cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LONG rear valve stems .....10" to 12"?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a 4x4 Class C with 2"spacer between rear wheels so tires won't rub when airing down on the beach. Had a blowout and tire guy threw away my 10" valve stem (I didn't see him do it) and he replaced with normal stem. Obviously, next to impossible to air down/up with inner tire, so, looking for place to get a new extra-long stem. It was 10 years ago when I added these and cannot remember how I found them. Checked ebay but no results and local tire shop only has 6" size. I cannot use the braided extensions (tried before but issues). Any leads where I can find these valve stems?
10 REPLIES 10

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those grommets are part of both Chuck's long-stem kits and the Borg kits from YourTireSupply, SixRobblees and others. For Ford, it's important to get the chassis year right. For years they used the 8-Round-Hand-Hole style and recently went back to 4-REAL-Hand-Hole as pictured above. I believe the valves themselves might be the same for both wheel types, but the Grommets are clearly different.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The black rubber grommet that fits in the hole in the rim....has a hole in it to seat the valve stem so it doesn't vibrate while in motion. If you get longer stems, be sure to ask for them.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use as support for this long of a stem ?
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news! And a kinda funny, too, since YourTireSupply is now the outlet for Chuck's competitor, "Borg" Dually Valves.
That confirms what so many have said here: Chuck Carvitto is a Good Guy!

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Called the Tireman as recommended on this board. He gave me a link to a tire shop (yourtireshopsupply.com) and they have numerous oversized one-piece valve stems from 6" to 12". Ordered 8 1/8" which should reach out past the 2" spacer and through the outer dual wheel for easy airing up/down when coming off the beach. Normally, standard 6" would work for most dually wheel but mine is kinda unique. Having used the braided extensions before with miserable results, it just makes sense to eliminate multiple connection points to ensure a secure seal when having to air up/down as frequently as I do.

Thanks for the replies!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a few of the above replies didn't notice the part about the spacer. This calls for a "Customized Custom Valve" so I'd also suggest getting Chuck on the phone. He says he's the manufacturer so he might just be able to make one for you.
If you had a "long" brass stem and needed "longer" it should be possible to braze a stretch piece into the middle of it. Just remove anything that isn't metal during the process. Or silver solder, even soft solder with flux like copper tubing, just allow 1/2" overlap at the joints. Come to think of it, a good epoxy would make for a fix you could do at home.
Call Chris at U-Joint in NC where he builds one-off 4x4 conversions. I'm sure you've tried offroad shops and commercial truck tire shops.
Last resort, a good-quality stainless-braided flexible Air-Less Extender. I think the one-piece custom brass valves are the ultimate, but many of us run extenders and few have problems. Just so long as that inconsiderate installer installed a METAL valve with the new tire.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
got our Monaco home for the showroom floor, and found the psi in the duals were 45psi, wow calls for 80-cold, and couldn't even add any air,till I put the valve extendions on. all in running a mh. now its all happy-camping

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, get valves from the Tireman. Love ours.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
the Tireman valve stem are what you want

TIREMAN
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a set from Tireman on my Chevrolet based Class C - they are great!

Tireman Link

He can answer your questions better than anyone here about his products.
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B