cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locked out - 1997 Safari Sahara

WNJeffers
Explorer
Explorer
We had excess guests over the weekend and early this week, so I had my daughter and son-in-law sleep in the coach, which is parked out back with full hookups.

I just went out to get sheets and towels to wash and I find I cannot open the door. The deadbolt is not a problem, but the other lock will not open. We have never used this to lock the door, from inside or out, always the deadbolt only. As Iโ€™ve never used this lock, I have no idea which key should open it if locked. The key for the basement compartments will go in the lock, but will not work. The key for the service bay doors will not go in the lock. Iโ€™m not aware that I have another key; if I do, it is locked inside with the spare keys. I do have an extra deadbolt key available, but that is not the problem.

I assume that they used this problem lock to lock the door at night, and maybe got it unlocked only barely enough to open the door, but when the door shut again it fell into the locked position.

Can anyone tell me if the key for the basement compartments should open this door? Or the ubiquitous CH751 key use in the entry locks in travel trailers and fifth-wheels?

Should a locksmith be able to open this without totally destroying the lock? Can anyone tell me the brand of lock used, so I can research it myself?

Anyone faced a similar problem?

Any thoughts on how I may gain entry, either by defeating the lock to open the door, or otherwise gain entry while doing the minimum of damage to be repaired later?

Thanks!

Wayne
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Wayne
Hillsboro, WV
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
18 REPLIES 18

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
Short story we have a TT with two doors. One day while we we miles from nowhere the dead bolt on one of the doors broke with the door closed. We do not have windows in the doors, so a call to the nearest RV dealer was in order. I do not remember just where in SD they are located but it is a family affair. The son took a look from the inside of the TT and found he could get a hold of the broken part and release the dead bolt(it took a great deal of effort). The price of a new lock and a minimal amount of the techs time was well spent.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
On my '94, the spring broke on that lock (not the deadbolt) while I was inside. I lashed it in place with a zip tie. Eventually found a replacement spring for it and replaced the broken one, but I never saw the purpose for two locks, so I only used the deadbolt and left the zip tie in place.

My newer '02 Winnie has the same setup and I'll do the same thing...especially since the dealer didn't give me a key for that lock anyway.

So my advice is to zip tie it so it won't ever be a problem.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Lock Problem

Take a look
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Most people don't realize it but on framed windows, the glass is easily removed by first removing the rubber seal around the glass. Had to go through one of my windows once to rescue my 2 year old grandson after he locked the dead bolt with the keys inside the coach. Only took about 5 minutes to reset the glass. That was on a 98' Newmar
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

MrWizard
huumm
totally different than my setup
my entry lock and storage bay keys
have different slots in they keys and do not interchange
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WNJeffers
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

I got a message off-line from another 1997 Safari Sahara owner. Among the things I learned from his message: He has 2 different keys with the square head. One key opens both the storage bays and the entry lock on the door. The second one opens only the entry lock on the door. The second one is for leaving with the shop while getting service. Sort of like the car key that opens the door and works the ignition, but not the glove box or the trunk, which is intended for use by parking attendants.

I went out and checked my spare keys, and I find that I also have a second square key that works only in the door entry lock, but not the bays.

Wayne
Wayne
Hillsboro, WV
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

wayneandylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2008 Winny garage/gas tank/engine compartment key also opens the door.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer Limited
Workhorse with Chevy 8.1 rear engine
DW aka Sarge
Pet-free zone
Voy electric scooter "Scoot"

MrWizard
My 95 safari uses different keys for the storage compartments and the entry for lock and the battery and engine compartments
That's three different keys besides the dead bolt and ignition

As you said, don't put it all the way in, which means it's NOT the right key even though you got it to work
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
Now I am seeing something called a bump key that unlocks everything if you know how to use it. Might be something to utube for the future.

The theory behind the bump key is what I suggested. The key must be grooved correctly to actually go into the lock, and after that jigging the key or tapping it lightly with a hammer will move the tumblers around and eventually they will line up. If you have unlocking pressure on the key when the tumblers align, the key will turn.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We had exactly the same thing happen to us. We did have a key, but it was INSIDE the MoHO. Why I will never know, that's just where my husband chose to store it. We tried every key we could find and nothing worked, so we called a locksmith. he had it open in no time. Now I am seeing something called a bump key that unlocks everything if you know how to use it. Might be something to utube for the future.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If you never plan on using that lock, then a piece of tape over the bolt would take the worry out of it being used again.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

WNJeffers
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Wizard - The key that works for the basement storage compartments also locks and unlocks this entry lock. Not that I ever intend to use it for that.

I will make sure future guests that I allow to stay in the coach know to use only the deadbolt. And, of course, I now know that to use the key it must not be quite all the way into the lock cylinder.

Wayne
Wayne
Hillsboro, WV
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar issue with my '95 Thor Residency. I left the keys inside the RV at a rest area and just closed the door. When we returned we found ourselves locked out. Since we had NO keys, getting something (anything!) to work was not an option and, yes, all the windows were closed and locked. We called a locksmith and I explained that the key turned to the right to unlock. He ignored that information and could not get the door opened. He finally called his Dad who came out about 30 minutes later and opened the door in about 30 seconds (turning the lock to the right). It's lucky that you got your lock open and I suggest that you carry a spare entry door key in your wallet!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
Glad you got in
The compartment keys are Not the correct key

Check your spares find one of get one made, put one on your key ring
Just for this sort of thing might happen again
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s