cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling/AC Question

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
New owner of a Forest River Sunseeker Class C with a Dometic rooftop AC.
Former owners of a Class B with a window-type AC unit in the rear. When running that AC we needed to be level.

Have searched the Internet and cannot find the answer to this question: Does the Class C need to be level when just running the AC? We have been working in the new RV, organizing things. We have the automatic levelers and not sure if we need to level the rig just to run the AC.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
7 REPLIES 7

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Leveling for AC is not critical.

This is what I have read and been told in the past. Just your refrigerator.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
The old way is if you are comfortable and the beer can stays on the table you are fine for the AC and fridge.. However if you have a Class C with an overhead bunk you need to cover the front wheels if you notice the dew, rain, AC drip on the wheel. Over time it will wash the grease out of the front brake calipers. Not a big thing but saves you from having to pull them apart and regrease them so often.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leveling for AC is not critical. It could probably run OK upside down, but condensation drains into a pan, you want openings low enough that the pan doesn't overflow. Leveling for refrigerator os more critical and usually good enough for AC.

I actually level for my stovetop, so bacon grease and eggs don't run to one side, or over, the griddle. My rig, this puts the refrigerator well within safe range and AC draining onto the roof. If staying for a long time, in hot humid weather, I might mislevel slightly to control where the condensation runs off the roof, preferring to send it to streetside gutters rather than drpping on my head as I go out the door.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Class C club!!

If you haven't already joined, I would suggest that you look into the Forest River Users Forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that can help with just about any problem. Also, a couple of Forest River employees will log into the site and give us good information.

Forest River is an interesting company and part of the Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate. They have something like 23 manufacturing plants around the US making a variety of RV's - Class A, Class C, TT, 5th wheels, park models, shuttle vans, and even pontoon boats.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
It should be reasonably level. If you level your RV for proper refrigerator function and if you are comfortable the A/C will be fine. Off level doesnt affect its function....but if its a lot off kilter the condensate may not drain properly.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're comfortable, the A/C will also be comfortable and work fine. On a lot of the fifth wheels, the A/C is on the downward-sloping rear portion of the roof.

Your refrigerator is more critical, and owner's manual will tell you how far off level is OK.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB