cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low batteries

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
Ok - I admit it, the weather and general laziness has left me with batteries not strong enough to start my motorhome. It has been extremely cold!!! Now what do I do to jump it or somehow charge the batteries enough to start it? I am new to this and know I sound clueless.

Thanks for any help!

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
danddclydes wrote:
You are right and not harsh, read through the manual and it is very general and not specific to my coach, I would guess this is a common problem. Actually it even has some pictures of a set up that appear no where in my MH. Don't mind the reality check and appreciate the help.

Well then, I guess MH manufacs have gotten bad at writing manuals? My manuals tell a different story. But then again I own a 2000 SeaView. Maybe things have gotten bad out there in the industry.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
PianoTuna, I have equalized wet cell batteries which are on the house, but on the chassis they are usually AGM sealed batteries which should only be equalized if the batteries are showing signs of not holding a charge.

Since this coach charges both house and chassis at the same time, and you have wet and AGM, I think that the charging rate might be different. I notice on my coach where it has different settings for wet or AGM on the inverter/charger. Not sure Don.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Ray,

He took them down to 7 volts, and left them at that level for days. Just charging them won't be enough.

RayChez wrote:
I do not agree that the batteries need to be equalized just yet, since it is a 2014 coach, but in six months it is recommended for your wet batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
It seems I have a lot to learn about the batteries, I am sure I am only scratching the surface of what I still have to learn, but it is fun doing it. Once I got her started and the generator started the batteries showed almost 14v. I kept it running for about 2 hours this afternoon. Still too much snow on the roof and cold to move but getting closer. I sure will feel better when this weather breaks.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
danddclydes wrote:
I just went out to check on my batteries, both the chassis and house batteries were reading 12.7v... Engine and generator both started immediately. Still only about 10F but making progress. I guess just being plugged in for the night was enough to bring the batteries back up.

You must have your chassis batteries and house batteries connected to get charged with your inverter/charger. Most coaches will only have the house batteries hooked up to the Invertor/charger.

But that is good, now take it for a good drive and use that nice coach.

I do not agree that the batteries need to be equalized just yet, since it is a 2014 coach, but in six months it is recommended for your wet batteries.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
danddclydes wrote:
I just went out to check on my batteries, both the chassis and house batteries were reading 12.7v... Engine and generator both started immediately. Still only about 10F but making progress. I guess just being plugged in for the night was enough to bring the batteries back up.
Nope. Both batteries should be in the 13+ volt range not 12.7. Why? Because when you charge batteries there is a "surface charge" that remains on them for at least 24 hrs. This surface charge will show higher than resting voltage on the batteries. If you just went out and looked at them while they're still being charged and it says 12.7V, they are not anywhere near full.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi danddclydes,

You really ought to desulphate and equalizes the batteries. Charge the house bank at 2 amps for 168 hours (yes that is one week). Then proceed with the equalize and desulphate.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
You are right and not harsh, read through the manual and it is very general and not specific to my coach, I would guess this is a common problem. Actually it even has some pictures of a set up that appear no where in my MH. Don't mind the reality check and appreciate the help.

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
danddclydes wrote:
Sorry for not being clear... It is a Diesel, 2014 Newmar Ventana LE.. I tried the boost button but not sure if I was supposed to push and hold and for how long to try to get it to start. Also it is about 15F currently ( really envy those of you in Florida )

RTFM, that's what there for. Your manual will EXPLAIN everything you need to know about your MH. I suggest you start reading. For those of you who will want to beat on me for being harsh, go for it! There are a lot of us who don't have the luxury of having manuals, but I'll bet he does since his MH is a 2014. And, who knows, you just might learn something in the process.....

-paul

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
I plugged in to shore power last night, only 20 amps so giving it some time. It has been brutally cold here this year. I think if I can get her started today I am going to point south and drive to I run out of fuel... of course this year that would probably still mean it was below freezing.

hardtobe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Are you in a diesel or a gas RV? More information is needed.

If you have a block heater, plug it in for at least three hours before attempting to start. While that is running put a battery charger on the starter batteries.

To prevent this from happening again add a Trik-l-Start, or an Amp-l-Start unit between the "house" batteries and the chassis battery bank.

His signature shows diesel? and I agree with what your saying about run block heater and charger assuming its still cold.The battery minder works well assuming he has power where its stored otherwise just disconnect the start batterys

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Unless You plan to drive the Rig for several Miles to properly warm it up don't even attempt to start the Engine. There is no benefit in idling a Diesel Engine as it will never warm up !
That said You should definitely plug in some kind of charger to get those Batteries up to snuff!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
There is the possibility that 7V reading was from a 6V battery. Newmar probably has 6V banks in series for 12V for the house. The house batteries may not be too bad. You should have a switch that says "store" and "use" (mine is 11 years older than yours) and you should use the "Store" position when not in use. My MH is stored in a barn with "store" selected and I fully expect it to start right up if the snow ever quits. 120" and counting on snow.

This is very possible: count the caps: three on a battery = 6 volt battery. 6 six caps (often two groups of 2) = 12 volt battery.