cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live and Learn -- Didn't Get my MH

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
Welp, I suppose in the end what happened was no coincidence and maybe I wasn't supposed to get it. I was pretty convinced this was the rig for me, a 1983 Honey with a Ford 351, new tires, and a bunch of other stuff. But the more I asked questions, the last one being, would the owner mind if I took it to a mechanic to have it checked out, and he said NO, the more red flags slapped me in the face.

Needless to say cuz by this time (after a week of questions and a few minor fixes such as the gas guage and seatbelt), he just couldn't wait any longer and after all, he was a mechanic too. So I said no deal then. I didn't care of he was Head Mechanic of Chevy, I wanted an INDEPENDENT look-see. Because I'm a mechanical midget and this was to be my first RV.

So I'm feeling a bit sad but somehow wiser, that this didn't go through. Still Looking for my Ms Right Rig...
24 REPLIES 24

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
"As Is" requires more due diligence than a warranty, thus should be no limit on questions, nor on inspections to verify or find answers. But inspection is at your cost, thus your choice how much you want to spend vs value of the deal. We would send a dozen lawyers, accountants, and technical experts halfway around the world to evaluate a two-billion dollar property and the financial situation behind it, but not for a $3500 deal.

Not allowing inspection means there is something the seller doesn't want you to know, it is wise to walk away, however small the deal.

On the purchase of a motorized RV, the person you find to inspect the truck part may not be qualified to evaluated the RV part, but sometimes you get lucky and find a RV guy who can do both reasonably well.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, you did the right thing by walking. Kind of like having the cook critique his own cooking. Chef Ramsey would tear him to shreds!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Per "no insurance on the RV"-

Dunno about yours, but my regular car liability insurance covers me in situations like this, where it's a temporary or test drive of a vehicle owned by someone else.

Per all else:
There is NO question unreasonable to ask when buying something..."as is" only means that you're taking it as you find it- so the more questions you ask, the more you know what you've "found"!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
Wooow... I'm so grateful then too that I didn't. But can I ask a question though:

If there is no insurance on the RV, how DO I get it to a mechanic, by insuring it first? Would a regular mechanic KNOW to inspect those pipes as mentioned already as a matter of course? What OTHER things underneath need to be considered when purchasing an older MH such as rust, or a bent universal, or, or ? Thanks.

LASTLY,if someone is selling the MH "as is", then at what point do the questions become over and above or expecting too much?

And then would it be "normal" to inquire about those things underneath as standard as asking how old the tires are? It's hard for me to ACT like I know things when I really don't, and if they wanted to get cute and start throwing ME questions well just imagine how THAT would look hahah -- not pretty..

I thank you, I really do. I feel so incompetent and want to go to Motor Home School!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No, the pipe itself eventually develops "blisters" and will begin to leak. DAMHIK

ScottG wrote:
Ah yes, the infamous "Qest" tubing. FWIW, the tubing itself is fine, it's just the aluminum crimp clamps they used in some applications that were no good. Those can all be replaced with either copper clamps or plastic fittings but it would be a job.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

F105
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Very good move.

X2 - you did the right thing - there's plenty more RV's for sale out there.

Always insist on an independent second opinion look and don't underestimate your own abilities - sometimes things just don't feel right.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Newbienac wrote:

So I'm feeling a bit sad but somehow wiser, that this didn't go through. Still Looking for my Ms Right Rig...

Good for you for knowing your own limitations and sticking to your guns- you'll find the right rig yet!

And on the bright side:

You'll feel a lot better when the guy that DOES buy this rig without checking it out signs up here to tell us his tale of woe...:B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Thank your lucky stars that he said "no" to an inspection and that you walked away. 1983 is too old. Chassis parts are not available.

The plastic pipe that was used at that time can no longer be sold as it is defective. The entire RV would have had to be replumbed at some time. Since they do that first at the factory--it would require a huge effort to fix this.

Ah yes, the infamous "Qest" tubing. FWIW, the tubing itself is fine, it's just the aluminum crimp clamps they used in some applications that were no good. Those can all be replaced with either copper clamps or plastic fittings but it would be a job.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Thank your lucky stars that he said "no" to an inspection and that you walked away. 1983 is too old. Chassis parts are not available.

The plastic pipe that was used at that time can no longer be sold as it is defective. The entire RV would have had to be replumbed at some time. Since they do that first at the factory--it would require a huge effort to fix this.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Very good move.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006