cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lifetime of chassis batteries?

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
Our '95 CC Intrigue diesel Class A was 11 years old when we bought it in 2006, so is now pushing 19. We have not replaced the chassis battery, and I don't know whether or not the original owner did. So the battery is either the same age as the coach, or is something more than 8 years old. So far, it hasn't even hiccuped -- the engine starts right off even on chilly mornings.

We'd rather replace it, though, than have be battery fail at an inconvenient moment (when is it EVER convenient to have a battery fail?). Is there anyone out there who knows the typical lifetimes of this type of battery?
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE
17 REPLIES 17

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2 road side breakdowns in the last year. It is no fun. I had a slight damage to the front of the MH from the tow truck. Lost 8 days on one of the breakdowns waiting to fix an engine problem. I believe in preventative maintenance so IMHO I would replace the batteries without question.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it would be much more convenient if the batteries failed at home versus when boon docking in the middle of no where.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHen is it EVER convenient to have a battery fail? Kind of like asking where is the best place to run out of gas (Story follows)

To answer the question: When it is the STARTING battery in a motor home with fully charged house batteries and a dash mounted momentary switch which may be labeled Emer(gency) start or BOOST. Why, Well simply put what is a big honking load for my Group 78 starting battery (I think 73 amp hours at the c/20 rate) is kind of snooze time for my 230 amp DEEP CYCLE batteries.

The short story: Ran out once 3 feet from the fuel pump. flat ground, stick shift car I could push with one hand.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
liborko wrote:
My 2002 motorhome on Ford F53 still has original Motorcraft starting battery the motorhome came with. I am not replacing it until totally dead.I can always start the motorhome with house batteries.

I can tell you on my DP once the chassis batteries were shot, the house batteries would not start the motorhome. I could get them to start the generator, but even with the generator running the engine wouldn't turn over. Gas rigs are probably different.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

3sacrwd
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my RV for over 9 years, and my starting batteries are 2 Texaco brand batteries I park it in October and dont start again until April. Starts up first time everytime. I am shocked that they still work everytime I need them. I wont replace them until they die.
1997 Forest River Reflection 38' DP

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are the 31's AGM? They are suppose to last 3 times as long. I would get them tested at Walmart or a auto parts store. If good I would keep them you always have the emergency start if they fail as someone else posted. When this happens then I would replace them.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you from experience that when they do go bad they go bad right now. One day I was fine and the RV started without a problem and the next day the batteries were shot. We were headed to Vegas and had spent the night at the State line. My toad is a pickup so I had to make about a 60 mile round trip drive on into Vegas to get replacements. It wasn't that big of an issue to replace them. I'm just glad they didn't go out further from civilization. I think my RV was about 8 years old when they went out.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned my class C for fourteen years.
The starting battery was in there when I got it.

I put the unit in storage Oct 1
Start it again late April.
It has never failed to turn over and promptly start.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my Chassis battery after 4 years and 2 months. I had a Interstate Gel Cell installed as a replacement and, I'm hoping to get 5 to 6 years of life out of it! I've never been able to get more than 4-1/2 years out of my chassis batteries and I have been RVing since 1976!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you bought it at 11, odds are it was replaced before you bought it

and Odds are its getting close once again.

10 years give or take is about the limit.

That said: I would not replace before they tell you to replace them.. I would however, make sure that I understood how to use the emergency start or battery boost system installed in the RV and/or carry a very heavy duty booster pack.

(I do carry a light weight one).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks Fellas,

Like Ivylog's, ours are Interstate 31s (a pair of them), and it sounds like it's a good time to have them checked.
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the lifetime is about the same as your car battery.
Been my experience.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE