have tire covers and often do not bother to use them. Would that be worthwhile as well? Thanks

Copied from my owners manual...

Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Use the jacks, that's what they are for.
2014 American Eagle

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I store with levelers down, mainly to reduce the inevitable flat spots on the tires that will happen. They work out after the first few miles of travel, but my personal preference is to take as much weight off the tires as possible when sitting for a long period of time. It probably won't hurt either way.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many people will lift their front tires off of the ground to get level but if you lift your rears off of the ground, the vehicle could shift and bend the jacks since you have lost the braking abilities of the tires.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:

All of these answers are confusing me....

I was under the understanding the you NEVER lift your tires off the ground, my manual says that blocks should be used and the stabilizer jacks were just to stabilize not to LIFT the unit. They were not designed to support the entire weight of the motorhome.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
MountainAir05 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I'm guessing that the people that full time don't retract their levelers very often.
I always store our coach with the levelers down. The cylinder that you see is not what rubs on the seal so a little dirt doesn't hurt anything.

I think you need to tear one apart and see how they work.

Or just read the manufacturers information where they say that the galvanized cylinder that I see with my RVA hydraulic leveler system does NOT rub against the hydraulic fluid seal. The manual says:
The dull finish and scratches have no effect on the sealing capability of the jack. The ram that extends out of the jack is 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than the sealing area in the jack, and the seal is only on the top section of the ram. The ram is cadmium plated to better resist corrosion, however it can become scratched but it will not affect operation.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same discussion a couple of days ago.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I'm guessing that the people that full time don't retract their levelers very often.
I always store our coach with the levelers down. The cylinder that you see is not what rubs on the seal so a little dirt doesn't hurt anything.

I think you need to tear one apart and see how they work.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Personal choice. Once in the winter with the jacks down was trying to prep for a trip and one was frozen to the ground and would not retract. But that's an extreme case. The only other thing is that if you store it with jacks down and you have any issue with the jacks or power to them, you are basically stuck. An issue with them up and you can still drive the RV. But that can happened camped as well as stored.
2013 ACE 29.2

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personal choice, each has pros and cons. My normal is up parked on concrete in the driveway but I've had them down at times.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53