cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of questions to ask

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone compiled a list of critical questions to ask when buying a used motorhome. Maybe a checklist to take with you when you go shopping. I know the basics about tires, engine, etc. but I am concerned that there are probably questions I should also ask that I am not even aware of. Any help would be appreciated
11 REPLIES 11

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Umm, Hopefully you understand that these are questions you need to ask yourself. Don't bother asking the person selling the unit as you will not likely get an unbiased opinion. Not that all sellers are particularly dishonest, but their opinions may not tell you what you really need to know.
IRV2

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
Send me a PM with your direct email address and I'll send a very comprehensive list to you - it is too large for an RV.net message!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would also have a mechanic check the coach out before you purchase it.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Changing Gears has an excellent RV buyer's checklist, downloadable and even modifiable to suit your needs.
Here's the link .
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to transaction do a walk through and check to see everything works. Batteries holding charge? water leaks? Better yet have the unit checked out by a qualified RV tech of your choosing. Money well spent. I have learned sellers are not motivated to fix problems once money has changed hands. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Bob_AnnaMarie
Explorer
Explorer
Sondi,

If you are new to world of motorhomes, follow newman fulltimer's advice. I did all the research to know what to look for and questions to ask. But I have to tell you seriously, now that I own a coach and have put a few miles on it and know what was right and what was wrong I did a miserable job of doing my own inspection. You really need a certified rv inspector to do the job right.

I was lucky. My coach has had a few minor and not-so-minor issues. But, this is not because I did a terrific job of doing a thorough inspection. As a newbie to motorhomes, there was just no way I was prepared to really ask key questions and know what I was getting.

This is not a trivial expense. The RV inspector is cheap by comparison.

Bob
03 Beaver Patriot
14 Honda CRV

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
get a certified rv inspector to do a report

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Ask why are they selling it...most people will be honest and if there are problems the answer will include a list of problems and or reasons.

If you like the MH ask if you can spend at least a half day in it to try everything out. If the seller allows, then do the things you would normally do...watch TV, fix lunch, try the toilet/shower for comfort (not use).
Heater, A/C, water pump, levelers...etc. do they all work ?

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
ask if it has ever been in an accident. we found one that had a crack in the motor mount.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ask about maintenance records to insure that the rig has been serviced according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If the owner does not have any, or says that he does his own maintenance, then all you have to do is decide if you are going to trust a perfect stranger, who is trying to unload his coach, that he is telling you the truth.
Ask about owner's manuals on ALL of the coach systems(AC, WH, stove, furnace, etc), as well as the factory manuals that are sent with all coaches.
Ask about any damage that was done to the coach.
Check the age of the electronics to see if they have been updated to the current TV's, instead of the older analog units.
Ask if there has been a electrical wiring changes or additions.
Ask when the roof was last serviced.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked in the RVing FAQ and didn't find much...but maybe there is something there.

Used MH.. what to look for 7/03
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman