cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License Plate on Coach Front Required in Texas?

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
My coach never had license plates on the front when I purchased it and I have never mounted any. I have not seen many Texas coaches with plates on the front. Does anyone know the law on this ? I am using it Monday to take my Texas Class B test and it might be an issue if they are required on the front and I have none in place. I'm not sure how I will mount the plate if required...but, will figure that out. I cannot find the issue referenced in the manual I was provided by Texas. Thanks.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
28 REPLIES 28

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
$7 for a set of replacement plates. Walk in, hand over $7, walk out with new plates.
You guys have it easy in Texas. We have to report plate as missing or stolen, and have DMV order us a new one. OP should not have any problem under that deal. Just get there 45 minutes early and get the replacemnt plates and install them - then good to go!!!

What you don't seem to understand is he can't do that because the DMV doesn't handle registration/licensing of vehicles. That is done through the County Tax Assessors office and to get a replacement you usually need to go to the county buildings, not a nearby DMV office.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
$7 for a set of replacement plates. Walk in, hand over $7, walk out with new plates.
You guys have it easy in Texas. We have to report plate as missing or stolen, and have DMV order us a new one. OP should not have any problem under that deal. Just get there 45 minutes early and get the replacemnt plates and install them - then good to go!!!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
As long as your coach is in compliance with the law where it is registered you are legal in all other states. The same for driver's licenses.

We recently changed our registration from NY to TX and were required to take the written and driving tests for Class B non commercial driver's license. Part of the test was a walk around of lighting. The examiner did not put us through the air brake test as detailed in the handbook and the back up test was a straight line of about 50 feet on a road with no traffic.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Daboo
Explorer
Explorer
hurricane0226 wrote:
I am registered in Florida, and will be passing thru the end of May, am I required to have a front plate on my coach?

dont think so..other states honor other states regs...
Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hurricane0226 wrote:
I am registered in Florida, and will be passing thru the end of May, am I required to have a front plate on my coach?

The laws of the State you are registered in are what is required. Doug

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
hurricane0226 wrote:

Only if Florida requires them.

Barb

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

hurricane0226
Explorer
Explorer
FCC(SW) USN Retired
Florida.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
Check with TX DPS as there is a non-commercial Class B license requirement for those driving an RV over 26,001 lbs. rated. This is news to me. Our RV is 26,000 lbs rated. I plan on stopping into the DPS driver's license office this week for a clarification. Their web site is as clear as mud on this topic.

Nothing new. I've had one since 2006. If you are over 26,000# then you should have a Class B It has been discussed on this (and other sites) over and over and over again.

Barb

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

But you can't get those at the DMV. That is from the County Assessors Office - the two are completely separate offices.

Barb

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interesting discussion. License plate display
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Wisconsin and we purchased a motorhome in AZ....didn't have a front bracket. So kind a forgot about it until I was stopped the State Police in Wisconsin. He gave a warning ticket. Went to O Rielly's got a bracket for $8.00

Happy Camping, bye Dennis

Happy Mother's Day.
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
Good Sam Life Time Members
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
Check with TX DPS as there is a non-commercial Class B license requirement for those driving an RV over 26,001 lbs. rated. This is news to me. Our RV is 26,000 lbs rated. I plan on stopping into the DPS driver's license office this week for a clarification. Their web site is as clear as mud on this topic.

Take a look at the section titled Classified Driver Licenses starting on page 3 of this document Texas Drivers Handbook IMO Texas is one of the states that make their requirements very clear.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer