cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low Mileage, Still Change the Oil?

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco on the Ford 450, I put less than a 1000 miles on the last oil change five months ago. Geeze, maybe a dumb question, but with such low miles do I still need an oil change before our long trip this month?
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK
10 REPLIES 10

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Better to change it in the fall or the spring?

I see Briggs & Stratten recommend fall for the lawn mower. A mechanic friend told me he had seen some bad pitting on hard metal engine surfaces after the vehicle had sat for a long time with dirty oil.

Briggs & Stratten
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, very good information and you have eased my mind. Heading from Colorado to California next week.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
tatest wrote:

With today's 5000 mile interval recommendations (Ford's schedule for Ford spec semisynthetic)

Since at least 2008, Ford recommends every 7,500 miles or every 6 months.

We haven't put 7,500 miles on the motorhome a year for several years now, so I change the oil at the beginning of every year.

-Michael
This is exactly what I do and matter of fact, I did it yesterday getting ready for a trip next week. I change it before the first trip each year. I had only 386 miles on the last oil because of wife's surgeries last year we did not use it a lot. I know, that is not many miles but I was just doing what I always do so I changed it.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I do mine once a year when I have the state inspection done. If the mileage is high, like on a coast to coast trip, I will have the oil changed when the right mileage is reached. It's been a long time since I put that many miles on the MH.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Change it being careful to put it in a clean container so I can recycle it for you into one of my vehicles. :B
OH, never mind, I see you are in CO. No need to change it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

With today's 5000 mile interval recommendations (Ford's schedule for Ford spec semisynthetic)

Since at least 2008, Ford recommends every 7,500 miles or every 6 months.

We haven't put 7,500 miles on the motorhome a year for several years now, so I change the oil at the beginning of every year.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I consider the time period recommendations (variously 3 months, 6 months, annually) to be for vehicles that are driven regularly, but not very far. A lot of short trips will be harder on the oil than mileage built up with long trips.

Thus if I put a vehicle into storage for two years after an oil change, I will not be taking it out every six months for another oil change. The oil, nor addititives, will not deteriorate in storage conditions.

With today's 5000 mile interval recommendations (Ford's schedule for Ford spec semisynthetic), I would not worry too much about what happens to the oil on a long trip. If a change enroute at about 5000 miles is convenient, I would do it. If the trip is going to take me just over 5000, or maybe even 6000 or so, I'll let it wait until I get back. There is a lot of margin in that oil life estimate.

FWIW, the oil life estimator on my 2012 Honda Fit will push the change notification out to 8000-9000 miles when I was using the car mostly for long trips, highway driving. Honda's semisynthetic spec is the same as Ford's. Ford's calculator on my E-350 van, however, is watching the odometer, and says "oil change needed" right at 5000 miles after the reset.

Get the oil analyzed? Maybe to track potential problems, but not to save money on oil changes. My Ford dealer does an oil and filter change on my van for $10, the motorhome for $20, and I can get a $20 oil and filter change from Honda for the Fit. An analysis costs more than that. The oil costs more than that.

However, if you are worried about it, get the oil and filter changed before you go, or do it yourself. Even if your costs aren't as low as mine, usually going in before a trip it gets your tires, driveline, belts, hoses, and all fluid levels inspected. They do this with the hope of selling you something. My dealer even does a quick battery test when he does a $10 oil change.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically I think most manufacturers suggest x miles (or by a computer that monitors engine operating conditions) or once per year, whichever comes first. At any rate, five months and 1000 miles does not indicate the need of an oil change. If your trip is very long, it may be due sometime during the trip.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as you put it away hot just change by miles only. Certainly not more than once a year.
Worst case get the oil analyzed.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would get it changed while on the trip. Maybe in a thousand or so miles
Traveling with my best friend my wife!