cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling

Heatmcallister
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased Winnebago journey dl agent showed us a valve in outside front of coach that could release air so that the coach could be dropped lower for comfort and easier leveling on a slope. Can anyone confirm that this is ok to use. We don't want to release air and cause problems. We park in sloped driveway and are trying to get a better level. Much appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:

Now, I suppose there could be some sort of valve on the outside for some purpose of draining air etc. But, for leveling? Boy, that's a first for me.

Scott

I think the OP said that draining the air this way would make it "easier" to level....not that it was actually a part of leveling. Removing the air does make it easier....but it's not absolutely necessary. And yes, I do believe that all air suspension coaches have a valve (sometimes two) that will release the air from the suspension system.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
OP didn't give us much info on how steep the slope of the driveway is. I'd like to mention that if they are going to park nose high, that it's very dangerous to try to lift the rear tires off the pavement...if it is pavement. The parking brake is generally on the drive shaft and I wouldn't trust even heavy wood ramps to hold the rig if the slope is nice and smooth, graveled, or overly steep. Better to back in so the front could be raised. Even if that makes access more difficult.

Need more info from OP I guess.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Heatmcalister,
First off, "What agent"? A salesman? In most coaches, if not all, leveling is handled on the "inside" of the coach. I've been around these things for a while now and have never seen where someone has to go "outside" the coach to handle leveling practices. Now, different year, model and makes setup the leveling practice in slightly different procedures. It depends on:

1. Who made the leveling system? HWH & Power Gear are the primary makers
2. What does the owners manual say?
3. Is the system Automatic or, manual or, both?

Now, I suppose there could be some sort of valve on the outside for some purpose of draining air etc. But, for leveling? Boy, that's a first for me.

A suggestion if I may here. If you live with a sloped drive way or the parking place for your coach is less than level, then a way more stable way of making it level while at your home is to "drive" onto blocks (tapered preferably) to get the coach PRIMARILY level, and then, use the leveling system (jacks) to do the fine tuning and, stabilization. You and, the coach will be much happier that way.

If you use the jacks only and, your situation is that unleveled, it creates undo stress on the frame/body/windshield/doors etc. due to the torqueing of the frame while it's trying to "tweak" that coach into being level. By driving up on some nice, heavy duty, solid wooden blocks, you're assuring the stability and sure footedness right off the bat. Just a suggestion.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Moved from Forum Technical Support

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome. You need to be aware of which forum you are posting in. You have posted in forum technical support and this ne4eds to be in the MH forum. I have asked the moderator to move it for you.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
First, Welcome to the forum.
It would help to know the year of your Journey. A picture of the valve would be nice also. I don't think that my Journey has a "valve in outside front of coach" to release air.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is std practice. Most coaches have a switch on the dash (or driver's controls) that will do the same thing. just make sure you apply your parking brake first.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....