cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Life expectancy of a small C class.... Ex Rental

CaptJD
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I as two seniors who can't afford a nice B class without robbing a bank first and since we do not want to spend our golden years in a prison we gave up that dream and rather looking into C class RVs.

But also we would like a C class almost at the size of a B class. It is just 2 of us and a 7lb maltipoo will be traveling short distances and mostly weekender kind of 2-3 day long RVing adventures to chase our kids and grandkids in their own RV.

We came across ex-rental 2017 THOR MOTOR COACH MAJESTIC 19G built on Ford E350 chassis. I think they do have 5.4 V8 engine on them. Generally these units for sale do have over 100,000 miles. Mostly between 120,000-150,000 miles. They have very clean good looking interior which looks like nicely taken care of...
But our worry is mostly about the engine and transmission....

Do these type of RVs prone to engine/transmission problems? Does 150,000 miles mean that 5.4L V8 already waiting to die in the hands of its next owner within a few thousand miles or do they generally go much further in odometer without significant problems?

I understand we are not looking into an RV from it's first and original owner but how much damage could've been done to an engine in 3 years is my main question I guess...

Any ideas, experiences and advice appreciated...

Stay safe everyone,
41 REPLIES 41

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
TwistedGray wrote:
IDman wrote:
There is a reason rental companies sell units at that mileage level: wear and tear are about to catch up with them.

There's certainly a point where the engine/transmission of any vehicle (owned or rented) becomes an issue, but if you are suggesting to the OP that that point is at 130,000 miles, you're misleading them.

I agree. What wear and tear exactly does one speak of. How many of your friends or family or neighbors have had engines or transmissions replaced in their vehicles under 200K miles, uuuhhhh, not many if any is my guess. I can give you numerous examples of friends that have well over 300K on their vehicles, trucks, vans whatever and have only done routine maintenance.
Engines and transmissions are designed to take a beating, maintenance is the key.
So if these seniors decide to buy, how many miles a year will they drive the coach, 1000,2000? They say they are staying local. The issue of most concern is to maintain the unit. My 09 Cambria had an issue or 2 after each and every trip and I kept up on it. You have to otherwise it turns into a bigger problem. I keep a checklist when i travel and write down things that have gone wrong or need attention. Find a mobile rv mechanic in your area. Pay for an inspection before you purchase even if they offer a warranty and forget those expensive "extended warranties" they have more holes in them than a colander.

Businesses that deal with motor vehicles also deal with depreciation, it's a numbers game. There is no magical mileage number that dictates failures in drivetrains, that's just nonsense.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it looks like someone else,maybe Marcus,decided to market the same model Thor RV Like the Cruise America 19G and re brand it.

It is popular size and it looks like someone has exploited this market,I wouldn't put it past Marcus to do just that. Good Job.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CaptJD
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Wife won the RV war (as expected) and we bought a 2021 Thor Coleman 19CM... I guess Camping World liquidating their "new" rental inventory or something. Because Thor website doesn't even list this model and trim and so far nobody at the dealership even knew the specs or other details of the unit.
Wife is happy and that's all I care at the moment!

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
For those wondering about buying a former rental, in 2011 I bought a Cruise America 28R (see my signature). It had 109,000 miles on the odometer. I live in it full time in the Pacific Northwest (mostly west of I-5). It has been darn-near bullet proof. Other than chassis upgrades like sway bars, steering stabilizers, and trac bars - I recommend the following after buying a former rental:

1) check all hoses and belts for cracks - replace where needed.
2) replace all spring hose clamps with worm hose clamps (this may be a Ford thing. Ford's spring clamps get brittle over time)
3) replace every single fluid in the engine and drive train (coolant, brake, oil, transmission, differential), and in the generator. This includes filters for air, oil, fuel.
4) replace spark plugs and spark plug boots
5) have the rubber roof inspected. It may still be watertight but time and sun may have taken its toll on the roof. A new roof may be in the RV's future.

A Ford mechanic told me that coil packs do not need to be replaced en mass, but individually as they fail.

I can tell you that my 28R never received a 100,000 mile service interval. The differential fluid was sludge - necessitating a deep cleaning of the differential prior to getting new fluid.

At the time steps 1-3 cost me about $1,200 or so. Step 4, at a later date, cost me $250
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CaptJD wrote:
My choices at the moment are either $65,000 for a 2012 PleasureWay Excel w/60,000 miles
or, $35,000 for a REFURBISHED 2017 - 19G with 145,000 miles.
In the price and size you seek, you owe it to yourself to look into a used Phoenix Cruiser model 2100. Just adding one more option to consider. Maybe it's not for you, but maybe it's ideal. It's the same size as the others on your short list, but it is a FULLY FEATURED motor home including all capacities. If you get a 2007 model year or newer, you will also have two house batteries and whole-house inverter. Most have a single slide-out but there are a few without if that suits your fancy. They are much better constructed than a 19G. CLICK HERE to watch a narrated slide show on the construction of a Phoenix Cruiser. It dates back to 2007, but it's made the same to this day.

Google "Phoenix Cruiser 2100"

CaptJD
Explorer
Explorer
TwistedGray wrote:
CaptJD wrote:
Well gentlemen, "and ladies if any of you around reading this ultra-exciting topic ๐Ÿ˜‰ "
(Blah blah blah)

Lol, sounds like you'll be picking up a 19G soon.
(Blah, blah, blah)

Haha!

Soon picking up a 19G??? No way Jose...

I am still contemplating between a nicely used B class like the one we used to have in the past; a PleasureWay widebody Excel TD and this newly found little 19G...

We are leaning more towards the PleasureWay as we loved our 2003 model when we owned it but they are hard to come and almost cost the twice 19G.

My choices at the moment are either $65,000 for a 2012 PleasureWay Excel w/60,000 miles
or, $35,000 for a REFURBISHED 2017 - 19G with 145,000 miles.

So a quick decision is out of question! Search still continues...
Thanks for the heads up regards to their inventory and the Refurbishment procedure.
Appreciated!

TwistedGray
Explorer
Explorer
CaptJD wrote:
Well gentlemen, "and ladies if any of you around reading this ultra-exciting topic ๐Ÿ˜‰ "
(Blah blah blah)

Lol, sounds like you'll be picking up a 19G soon. They certainly have been rented this year; I know a few cross-country travelers (in a 19G).

Look into the ACTUAL inventory of those units at the nearby Cruise America facilities. You'll likely find there are none, and you will have to fly and drive back. You'll be reimbursed up to $300 in Uber/Lyft and flight cost.

Mesa has them in stock, Newark had one a month ago, and Vegas had none.

Otherwise you can "order" one and wait about three to four months for them to refurbish it.

Definitely DO NOT but a non refurbished one. Form over the +10% for peace of mind and to have them cover the issues that you WILL find.

Hopefully I'll have ours done this time next week from a paint/comfort perspective.

CaptJD
Explorer
Explorer

I generally agree that some renters could be abusive on equipment than the original owners but also there is an "other side" of the coin too.

Due to nature of my business I lived almost 4 years at a KOA right on the beach at CA where no long term RVers were accepted but me. So, KOA management allowed me to live there for a few years.

During that time I've come across hundreds and hundreds of RV renters in that KOA and around the area I lived in.

In my experience majority of the renters were mostly European middle age+, senior couples. To me they did not look like speed demons who would do 80-90mph on a 30ft C class or doing "donuts" in a parking lot ๐Ÿ˜‰

Most were being unfamiliar with the RV they rented were concerned not to damage it and ruin their vacation and actually extra careful when backing up to their assigned spaces or leaving it.. It took even the smallest RV driver 5-6 tries to back it up a 20-22ft motorhome to their nice leveled space with more than enough width for their tiny RV.

Also along the coastal route, curvy roads of Monterey, Big Sur, Mendocino area on the coastline or towards Yosemite, Sequoia area, you need a Bible in your hand to keep you not to swear like an old sailor (like myself) if you ever get stuck behind one of those RVs on a single lane part of the roads. They drive like a turtle, stop almost at every Vista point and take pictures etc.

Again I am no expert but as a commercially operated vessel owner I spare no expense in maintaining my equipment so I could keep it running as problem free as possible without interruptions, so I can make money.

I assume most of these companies do the same in up keeping their fleet running. If 1 out of every 3-4 RV is broken down not they only lose money in the short run but also they will end up with a reputation that " XXXX RV Rental company units suck! " which will ultimately end their business.

So, again, I agree there is certain disadvantages of buying an ex-rental RV. How much of a disadvantage one will face by purchasing a 2017 model 19G may be a draw-of-luck issue in the year of 2020. Especially if we consider due to Covid crisis most of these rental RVs sat in their parking lots during this summer. so they were on the road 2017,2018 and 2019. After February 2020 I don't think any of these were on the roads.

I hope I get lucky and come across one that wasn't been ridden 90-100mph on the roads of Death Valley in July with temps over 115F and used to do donuts at parking lots while driven by teenagers ๐Ÿ˜‰

I appreciate those who purchased these type RVs and share their personal experiences regarding which nationwide rental operation does with their units and the differences between their units and customer service etc.

I appreciate you all.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Not using tow haul is hard on the brakes, and it can affect performance a bit. Itโ€™s not really detrimental to the transmission however. The 5R and 6R110 adjust line pressures based on shift speed and slip anyways. So... itโ€™ll compensate for the weight being moved. Thatโ€™s why rental and fleet trucks can feel too snappy when you first hop in.

Also Intermotive used to make a module to make Tow-haul the default. At some point Ford made that a settings option. At least as far back as 2015. U-haul also has tow-haul set as default.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

TwistedGray
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Not once have I encountered a renter who had even heard of Tow Haul much less been provided with any of the many benefits of its use. Use it or don't your call.

Again, that's great news because they've left the vehicle in tow haul mode. It's not a matter of "use it or don't, your call" when every single renter of a Cruise America RV (according to you) has never heard of tow haul mode. By that response, no one has ever taken it out of tow haul mode WHICH IS A BENEFIT TO THE NEW OWNER of the RV.

This is a GOOD thing, wouldn't you agree?

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
No folks, when I speak to renters I'm not about showing them "how dumb they are", give me a break, sheesh. By your interpretation I guess anyone who shares information on this Forum is "trying to show folks how dumb they are?"

I enjoy meeting folks and sharing information. Local sites to see, places we have been, preferred routes etc. It has been done for me by others and I consider sharing good information as paying it forward. I also share my firewood especially with folks traveling with kids but I digress. Not once have I encountered a renter who had even heard of Tow Haul much less been provided with any of the many benefits of its use. Use it or don't your call.

I would not buy a former rental anything, car, RV, boat as I have witnessed too much abuse over the years. If it works for you have at it.

:R

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
I would not purchase a former rental unit, I have seen how the renters use and drive them. It's not theirs and they don't care. Going across Wyoming where the speed limit is 80mph the only RV that passes us is a rental. The ford chassis and drive train may be good, but that is pure abuse.

TwistedGray
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

When in fact by default they are always in the tow/haul when started and stay that way unless overridden by the renter.:S or by someone that ends up in the drivers seat trying to show them how dumb they are.

How does that even come up casually, in a conversation?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Capt has opined in many posts that RV renters were to ignorant to use the tow/haul thus overheating the transmission and damaging it.

When in fact by default they are always in the tow/haul when started and stay that way unless overridden by the renter.:S or by someone that ends up in the drivers seat trying to show them how dumb they are.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C