cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loud engine

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Falcon on a Dodge B350 with a 360 motor. I notice it's very loud when starting to move or climbing a hill starting at a slow speed. Is this normal. I know it has a lot of weight to get moving and is working hard, but I'm surprised how loud it is.

I've had the camper about four months, but hasn't been used much since I acquired it. Hopefully, the weather will cool down and I can use it a lot before it gets too cold.

Don A.
14 REPLIES 14

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the 80's the thermostatic fan clutch failed on my first Class B, which was a 1979 Ford E250 with the 351 Windsor engine. That vehicle didn't have a tach so, at first, like others, I thought the extreme roaring noise (which didn't go away) was caused by high engine revs due to transmission slippage. But I finally figured out that the fan clutch had failed. I was on the road at the time so purchased a new clutch to put on when I got home. But since I still had over a 1000 miles to go and I couldn't stand the constant roar anymore, I ended up changing it out at our campsite. As others point out, it's normal for the fan clutch to engage for a short time when the engine is cold or kick in if the engine temps get on the higher side.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
tatest description is accurate for those with thermostatic fans such as on diesel Sprinters and many cars nowadays. But for the 360 engine on donrebcyt vehicle I would be surprised if it has the free wheeling clutch system but likely the fan connected to the flywheel with no clutch.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A loud roar is usually the cooling fan. The circumstances of loud noise are being in lower gears when engine is hot, so that the fan is engaged, and when the engine is cold and you are starting from a standstill, so that it has not yet declutched.

If your engine fan is spinning full load all the time, the fan clutch needs to be replaced. These are designed to make "engage" the failure mode, to ensure a flow of cooling air when you ate not moving. Thermostatic fan clutches operate based on temperature of air flowing past the clutch, so often may not come on until after you've climbed the hill and raised the temperature in the radiator.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try when I go camping later this week, if it doesn't get too hot.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Does sound like slipping transmission. I had it once and when I put it in drive,held down the foot brake and accelerated I felt the transmission slipping.It shouldnt do that as the vehicle should basically stall. Mine needed mid range bands adjusted(2nd gear in that car).Try my rather elementary procedure. I did not need a new transmission!!

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the ideas. It's actually a loud roar as the camper starts moving. It soon quiets down as speed picks up and it upshifts. I sure as heck don't need a transmission problem. Maybe its' normal.

I don't know any mechanics around here, and I'm leery of dealerships. I've spent a lot of money for shoddy service too many times to have much faith in them.

Don

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Did someone steal the catalytic converter? I had a cow-orker who thought that his car sounded better after a weekend around Austin, but while he was out around town, someone managed to cut off and remove it.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Dodge mechanic check it out. All we can do is constructive guessing. :>))
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of "loud"? Is it pulsating, intermittent, metallic,booming, or other? If a transmission is slipping(often 2nd gear) the engine is louder due to increased rpms. Heterodyne booming is sometimes experienced with older tranmissions and the sound can be a loud pulsating/booming. The 360 is a tough engine and usually not loud running. As noted it could be an exhaust problem or loose manifold, usually exhaust. But that noise is mostly a rattling on acceleration. Hmmm..

Al

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Second checking the fan clutch. Some(times) fan engages at low rpm until fluid warms and thins a little (assuming you have a fluid fan clutch).

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Along with all of the other work I need to do, I'll have the exhaust system checked.

Hope all of you can get out and use your B's.

cps68500
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a fan clutch let go on me and was stuck rotating at engine speeds full time. I can't explain the loud roar that came from that engine bay...
2014 Heartland Prowler 28BHS

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone inspect the exhaust system for leaks, be sure to inspect the exhaust manifolds.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
That is a stout engine.