Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of leveling jack reservoir on a 2005 Itasca Horizon

dvleemin
Explorer
Explorer
OK,
I think my HWH leveling jack reservoir is likely a bit low. However, I cannot for the life of my find the reservoir. I've tried looking everywhere. I can't believe I can't find it so I'm hoping someone with the same or similiar model can help me out.

It's a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD with a Frieghtliner chassis and HWH jacks.

Thanks,

Darryl
17 REPLIES 17

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
emiddleb wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
cbeierl wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Now, if you feel that, that reservoir is low, make sure all the Jacks are completely up and, all the slides are completely retracted. Then, and only then, you can remove the reservoir cap and check the fluid level. Hope this helps.
Scott

Note that there is a least one type of HWH slide mechanism that requires the slide to be out when checking fluid levels. On my 36RD the bedroom passenger-side slide needs to out and all of the others in.

Well Chris,
As usual, learn something every day. Now, what was it that learned from yesterday, and the day before that and.....
Scott

Always learning...

Same on my 40KD. Two slides in, jacks up, one slide out to test level. The info is buried in the HWH owners manual, not clearly marked. Need to look about half-way back through the manual where it shows the diagrams. In my manual its around pg 15, "Hydraulic Line Connections Multi-Room Extensions." Two marked "Retract Room to check oil level" and one marked "Extend room to check oil level." Clear as mud... info buried and of course has no way of telling which slide is connected to which connection on system.

Just about the time I "THINK" I can answer someone accurately and, have the CORRECT (SEAMINGLY) knowledge, and or experience about the subject at hand, I get slapped down 'cause of my not really researching ALL the facts before I open my big mouth or, engage brain to fingers here. Maybe someday I'll get it right.
Scott

oh 'pshaw' as they say... If you're not learning, you're just sitting there waiting for time to run out.

I keep all my RV stuff a folder on my PC. Have one marked "Manuals" with all sorts of PDFs from vendors. Have another marked "Misc Maint Notes" with stuff I've gleaned from all these forums. Guess which is larger... yup, the second. Kludges, tricks-n-tips, hidden panels of fuses, secret diagnostic tricks, replacements for obsolete parts, I get something new almost every day. And glad of it...
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
thats why its important to read the whole manual.
the operators manual tells you how to operate the system. if you really want to know about the system and how it works, there is no substitute for a service manual. i know i harp on that a lot, but it gives you information that is just not in the operators manual.
in the service manual, it explains how to identify what goes where. the harnesses are marked at each connection. in the event you cant find what you need, please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638. i can help.
im the first one to admit that i dont know all the answers, but i know who to ask, and i have their phone number. paul maddox

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
emiddleb wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
cbeierl wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Now, if you feel that, that reservoir is low, make sure all the Jacks are completely up and, all the slides are completely retracted. Then, and only then, you can remove the reservoir cap and check the fluid level. Hope this helps.
Scott

Note that there is a least one type of HWH slide mechanism that requires the slide to be out when checking fluid levels. On my 36RD the bedroom passenger-side slide needs to out and all of the others in.

Well Chris,
As usual, learn something every day. Now, what was it that learned from yesterday, and the day before that and.....
Scott

Always learning...

Same on my 40KD. Two slides in, jacks up, one slide out to test level. The info is buried in the HWH owners manual, not clearly marked. Need to look about half-way back through the manual where it shows the diagrams. In my manual its around pg 15, "Hydraulic Line Connections Multi-Room Extensions." Two marked "Retract Room to check oil level" and one marked "Extend room to check oil level." Clear as mud... info buried and of course has no way of telling which slide is connected to which connection on system.

Just about the time I "THINK" I can answer someone accurately and, have the CORRECT (SEAMINGLY) knowledge, and or experience about the subject at hand, I get slapped down 'cause of my not really researching ALL the facts before I open my big mouth or, engage brain to fingers here. Maybe someday I'll get it right.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
cbeierl wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Scott

Well Chris,
Scott

Always learning...

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
cbeierl wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Scott

Well Chris,
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

FLman2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2008 Latitude, and after checking the reservoir , found the fluid level was on the low mark. Wiped the dip stick and checked again was still at the low mark added a quart which brought it about half way. couldn't find any leaks. I doubt it had been checked since it was new.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
To the OP, WHY do you think your HWH reservoir is low?? UNLESS you have a leak(that would be visible), there should be no reason the reservoir would be low. The HWH tank holds 5 to 7 qts depending on the system and at any time only about 2 to 3 qts is used when all hydraulic functions are used, leaving 2 to 3 qts left. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rr2254545 wrote:
From your operator manual on line

With the service panel open, you can access
the following service points:
• Engine Oil Dipstick
• Engine Oil Fill
• Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir
• Engine Coolant Tank
• Transmission Dipstick/Fill Tube
• Air Filter Restriction Indicator
• Engine Diagnostic Connector

The Hyd reservoir mentioned here is NOT the HWH tank, but the Diesel chassis tank. Doug

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Scott

Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

dvleemin
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
dvleemin wrote:
Ok - so you're talking about the step inside the rv - not the kwikee step?

Both,
Our coach, an older sister of yours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has the reservoir, pump and control panel systems, all under the entry steps, just behind the Kwikee steps. IF you lay down, in front of the coach, and look up, just behind the right front corner of the coach, you'll see the clear plexiglass cover over the control center. Behind that, which is behind the Kwikee steps, is the reservoir, manifold, solenoids and pump.

And yes, just under the lip of each of the entry steps, is a bolt or, screw. Run your fingers along the bottom lip of each of those steps and, close to the center will be the bolt. Remove that bolt and, you'll expose all of what I described, only from the top view.

Scott

Thanks.

That seems to make sense - will check tomorrow.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dvleemin wrote:

Both,
Our coach, an older sister of yours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has the reservoir, pump and control panel systems, all under the entry steps, just behind the Kwikee steps. IF you lay down, in front of the coach, and look up, just behind the right front corner of the coach, you'll see the clear plexiglass cover over the control center. Behind that, which is behind the Kwikee steps, is the reservoir, manifold, solenoids and pump.

And yes, just under the lip of each of the entry steps, is a bolt or, screw. Run your fingers along the bottom lip of each of those steps and, close to the center will be the bolt. Remove that bolt, lift the step cover and, you'll expose all of what I described, only from the top view.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

dvleemin
Explorer
Explorer

B_B
Explorer
Explorer
It is under the second step or third step, go outside the coach and feel under your entrance steps, you will feel a nut, remove nut, and lift step. The pump, reservoir and valves are there.

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem, an I'm traveling solo. Tried to get my dogs to help but the training time was too long. I had to call an on-site RV repair. He was able to find it under the bedroom slide-out. I have a 99 Winnebago Chieftain. It wasn't easy to lift the Fluid up and in a position to pour.